It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interrogate Your Reality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
This came to mind about a week ago while I was outside watching a lightning storm. How can we be certain of everything in our visible reality, unless we go out using all of our senses to interrogate everything we can. What I mean by that is there could be fakes implemented, maybe that mountain is just some kind of back drop or that bird flying around is nothing more than a hologram.

Might look kind of insane kicking every blade of grass, going up and touching every person you come across, or smelling everything in your path, but I think its the only way to be 100% positive that everything in your reality is just as real as you are, because if you haven't physically gone out and touched, smelled, tasted everything then all you can go on is your sight and hearing, and those senses are easily tricked.

Its kind of like how when movie makers would need a large audience they usually won't go out and hire ten thousand extras they would get twenty and just copy paste them.

This is kinda what I mean about interrogating your reality, if we are living in a programmed reality then somewhere a programmer had to of taken shortcuts along the way, and those mistakes would be discernible to our senses.

Interrogating everything in our perceivable reality with a mass scale of people, kind of like beta testers finding glitches, etc. would probably be the best way, but the question is would we find any proof of our reality being generated, pulled over our eyes, blinding us from our true reality.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I don't believe we're living in an artificial reality but I enjoy the kind of philosophy.

The most recent version of the argument I would use is the tasty wheat example from the Matrix. We can only sample reality through what we're given, so if we've never been in reality we would have no idea really. Tasty wheat was maybe supposed to taste like chicken but how would we ever know through our senses? We wouldn't. We would accept that it's how a bird feels or how it reacts to reality. Even if the bird blinked out of existence we would have a reason for it.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
well this universe is supposidly holographic in reality as it is,so fake things can be implemented to look real right?
And nothing is solid, atoms have no solidity,its our brain creating an illusion by turning an electromagnetic vibrational field into something that looks real and physical but its just the same thing taken a different form.

we can be easily fooled though yes, and this could be how the few control the many

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by phiktion

Intriguing.. I wonder about this too.

The quantum physicists (unless they subscribe to a monistic idealism, whereby consciousness alone, not matter is primary) would tell us that the moon, when we are not looking at it, is nothing but a probability wave, and that's absurd.

I also wonder, what is actaully there, where there are no people of any kind, to observe, say in the mountain ranges of British Columbia for example, where there is no one at all. Is there a spirit there, is there awareness present? Or, because there's no one there to see it (ie: if no God as universal consciousness) is it just a probability wave? I can't accept that idea, it's too solipsistic, even more my tastes.

While fields and floods, rocks, hills and plains
Repeat the sounding joy,
Repeat the sounding joy,
Repeat, repeat, the sounding joy...

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
The thing that bakes my noodle is,if my consciousness controls what appears to be material,or matter,or perception....

What the heck is it that may supposedly-"Gray Matter"-,lump of goo in my head ?.

Maybe everything,is nothing,and maybe more.

edit on 14-11-2010 by chiponbothshoulders because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   

I promise not to hijack or kill this thread somehow.. but I wanted to add one more thing, and an S&F from me for the OP btw.

Given the findings of modern science, in particular the quantum measurement problem, and the fact of a quantum entanglement, this idea that you've raised here is, imho, the biggest mystery facing mankind at this particular moment in history.

The very best attempt at it's resolution, that I've found from my own research, may be contained in a book called "The Self Aware Universe" by a physicist by the name of Amit Goswami, who puts forth the idea of a Monistic Idealism, which he shows very effectively, is the only possible framework capable of resolving all the quantum paradoxes.

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1289778619&sr=8-1#_

If true, what it suggests about our observing and choosing self, is utterly astounding.

And finally, since that awareness which exists in the places where no one resides exists within an unknown, relative to our own observing self, I am then forced to conclude that everything is NOT a part of our own consciousness, at some level ie: it's all one. No, I am forced to conclude that the only rational or logical position to take, is that of an I-Thou relationship with a higher power universal consciousness who alone is conscious of everything, everywhere, including places like dead planets, and the moons of Saturn ie: when no high tech consciously aware sentients are visiting those locals! That the universal wave of probability IS actualized by virtue of the fact that it all resides, at some level (hyperdimensional implicate order) within the consciously aware "mind of God" or what some very smart people like Ervin Laszlo and Bernard Haish refer to as the Akaschic Field, the Zero Point Field, or simply, the Absolute. In other words, the objective reality actually exists in its own right independant of any individual observer, and so the moon is still really there even when we're not looking at it.

I don't know if that helps with the original question or premise, but it's helped me, so that I don't have to worry about any of it ie: there's a real reality of which I am only a part, albeit an integral part, and me I'm just happy to have been included, at ANY level. Grateful, to get to experience anything at all, since imo something is better than nothing.
edit on 14-11-2010 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   

kicking every blade of grass, going up and touching every
person you come across, or smelling everything in your path

its the only way to be 100% positive that everything
in your reality is just as real as you are

How could you be certain even then? If visual stimuli can be mimicked, who's to say that other senses aren't being maniuplated as well?

if we are living in a programmed reality then somewhere
a programmer had to of taken shortcuts along the way,
and those mistakes would be discernible to our senses.

But if someone were to live in such an environment their entire lives, how would they know to recognize a behavior as a "mistake?"

Consider gravity, for example. Is gravity "correct" or is it a programming mistake? If you think about it, it does seem kind of odd for objects to magically just start moving towards each other, doesn't it? But we've grown up with it being that way, so we think of it as normal. If we'd grown up in a world where birds randomly popped in and out of existence, we'd probably think of that as normal too.

