It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Removing my belief system from my life (Bible, Cross and American Flag)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by In nothing we trust
I'm very close to throwing my 200 year old family bible, on display under the cross, in the trash can
Newer bible for reading on top (Because the 200 year old version has brittle pages)

Removing the cross hanging on the wall, inside the front doorway

And removing my American Flag over my front entrance way

Is this a mistake?

If so why?

Am I clinging onto outdated ideas?
edit on 14-11-2010 by In nothing we trust because: (no reason given)

Why didn't you just post "I want attention, please all of you 'enlightened' people now claim I'm waking up and give me lots of stars and flags"

That's essentially what you're going after here. Your Bible, the Cross, and American Flag are three separate items that represent three separate things.

My guess is, by you lumping them together, you actually don't have any of the three because you sound like you're trying to be a "disenfranchised" Red State voter.... or at least what the American left would have you believe they all are.

Nice scam though...

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

If nothing else, hold onto the 200 year old family bible for its historic value.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
First I must say I understand where your coming from, But to punish the objects for the actions of man isn't right. The object itself has no power to harm you but the wielders intent is what matters.

In My personal opinion many items have been destroyed throughout history from misunderstanding or fear or pain. And through that we lose the history of those objects. Where they have been and who has owned them.

If an object is 2 or 200 years old it holds history in it. When we feel it may not be significant to savor the personal history we fail to see it may benefit the whole in knowing all the little pieces of personal history to make a history of society and mankind.

Of course you are right at the moment it is yours to do with as you wish, but for that to have occurred over 200 years it must have also been the choice of previous holders. Nothing is lost in protecting these objects but if they are destroyed they cannot be regained.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghaleon12

People have the opportunity to have their own ideas, develop them. But don't make excuses for why you hold the ideas you do. It's not about what others do, or "I'm this way because of others", make it your own.

Like it or not we are all the product of our upbringing and surroundings.

Your beliefs are founded upon your environment

I'd have to disagree with both of these posts, both are only partly true.

We are a product of the environment in which we grow up insofar as it prepares us for the future decisions we must make with our free will and ability to choose our future.

Meaning of course that we cannot blame others for our own actions, but at the same time we have a responsibility to differentiate a good choice from a poor one based on what we have learned growing up.

Personal responsibility is what helps us differentiate in these decisions.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   

I can resign from religion or even from my wedding vows, but I would never resign from my nationality.
Whatever this or that government is doing I can agree or not, I can vote or not I can even pay taxes or not, but why let others and their doings uproot me? no way

EDIT: im not that nationalist at all I dont know why I posted in such terms, Im down with the flu (true)
edit on 15-11-2010 by deathmetalofcourse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by LurkingSleipner

We are a product of the environment in which we grow up insofar as it prepares us for the future decisions we must make with our free will and ability to choose our future.

Meaning of course that we cannot blame others for our own actions, but at the same time we have a responsibility to differentiate a good choice from a poor one based on what we have learned growing up.

Personal responsibility is what helps us differentiate in these decisions.

Sort of. Its taken me a lifetime to understand you can not blame things on your childhood. You can't go backward - you can only go forward. Holding On is restrictive. Letting Go is freedom.

Everyone is a product of "life lessons" - - to turn the negative into positive - - first requires the mindset that you not only have the right to do so - - you must do so.

Choice is the key word. Unfortunately - - not everyone "wakes up" to understand they have choice.

Choice is a Responsibility that has to be deliberately taken. Many people "fall through life" following what ever path they stumble onto - - - and never reach the point/knowledge of responsible Choice.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   

I have tossed them as well. They are all symbols of egoic devisions set to further separate you from the truth that we are all family, connected and part of the creator God.

Religion, Nation and symbols trap your mind/spirit/thought patters into the us / them mentality, the right / wrong good /evil etc. When we know better.

How are we to truly "Love, Accept, Forgive and Enlighten" our brothers and sisters if we draw the lines ahead of time, if we judge them right away?

