It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seconds away from WW3 during the Kosovo conflict.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Not sure how many of you remember the incident when the NATO forces were rushing to secure Pristina airport. When the column of armoured vehicles reached the airport they discovered that a 200 strong contingent of Russian troops had just beat them to it.

I remember seeing this at the time, it was all over the news, NATO and Russian troops in a stand-off.
I didn’t seem that big a deal at the time... just a bit embarrassing for NATO... However, a few days later the Russians agreed to share the airport anyway.

However, what has now come to light is that an American general (Gen Clark) did in fact give the order to attack the Russians...

"The direct command [that] came in from General Wesley Clark was to overpower them. Various words were used that seemed unusual to us. Words such as 'destroy' came down the radio."

Luckily the commander on the ground waited for confirmation before carrying out the orders... After a short time British General Mike Jackson came over the radio and said...

'I'm not going to have my soldiers be responsible for starting World War 3', and told us why don't we sugar off down the road, you know, encircle the airfield instead.

Imagine if the Commander of the column had followed the first orders he received??? WW3??

And who was this young British Commander who refused the order?

James Blunt... the singer

Just goes to show why we do need solders to have a Brain and not act like mindless automatons!!

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
What a strange but fascinating country.

What kind of idiotic General was Wesley Clark?

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
This is an interesting story.

I'm not so sure it would have definitely led to World War III, though. Incidents like this happen all the time between powerful nations without it erupting into a world war. There's a lot of kissing and making up that is done behind the scenes as long as the expected consequences of these incidents (in this case World War III) are not a part of "the plan".

Nevertheless, this is an interesting personal account from the scene. It's good that they were able to negotiate a compromise at the airport rather than create a blood bath. I think sometimes we're too quick to fire a weapon and not quick enough to speak up for what is right. In this instance, though, it's nice to see someone decided to try the latter.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09

Kosovo was always, serbs during the 60s and 80s had to protect there homeland Kosovo from the Albanian immgrants coming cross from Albania.

Ask yourselves this,

the west screams of genocide over the Albanians in Kosovo yet the current population in Kosovo is

95% Albanian
10% Serbs

If you want a map take a look this.

So ask yourselves who should i trust?

and also it wont be long before a new war in the Balkan region happens again, and with the russians coming in to aid the last renaming serbs in Kosovo.

Did i always had a dream of russians tanks and its forces marching down through the whole eupore.
so i guess a WW3 isn't far.
edit on 14-11-2010 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I realised my post was meant to say "What a strange but fascinating story." Instead I said country.

Oh well...

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Fascinating!!
I can't believe the General who gave that order could be so stupid!!

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter

Kosovo was always, serbs during the 60s and 80s had to protect there homeland Kosovo from the Albanian immgrants coming cross from Albania.

Ask yourselves this,

the west screams of genocide over the Albanians in Kosovo yet the current population in Kosovo is

95% Albanian
10% Serbs

and also it wont be long before a new war in the Balkan region happens again, and with the russians coming in to aid the last renaming serbs in Kosovo.

Did i always had a dream of russians tanks and its forces marching down through the whole eupore.

*5% Serbs. But that was in 2005. Now its less than 3%. Ethnic cleansing. *not there, their homeland

Few interesting facts:
Albanians started a war on Kosovo "because they were discriminanted".

If you are Serb born in Albania, do you know what rules apply to you? Serbian language, names and surnames are BANNED there. There are few hundred thousands of Serbs assimilated in Albania, with their origin literally ripped off of them in the last century. I watched a documentary few days ago. THAT is discrimination.
Rights of Albanians on Kosovo, and rights of Serbs in Albania are far from comparable.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by the.lights

Even scarier, people wanted Clark to run for president. We would probably not be typing this right now if he were president.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by 123321

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter

Ask yourselves this,

95% Albanian
10% Serbs

*5% Serbs. But that was in 2005. Now its less than 3%. Ethnic cleansing. *not there, their homeland

Few interesting facts:
Albanians started a war on Kosovo "because they were discriminanted".

If you are Serb born in Albania, do you know what rules apply to you? Serbian language, names and surnames are BANNED there. There are few hundred thousands of Serbs assimilated in Albania, with their origin literally ripped off of them in the last century. I watched a documentary few days ago. THAT is discrimination.
Rights of Albanians on Kosovo, and rights of Serbs in Albania are far from comparable.

Sorry but i see this a bit of a Propaganda.

I will say this once more again, Kosovo is the ancestral home of serbs, this how the same way jewish people feel about there homeland in Israel and thats how serbs see Kosovo, after so many wars in the early century.

I guess you know little about the battle of Kosovo?

I watched a documentary few days ago that is discrimination.
Rights of Albanians on Kosovo

So what your saying you support Albanian ethnic cleansing of the last renaming serbs?

*not there, their homeland

You need to catch up with history on that region and also sir i dare you to say that to Jewish people and say the same thing to them about Israel.

Kosovo was serbian and always be, Albanians just taken Kosovo taken it by force, the same they trying to do in  Macedonia and in the small regions in greece, so i guess you support?

Oh and you want to see this?
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

Sorry but i call Propaganda on your post

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Yep. I remember this.

I think more people should be aware of this.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
The importance of the Balkan wars is always underestimated. Firstly, it was always about dismembering one of the most powerful countries in Europe; a genuine threat to the traditional powers (they could NOT allow a peaceful Yugoslavia to continue to develop). But it was also the conflict that transformed NATO from a defensive organisation into the offensive military arm of Western nations in and around Europe. The actions of NATO since then are wildly different to NATO's activities prior to the Balkan wars.

It is such a significant geopolitical change that nothing short of the threat of a "new Hitler" would suffice to see it through, and it also required a fragmented Russia that could not interfere.

In that context, looking at the Balkan wars reveals a completely different story. The actions of the Russian soldiers was a desperate last-ditch move to protect the Pristina base from complete capture, and also prevent the complete succession of Kosovo. The actions of Clark reveal the kind of madness that was required to drop cluster bombs and DU munitions on civilian targets.

Its a travesty that NATO officials are not being put through the same kangaroo courts.

top topics

join