What basis of comparison is there to use to evaluate our environment?

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

I want to follow your line-of-thought here... what if everyone were to look away from the moon at once, then look back. Can it change when not being observed or is observation not limited to being from human/animal sight. And the big question: Can our memories affect it?

Jus' ponderin'

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Planet teleX

I addressed that in my edit to my last post I think..

What's suggested, however, is that of an interdependant framework such that my inclusion, and yours, is indespensible, now that we're emersed within it ie: the whole of "it all" possesses absolute wholeness and integrity, from which nothing can be missing, and, since there is nothing that is not, we are very much an integral part of it all, so at the same time, it requires our participation, and if any part were removed from the entire framework, the whole thing would fall apart. We are INCLUDED, as in "it pleased the father to share his kingdom with all his children" and this brings peace of mind, at least to me it does. It also implies that there is in all truth, no such thing as "death" in the sense that most of us think, only, God forbid, exclusion in the form of annihilation, at least for that which isn't formative, constructive, creative, or fruitful. Thus there may also be moral imperatives for continued participation and inclusion ie: to move in increasing alignment with the higher will, so as to get ah re-assigned "well done my good and faithful servant, I see that you can be trusted in little things. Therefore now I will give you even greater things to do."

But no, the moon cannot be altered by our observing awareness or lack of it, or even by our collective imagination, or willpower, not imo.

That's it for me, thanks for an interesting thread!

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Well, I've touched, smelled, and tasted a variety of the female inhabitants in my reality and I'm pretty sure that most of 'em were "here."

Just bein' a goof of course, and I love the thrust of your conceptualization. At the very least, it has the possibility of making me more active. For example, and from your example, there's this mountain I've been looking at for years...I should go and check it out.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
One last thing - as it is an interesing idea worthy of consideration.

Re: Being everywhere at once.
It's not outside the realm of concievable, that the entire universe is a non-local holographic hyperdimensional illusion or projection, generated from the perspective - of a single, non-locally distributed, photon of light, just one, since, from the perspective of a single photon of light, there is no time, and everything is touching.

Just another thought to cook our noodle!

The real question then would become one not of "what", but of why...?

What a beautiful question, and all the MORE reason to go check out that mountain, or person, or object or experience.

This is why I like to say "in a non-localized, holographic universe, LOCAL MATTERS!"

What an honour and a priviledge then, to be included, and have the luxury of choosing where to go, what to investigate, who to see, the inheritance of the entire kingdom of heaven spread out before us in an endless domain of infinite possibility.

It's entirely possible, imho, that we were deluded, and that reality is by far more interesting and myterious, and inviting, than we were ever previously led ot believe or even suspect.

Thank you God for including me, and all these other people, in your plan and providence. And thank you for giving us the freedom to ask the question - what now? What really inspires me, in the space of nothing and everything?

So I think that a localized mutuality of human being then means everything, since it is no less important to love neighbor as self as it is to love God above all (whoever or whatever that may be we can NEVER say).

Interesting framework. Way to go Lord. It's all good, your creation is good, and it's only we who were f'd up in accordance with a terrible flaw in our thinking, blinded by the shadows on the wall, which would prevent us from seeing the light of truth, in your case God, a single photon of light, at that! Talk about efficiency and dominion over the all in all, all stars and plaents, all creatures great and small, above and below, forever and ever, ah amen. lol

i feel that i can relax now, and simply get busy living and enjoying the experience of life, how sad to be part of it all like this, and not DO much of anything of any value, perhaps the greatest of which reside in our current and future human relationships, and lightening storms.
edit on 14-11-2010 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Nice idea! But when I was watching that youtube series that explains cold fusion by 'seattle4truth', episode 13 shows this interesting experiment (even though it's animated) that electron particles act like waves and cause interference when left unobserved, but then act like predictable matter when observed - so 'reality' as we know it may only be perceived as physical mass BECAUSE you're observing the particles - so the pure act of observation could seems to take away the possibilities, so this makes me think that as soon as you observe something, you can no longer interrogate it because it's become part of your apparently 'fixed' physical reality.

I would advise to watch this series, but for relevance of this post, skip to about 8:25 to see the explanation of the behaviour of electron particles.

Great post, I'm not an expert at the quantum level, just getting to real grips with it atm, so if this isn't as relevant as I thought, then I'm sorry, but I hope it is

Peace ..v,

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   

just reposting your video for you

edit on 15-11-2010 by phiktion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Posting a thread like this can be dissected into many, many different forms. But I will put this is the simplest terms. When I came to this possible realization, was when recognizing the difference between us all based on the simplest things, such as touch, smell and sight.

What made liver the worst thing Ive tasted, and be the best meal for another? How could someone that I find unattractive, be the most beautiful person that someone else has ever seen? How can I like the smell of fish, and it makes another one sick to smell?

Because liver is liver, the taste isn't different just the way I perceive it. It could have one initial taste, but why so many different reactions to the same thing?

So I began thinking about how our lives may actual repeat which would make some things the same, with or without the memory of the taste or smell before. Our reactions may remain the same. Though this is a very fascinating subject, its one that I dont really feel everyone is prepared for. Our minds would spiral, and may never return to the way we saw, or heard, or smelled, or tasted before.

IMO the only real way we would be able to focus or ask ourselves the "real" questions, would be if there was a way for us to process it. Which as far as I know there isn't a "sane" way to do it.

S&F though as I do think this is a great subject.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Unity in diversity.

top topics

join