Christ did not come to start a religion.
We are our brothers keepers.

Namaste

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   

I'm very close to throwing my 200 year old family bible, on display under the cross, in the trash can
Newer bible for reading on top (Because the 200 year old version has brittle pages)

Removing the cross hanging on the wall, inside the front doorway

And removing my American Flag over my front entrance way

Is this a mistake?

If so why?

Am I clinging onto outdated ideas?
edit on 14-11-2010 by In nothing we trust because: (no reason given)

Regardless of what religious dogma you believe in - an item that holds a symbolical energy to you should be kept. It is the meaning that creates the energy which protects you.

A talisman is exactly the same thing.

Another way to make the symbol "immortal" would be to burn it and in doing so creating that memory that will always be with you and a part of you.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Meh, you can toss the stuff out if you want, but it won't make you any wiser..once you no longer have ultra passion for the objects you mention, then you are reaching the age of reason.

the bible is a neat sci-fi book with a bit of truth thrown in..its a interesting book to research and try to figure out what they were speaking about in the OT...bunch of cavemen meeting an advanced race is my opinion.

the cross is just an idol..silly thing to have even if you were all full of faith...totem.

the flag is not religion..why do you hold it in the same light? I have a little flag, and I see America as a nice place to live...certainly not the most free, or even the best based on any single reason...but its my home and I enjoy it. Politics does not dictate to me my personal happiness in my home or community...there is no senator or congressmen in my kitchen telling me why I should hate today.

The old bible...well, its a book...and a book, be it lord of the rings, the bible, or a dilbert future, should never be tossed...give it away to someone whom can make use of it, or simply box it...bad mojo to trash or burn a book..and it simply shows you still feel super passionate over the influence of it..your not ready for reason.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by 11118

Another way to make the symbol "immortal" would be to burn it and in doing so creating that memory that will always be with you and a part of you.

I thought it was the other way round. I once burned a peice of paper with something on it that I wanted to put far behind me. Are you saying that by doing that I've actually made it so that I'm going to always be stuck with what was on that paper?

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I just want to be clear on something. I think age of person is a factor.

Different ages/times in life seem to have their own importance. There are things I "finalized" in my younger years - - I wish I could take back.

Now in my mid 60s - - I tend to reminisce and reflect on the path my life took.

So if you are young or fairly young - - consider storing it - giving it away - or selling it.

If you are ancient like me - - and you feel this way - - burn it. Release any hold it has on you.
edit on 15-11-2010 by Annee because: bad keys

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

I would keep them, or at least maybe ebay. Might be someone willing to pay a lot for the book, if you are determined to rid it from your life.

Why it's just an old book that liars use to get ahead

Burning books, my foolish friend, has always been the way of tyrants and madmen who wish to keep knowledge from furthering.

If you wish to no longer be a Christian, that's fine. Yet, don't share the book burner's passion that if you dislike the knowledge it gives, the only way to remove of it is turn to burn it away forever.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual

Originally posted by 11118

I thought it was the other way round. I once burned a peice of paper with something on it that I wanted to put far behind me. Are you saying that by doing that I've actually made it so that I'm going to always be stuck with what was on that paper?

It is the emphasis you put on the event. The object is only empowered by the mutual relationship between you and the object.

So if you believed that you were burning it to leave it behind you, then yes, that is what you have chosen to do - a ritual in a sense.

Talismans, symbols, whatever you want to call them are objects that you use to bring back that emotion or state of mind e.g. a magic personality. For example I have a sun talisman that when ever I hold or am in the presence of it brings me back to a certain mind state or understanding, a good example is archetypes.
edit on 15-11-2010 by 11118 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Hypno-frog...

Taking control - can't fight it.....

What was I doing?

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Take em down.

Without those symbols you are still the same individual. They mean nothing more than what you want them to mean. When they are on display you say to all who enter your house, "this is what i represent". You don't ever need to do that. You represent YOU not your country or belief system. Anything can be a cult if you act like a cult member.

