It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help Desk? – Where is my manual?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I always wonder, when i talk to male or female friends – about computers or dish washers, juicers, telephones, even about glasses or anything else.

Anything that comes along with a manual!

My female friends just read the manual, and know how to use the new item in the house.
They live happily with them until they have to buy a new item which they welcome by reading the manual again!

Not so the male friends.
I have the feeling that this is a default that comes along with manhood.
Maybe it is a gene park on the y-chromosome?

I don.t know really, but i would like to understand.

Men just don.t read manuals!
They just don.t do it!
They also don.t bother to read maps …… the female right next to him has to do it, and will be blamed if the direction is wrong, but if so the man will never ask somebody for a direction.

What is it about?
Do men think it will hurt them?
Maybe reading a manual will make them female all of a sudden, they might lose their male parts?

I mean why don.t you guys feel comfortable with reading manuals, maps or instructions?

Think of the time you are wasting in trying to solve a problem, to set up a new tool and finding out it doesn.t work they way you think!

Even experts have to admit that todays washing machines, dish washers, cars, cameras not to talk about computers and stuff, are getting more and more complex.
It isn.t even easy for them to repair them as it has been 20 or 40 years ago.

So what …… is it about the fear of reading a manual?

Nobody is hurting you!
Life will be much easier if you read them!
And nobody expects that you are inventing the wheel again and again each day.

But as a woman i expect that the stuff in my house is able to work, to functionate, and not laying there in pieces because the man next to me refuses to read a manual ………

so tell me ……

WHY?

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
What a load of sexist stereotyping.

What next?

All women are bad drivers?
All mother-in Law's are ugly?
All blonde women are stupid?

I'm a male, and I read manuals, same as most males.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by NonKonphormist

no offence and no sexism was intended
just an observation here at my place

actually i have never come across a guy who is reading a manual.
usually those around here think it is an insult when i offer to get the manual.

but i am glad that you are different

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
lol i read the manual im a man. Recently i put together a bookshelf from big lots i think your view of men is out dated and old

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by pcrobotwolf

or maybe the men that run around here

old-fashioned?

i don.t want to discuss my view on men ok

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
meh, stereotype away.. I rarely read the manuals..lol

my wife gets on me about it too..

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
i have a lifelong experience of reading manual for female friends who never did and hit me with questions?
96 toyota corolla?
02 smeg fridge?
10 samsung air conditioner?
08 lumix camera?
i know them all...

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I am a man and unfortunately I to am guilty of not reading manuals. I think it is more of a social than genetic problem. We are conditioned from childhood to expect men to be mechanically adept, just like women are expected to be nurturing and good around children. Why do men wear pants and women wear lipstick and dresses?... That's the way our society is structured. If I can figure something out without the manual I feel validated. Reaching for the manual is like a crutch.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I don't have a problem reading manuals unless they are incredibly badly written, badly translated and more or less useless (which quite a few are)

Apart from that I agree

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c3d0f5ff0ee8.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
sidenote: remember to ask mutante when you don.t understand the manual - he apparently knows

yeah maybe it is kind of sociological stuff, i am not sure
all i know is that i am always wondering - i know some are poorly written or even more poorly translated, but most manual come along in several languages, in my case since i am german but understand english, i have 2 possibilities.

the world is changing, women no longer have to care for kids and provide meals
there are men around, who are better cooks than the average woman who is educated to care for the daily meal

i don.t think that i lose my face when i am asking, and yet some men think this will create a problem!

very strange

@davespanner:
that picture rocks

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
These are the kind of Instruction manuals I usually find. entertaining but not that useful

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d16324ab4312.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
ahhhh davespanner
take it away take it away

they are amusing in german as well but not helpful at all.

there must be better manuals outside ;D

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
For me it depends what it is. Anything electrical or computer related I wont read the manual but if i'm trying to assemble a chair, table, etc i'm sitting on the floor with all the parts sprawled out staring at the picture and wondering how the hell this thing goes together

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
In my house it's considered cheating to read the manual.

Except as a last resort and then we feel like a right pair of cissies (one male / one female).

Plus reading the manual usually causes arguments as we each interpret the instructions differently

new topics

top topics

join