It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Removing my belief system from my life (Bible, Cross and American Flag)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
They're just objects, but why would you throw them away if they still have some significant meaning to you?
BTW it would be smarter to sell them in my opinion or give them away instead of throwing them out.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Endtime Warrior

Originally posted by In nothing we trust
I'm not a troll, just angry that's all. I don't even know who to be mad at anymore. Anyone and everyone will do I guess.

What are you angry about? Where is most of that anger directed at?

Myself

But it's not my fault really

I am a victim of my surroundings, but I am not a victim. Never be a victim. I chose my surroundings, so rather I did the best I could given my situation.

Nothing

What might the affects of these idols have upon my children?

Being rid of them could prove to be a weight off of my shoulders.

Warrior

Who knows? What makes you think they wouldn't find idols in something else? Kids will have to think for themselves, you won't hold hands with them when you're dead.

Again the eternal question.

What would I have my children believe?
edit on 14-11-2010 by In nothing we trust because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

Well I've said it before, its a fight for your mind. In the past they seduced the minds with magic, in the present they use technology. Perhaps they are one and the same? Hmmm.....

These objects are the least of your problems, from one parent to another.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana

They're just objects, but why would you throw them away if they still have some significant meaning to you?

It would be more satisfying to have a bonfire.

Many have said sell it.

It is mine to do with as I please.

I say burn it.

How will you stop me?

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   

I'm very close to throwing my 200 year old family bible, on display under the cross, in the trash can
Newer bible for reading on top (Because the 200 year old version has brittle pages)

Removing the cross hanging on the wall, inside the front doorway

And removing my American Flag over my front entrance way

Is this a mistake?

If so why?

Am I clinging onto outdated ideas?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Do not throw out your family bible, this has your family history within it's pages. We are all on a personal journey of faith and love through learning.

Don't remove your cross, this is the positive energy of you!

The American flag has done great things for this world. Keep your faith in your country my friend. You have a friend in Australia, Great Britain and most other nations.

Trust yourself in life my friend. We are all on a spiritual journey through the rough circumstances of life! You have great power if you open your heart and mind. Your spirit will rise to amazing heights!

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Lol...I don't want to stop you. I'm not religious or a patriot extremist. Do what you want with them.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Archangelelijah

Do not throw out your family bible, this has your family history within it's pages.

Don't remove your cross, this is the positive energy of you!

The American flag has done great things for this world.

Keep your faith in your country my friend.

Family bible - Indeed my family history is deep

The cross - I dunno if it is positive energy - seems pretty stupid to honor the object upon which someone was killed - Even if you don't believe in christ you should understand that the Romans used the cross as a means to execute people - So what is really being remembered - The means of killing people who objected to tyrants and the state?

The flag - It's just a piece of cloth - It can be replaced - We will fight for the same ideals for the new flag

We are rebellion

We are free from oppression

We are freedom

Try and kill an idea

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghaleon12

People have the opportunity to have their own ideas, develop them. But don't make excuses for why you hold the ideas you do. It's not about what others do, or "I'm this way because of others", make it your own.

Like it or not we are all the product of our upbringing and surroundings.

Your beliefs are founded upon your environment

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by Annee

I'm very close to throwing my 200 year old family bible, on display under the cross, in the trash can

please don't destroy family treasures.

I just lied to you all it's from 1880.

So that only makes it 130 years old, not 200.

Close enough. Actually - I'm not sure you are being sincere or baiting on this subject.

But - I'm an Atheist and keep my family bible 100+ years old packed professionally for preservation.

Just in case????

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Newer bible for reading on top (Because the 200 year old version has brittle pages)

Removing the cross hanging on the wall, inside the front doorway

And removing my American Flag over my front entrance way

Is this a mistake?

If so why?

Am I clinging onto outdated ideas?

Sure it is a mistake I think. The family history should be honored and so should the flag because of what it represents, even though our country is not what it used to be. But when you group them all together it tells me that flag and religion are bound together in your mind. This is a popular idea but it is also troublesome as it tends to represent the fact that America has an official religion. It does not.

"Clinging to outdated ideas" is what conservatives do all the time. It could be that you are beginning to wake up and to realize that the past is the past and we should not want to bring it back. Since this is a liberal thesis perhaps you are beginning to think in liberal terms.

Try this. Pretend you are a moderate politically, socially and religiously. Take the best of what conservatism offers, combine it with the best of what liberalism offers and consider the result. The two of these is what has kept our country healthy for so long. When we drop one entirely in favor or the other we err greatly. We need both. Honor your family and flag but do not be limited in your thinking by them.

What do you think?

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   

I dont think the dramatics of throwing any of it away will do you any good. Maybe something to take your mind off what is eating at you and then coming back to it would be a good idea.

Symbols such as those items you mentioned should be looked at through your own perception. Anything can be used in anyway. Some may use objects such as the Bible to get rich and to get ahead of others. Other people use it as a tool to help themselves when in stressful situations. Some use it to help remove burden and find solice.

It shouldnt matter how other people are using those objects. It should matter what you use them for.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiponbothshoulders
Be warned,not believing in anything will make you free.

Most people do not take witnessing the freedom of another well.

Be discreet,.
Great post! Very true. I am very happy for the freedom of others.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by chiponbothshoulders

The secret is that there is no box. Once people realize this they will be freed of all constrictive,non-productive thinking, and by extension, freed from all of the objects and ideas that forced them into a 'box' in the first place.

One must also strive to act their way to a new way of thinking, not the other way around, in order to achieve real results.

Just my two bits, for what it's worth...

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Maybe someone else in your family would appreciate the items. If it were mine, I would check with them before I did anything. The 200-year-old bible may have some sentimental value or even monetary value.

A few years ago, I was going through some old books to get rid of them and I let go of the bible I've had since I was a child. It represented my mother more than religion, but I've been removing attachments from my life and it felt like the right thing to do. I haven't missed it one bit. In fact, I'm glad I let it go. My husband recently got rid of his, too.

I believe that belief systems hold us down and keep us from seeing clearly and changing for the better.The more attachments I can get rid of, the freer I am.

Good luck in your decision.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Good for you!

Get rid of the shackles of religion and the trappings of nationalism!!

I wouldn't sell the bible though, even if it's old, I personally wouldn't want to pass it on to anyone that might read it and believe it

Just my opinion.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   

You gotta do what you gotta do mate. However, I would give the bible to someone who may use it or respect and preserve it. I have a feeling you won't do that though given you came on ATS to talk about it. I think what you really want is for someone to talk you out of doing it.

IRM

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

If he wanted somebody to talk him out of doing it he wouldn't have been so defensive to every idea or opinion posted. In saying that though I got no idea what OP intended to do by starting this thread. It's very vague.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual

If he wanted somebody to talk him out of doing it he wouldn't have been so defensive to every idea or opinion posted. In saying that though I got no idea what OP intended to do by starting this thread. It's very vague.

Hi Nventual. I haven't read the thread yet... just replied to the Op. Sounds like a waste of time then.

Cheers man!

IRM

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Just because liars have used the Bible to get ahead doesn't mean that there isn't truth there.

Just because most of America has lost their way doesn't mean that the way is no longer there.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   

He made another thread after this one telling "them" to come kill him already. Confusing stuff. I thought it might have been a psychotic break so I didn't say too much. He hasn't been back since so I'm sorta worried.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join