K

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
My suggestions-

- don't throw the bible. Throw the idea of the bible being a religious symbol out of your mind.
keep it as a very old book passed down your family. its almost an heirloom.

- the cross. if you really wanted to throw it, you probably would already have by the time you read. Your religious beliefs are your own & no one can or should make that up for you.

- The flag is just another colored piece of cloth, use it, throw it, display, makes no difference to the cloth or to anyone. It would probably always remind you of the scheming nature of man to create boundaries & divisions

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   

It appears that you are prepared to rebuild your belief system, this time making a conscious decision with each inclusion. This is definitely a good thing. Doing this will make it easier for you to reconsider any future aspects of your belief system that aren't working: you will be able to tweak it much more easily because you are more aware of what is in it any why.

On the one hand, mental and spiritual actions like these can be enhanced in their effectiveness by using a ritual to signify the act. This is because the action is perceived subconsciously (and energetically) as a turning point to be looked back upon. In other words, it will be easier for you to remind yourself that you are starting afresh if you actually do burn the Bible and the flag because that memory will motivate you when you question yourself in the future.

On the other hand, you were raised an American Christian. That does not mean that you must continue to consider yourself a Christian or an American. However, it does mean that you are more familiar with Christianity than any other spiritual belief system and with American culture than any other culture. When you rebuild your belief system, you will probably pick and choose bits of Christianity that you liked, while leaving out the rest. You will also pick and choose bits of American culture that you like. This is how revolutions work, both internally and externally. Ultimately, any revolution is not a complete revolution at all; rather, it is an act of separating the wheat from the chaff.

Years from now, when you are no longer lashing out against Christianity and America, you will remember what you once loved about them. But even though you love them you will know that they cannot remain what they are and they cannot go back to what they were. Now endowed with such a broad perspective, you may even call yourself a "patriot" and a "Christian" again -- but few will know what you mean when you use those words. So if you burn the Bible and the flag, it is possible that you will regret having done it sometime in the future.

My Advice:

Historically speaking, I have usually burned my Bibles and flags.But years later when I come to realize that those things are still close to my heart, I have usually accepted that the action was necessary for my revolution to occur. So it doesn't bother me much that I no longer have keepsakes I would like.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
If you are changing your belief system, here is some advice that works for me.

Devoting yourself to god is only as good as you want it to be, I mean when it boils down to it, god just makes you feel better at the end of a hard day.

What I believe is in doubt, nobody on earth knows what happens when you die, they can tell you they do but they are lying to further their own agendas.

I meditate, it gives you the same good feeling as religion does, and you do not feel bad when you think you're doing something wrong [sin]

It makes me feel like a free person, without devoting myself to 1 god I can believe whatever I want to, which to me is better than believing in a set system of rules and regulations [bible] that can cause stress.

Also I would not burn anything, just box it up, esp. a family relic, then you can open it up someday in the future and think about how you were feeling when you decided to change beliefs, All we can have in our lives is memories, and without memories whats left?

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I am in the military and I know what u mean about the lack of patriotism, but as far as the bible goes I cant see why you would do that! God has not forsaken you. The bible gives you insight on what is happening now and what will happen. Particularly, the details of the next world war, peace in the middle east, and the coming food inflation is in revelation.(rider on the black horse). I personally think that in these tough times you have to believe in something, and true patriotism and true christianity would really help. The NWO aka the kingdom of the beast aka the vatican/the U.N. want to rid the world of national sovereignty don't give in to them. Have faith in the Lord, because he has faith in you; amen

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
i dont know if you watch the news alout or not. but when i stoped watching stuff like fox news and listaning to rush and all thows outher haters and doomsdayers , and just started going about my normal life. iv started to realize this contry isent nearly as bad as its made out to be. its actualy a beutifull place with mostly good like minded hardworking people

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join