It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Machu Picchu Endangered?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 01:20 AM
link   
according the U.N. evaluators, the case may very well be. due to extensive tourism, with an average of 1,000 tourists a day, machu picchu's stone structures are in danger. as much as a place of are past should be explored and cherished, it is in my opinion, those trying to capitalize on history that are in fact destroying it for future generations.
news.yahoo.com.../ap/20040629/ap_on_sc/peru_machu_picchu_3

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Tourism to underdeveloped areas can indeed be both a blessing and a curse. It's the focus of the 2005 Society for Applied Anthroplogy's annual meeting, in fact.

I'm not sure there's an extremely good answer, here. The area is very poor and the income has been a real boon to the economy. There has to be a lot of thoughtful planning taking place to fix the problems that are already cropping up ... everything from improving roads to dealing with trash to improving physical security... and beyond.

There's certainly no instant answer.

We're seeing problems like this in the US with the overcrowding of national parks. As I understand it, traffic in and out of Yellowstone makes it very difficult to use the place. Denali (Alaska) seemed fairly well controlled, but I'm not sure about the status of other places.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   
One of our Torah Code website's associates has spent considerable time in Peru, including Macchu Picchu, the oldest city in the Western hemisphere. The "wear and tear" on the ancient city shouldn't cause anyone to lose sleep. There really isn't much left, and its slow destruction had nothing to do with tourism.

If you'd like to see a close-up pic of what is left of it, you can click this link: onealclan0.tripod.com...

Interestingly the city sits atop a tall egg shaped rock mountain, just like the mountain in the pic's background. The most amazing part of this is just how the builders were able to build anything at all atop its peak.

RWO - www.onealclan.com

new topics

join