It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope unveils Vatican Library exhibit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   

www.catholicnews.com

Popes unavailing of library as a public spectacle.

VATICAN CITY (CNS) -- Not only an extraordinary repository of the knowledge of mankind, the Vatican Library also is a "precious tool" for pontiffs in their governance of the church, Pope Benedict XVI said as a new exhibit highlighting the 500-year-old institution opened at the Vatican.

The opening of the show combining state-of-the-art technology with centuries-old treasures offered the pope the occasion to praise the library's collection of human thought from antiquity to the 21st century.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 14-11-2010 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
(The following is in Satire format)
I found this news to be very humorous in my opinion. Much of it is to "show off" Vatican's collection of unique art, manuscripts, power, money, and beauty. Ooops did I said power? I see many problems within the article.

The Vatican Library, he said [Pope Benedict], "has preserved, since its origins, a unique and truly 'catholic' and universal openness to all that is beautiful, good, noble and worthy that humanity has produced over the course of centuries."

Apparently the only good worthy noble things must be Catholics in my understanding of the popes universal love.

But wait... We have ground breaking information and comments such as this

In its mission to preserve such heritage, the pope said, the library has always been open to "all those who search the truth" without any "confessional or ideological discrimination." In fact, he said, it has collected works on all aspects of human thought and therefore "is not a theological or primarily religious library."

Could this be the open house at vatican libarary that we are looking for? don't all of us seek the truth? Can I bring my monster energy drink in the house of MS?

But the library is off-limits for most. Only the most highly qualified and accredited scholars have access to the vast and varied collection of books, manuscripts and prints that line the Vatican Library's 31 miles of shelves.

Shot down like columbine. Obviously this is nothing new to most public, but it is yet frustrating that you need a 8 year college study in the divine before you get accepted.

So what is this experiance and exhibit about?

The exhibit was conceived "to allow all those who don't have the privilege to enter" to get to know the library, Cardinal Farina said at a news conference at the Vatican Nov. 9. He said the show would illustrate how the Vatican Library "is the patrimony of all humanity."

Great marketing guys. But where do I pick up my library card at?

www.catholicnews.com

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
the headline snippet needs a few more words "to distract from all of the child molestors."

frankly, they are running out of ways to get good p.r. i think

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Obviously you have some kind of beef with the Catholic Church. Yes, the Church has money and used to have an enormous amount of power. Why is this bad? At any institution, you need to be a member to view their resources (university library can only be used by students/faculty for example). Why should the Church's archives be any different?

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Portugoal
Obviously you have some kind of beef with the Catholic Church. Yes, the Church has money and used to have an enormous amount of power. Why is this bad? At any institution, you need to be a member to view their resources (university library can only be used by students/faculty for example). Why should the Church's archives be any different?

Not only is vatican hiding secret documents for themselves, they offer a library of "truth" to only a select few. I am Catholic by birth right, but I still have a hard time understanding how you can praise yourself as the most spiritual denomination on earth and still be the most powerful/wealthiest organization on the planet. Because that is what it is, an organization.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River

www.catholicnews.com

Popes unavailing of library as a public spectacle.

VATICAN CITY (CNS) -- Not only an extraordinary repository of the knowledge of mankind, the Vatican Library also is a "precious tool" for pontiffs in their governance of the church, Pope Benedict XVI said as a new exhibit highlighting the 500-year-old institution opened at the Vatican.

The opening of the show combining state-of-the-art technology with centuries-old treasures offered the pope the occasion to praise the library's collection of human thought from antiquity to the 21st century.

I've always fantasized about raiding the Vat's library...

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Portugoal

not bad at all, to have money and power; -- if you`re goldman sachs or any corporate empire -- just hypocrisy at its finest: since catholic clergy vow to poverty...

not to mention they also vow to help the poor (it must be strictly spiritually i guess).

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by maoklein

Yeah I'd love to see that interest bearing annuity they have for the poor... oh wait.. that's right... they don't....

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I bet some of the infomation they release is blacked out and censored like every other important document to keep us still in the dark.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
november 14!
its here, ancient knowledge incoming

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Portugoal

Ok Im going to start this rant as a former catholic by birth.

Lets see since the Catholic Church has killed more people then Hitler and Stalin together, raped and pillaged whole peoples countries, cultures, religions, books, and young children...geee I have no idea why someone might have a beef with the Catholic Church...come on.

They have quashed knowledge and personal liberty for 2000 years. They have killed mutilated, burned at the stake and stolen more than any organized group in the known history of the west...I don't know, does that help you see the ops musing a lil better?

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Portugoal
At any institution, you need to be a member to view their resources (university library can only be used by students/faculty for example). Why should the Church's archives be any different?

Or, in the case of University Libraries, you pay for access.

Why should the Churches archives be any different? Well, I guess that otherwise their words about seeking truth are just lip service, especially if they are calling themselves a repository for the truths of all mankind!. Yes, in advance, I do have problems with the Catholic Church, but not to be aired here!

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
So you are annoyed that they are not letting every nut case and religious zealot into a library with documents as rare as an honest politician
Do you have any idea of the security problems of letting the world have access to these vaults ?? I am not interested in the library anyway give me access to the papal vault any day of the week and let me have a peek at the X Document and what Jesus really said

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by On the level
So you are annoyed that they are not letting every nut case and religious zealot into a library with documents as rare as an honest politician

No, I know how valuable and rare books etc are cared for and the degree of security involved. but, if someone had a subscription and wished to view the documents, why is it impossible to accompany them while they do, or maintain other security methods than just , for all incense and porpoises, have a blanket ban on access.

If these ARE such important documents for humanity, why are we not made aware of what they contain?

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
The best thing they should do is scan the whole archive and release it for free it would be preserved digitally forever and the original documents would be safe and they would only need to be accessed to be cleaned and preserved it doesnt seem like rocket science to me

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I am sure the real treasures have already been confiscated out of the library. Vatican has another vault somewhere.

I am officially calling this Vault Q.
HOPEFULLY i started something

top topics

join