It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WOW WOW things sure have changed just in my liftime...WHAT do you remember.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
What do I remember? Kids being pretty gullible...
Remember these:
How many of us thought we were actually raising sea monkeys?

"So eager to please" hardy harharr

Classic comicbook adds used to get me so excited, especially the xray glasses!

Someone mentioned skating rinks, yes good times for sure, which reminds of this: Take it back yo...

Oh yea, kids used to get free bubblegum at gas stations too.
Man this thread has made me smile all morning, thanks plube!!

Peace,
spec

edit on 14-11-2010 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tayesin
Ahh, Memories.....

First time I saw a TV was in 1965.. and it was an awesome thing to a 5 year old.

We didn't get colour (english spelling) until 1975! Then I realised that somehow we all knew the colours even when it was grey and grey TV, lol.

When I got my first motorcycle in 1977 I could fill it up for under 40 cents.. and keep filling it up as often as I wanted to... and the bike only cost me $450!!.. quite a few weeks wages to save.

Cigarettes cost under $1 per packet in 1976. A beer was less than $1. Milk was only 30 or 40 cents, and 5 cents bought a sizeable bag of candy.

In the late 1970's it was still safe to hitchike in Australia. If a fight broke out people would pull it apart to stop it... or they would stand in a circle to make sure no one else jumped in to make it unfair.

Kids had respect for their elders and themselves back before the 80's and bleeding hearts got pester power happening.

Last year my teenage daughter asked me, "Dad, can we play one of those big black CD's tonight?" Of course she meant my old Vinyl Albums.

Lastly... Honesty... as a kid and young adult most Australians were Honest, Hard-working and happy people.. today they are brow-beaten, mostly unhappy, and everyone accepts lying as simply part of life these days.

I hate getting older!!

If you have a teenager who thinks a vinyl LP is a "big black CD", you might want to get her checked out. That sounds like something a 4 yr old would say.

That reminds me, I remember when you could call people retarded and it wasn't offensive...

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
In fact i don't think anyone builds metal shapers any more. they may be obsolete. but the tooling is very cheap and that makes then perfect for a home hobby shop.
www.youtube.com...
One thing i can do is cut square holes in metal block and there is no modern machine that can do that.
edit on 14-11-2010 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

Sorry, but....

The F1 constructors buy those things, several each.

The above video is a sales demo, real V8 engines are castings, not made like this :-)

edit on 14-11-2010 by ommadawn because: Additional information / clarity.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by plube

People have tried less clever ways to find out how old I am. Not falling for this one either.

Sodapop was around but it wasn't popular yet. 10 cents could buy you 10 pieces of candy. A child could walk to the store alone. People hitch-hiked. A pack of cigarettes was 50 cents. Our family was among the first to have a television in our area. Neighbors told me they would come over to grandpas and watch his set. We had a big RCA. 3 channels and no remote! Dad went to the butcher as well as the grocery store. When he came home from work and fanned out $400 weeks pay we thought he was the richest man in the world.
Grandfather worked on cars in a pit. I rode in the front seat all the way to Hinkley, on my grandmothers lap with my head hanging out the window. Those were the good old days.
edit on 14-11-2010 by rusethorcain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Brilliant thread, made me smile inside.

I remember knocking on doors and running away without the fear of being shot or arrested.
I remember watching " world of sport" on a saturday on a BW Tv the size of a small car.
I remember believing that wrestling was real.
I remember the smell of Christmas and collecting wood for a bonfire at Guy Fawkes.
I remember "Action Man" and Mecanno sets.
I remember summers when I dissapeared with my mates at 9.00am and returned at 9.00pm because I was hungry.....I was 8.

I remember the local grocery store (CO-Operative) had 2 bike riding delivery boys and their bikes had huge big baskets on the front.
Finally I realy do remember carving my name on the hot pavement during the summer.

Thanks op, appreciated

edit on 14-11-2010 by captiva because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by rusethorcain

Yes riding in the back of pick up trucks...back in 72 all the way from kamloops BC to Anchorage Alaska...i swear that was abuse .....the dust was choking. Oh yes and back again and that was supposed to be a great holiday....go figure.
hmmmmm 50 cents for a pack of cigarettes huh....you are in your 40's lol.... seats belts were not even put into cars...now that was amazing....the thrill of living dangerously.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I remember when cigarettes were fifty cents a pack. Those were the good old days.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
OK, no Monty Python attempt here, just real stuff.

We used to find old chip packets, fill them with fine dirt and throw them at each other.
Usually war games and ambushes. Some parents wouldn't let their kids play with us for some reason.
Cheap fun, and huge 'explosions' possible - plus were were recycling the litter.

When it got darker we would grab an iron bar and chuck it down the road to make sparks.
Only lasted for 30mins or so at sunset, after then you couldn't find the damn bar anymore.

One of the older kids invented a game called 'digging a hole'.
He was at it for almost a week and got down to 6ft or more before someone declared it dangerous
to people walking about at night. It was like 8ft by 4ft by 6ft deep. Quite impressive. Pointless, but impressive.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by captiva
Brilliant thread, made me smile inside.

I remember knocking on doors and running away without the fear of being shot or arrested.

Thanks op, appreciated

edit on 14-11-2010 by captiva because: (no reason given)

Lol, i forgot knock off ginger. We used to put a milk bottle on the handle, Knock and leg it.

Open the door - Smash

Great fun.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by plube

Funny plube. When they were 50 cents a pack I wasn't old enough to smoke them.
Love your thread here. I forgot how old I was. Thanks for the reminder.

CX

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I love this thread.

What can i remember? I remember the first computer coming to our school, the kids that used it got beaten up in the playground....and are probably working for Microsoft now.

LP's...my daughter saw one in a thrift store the other day, picked it up and with an excited voice shouted across the room, "Daddy....I've found a frisbee!!!"

I remember the days when health and safety was unheard of.

I remember when kids could buy knives here and didn't feel the urge to stab someone.

I remember not having to resort to becoming a zombie in front of the TV to be entertained.

I remember when kids just didn't get bored. You went out for the whole day and only came back if you were hungry or injured.

I remember when the teachers would give you a good hiding if you were naughty....therefore i was rarely naughty. What happened to that?

The village bobby, police officer to those not familiar with the term. Always knew you by your first name, knew what you were up to before you did, and had the ability to tell your parents what you'd been up to before you got home!

Music...now i know this will sound like i'm getting old but music was actualy worth listening to. When there was less technology, there was talent. A rareity nowadays.

My childhood days were the 70's/early 80's. Would go back there in a shot if i had the chance.

Thanks for the memories....starred and flagged.

CX.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I watched the Xbox evolve into the Xbox 360.

The amazing feat of the xbox 360 was that it broke every 2 months, you couldnt touch it while games where running, and it would randomly scratch your disks.

The original Xbox would run flawlessly(and mine still is) for years and years. The games would never scratch. You could throw it out the window with a game in it and it would be fine.

Oh my how our technology has evolved over the years.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by bluestar.ranch

I did not live though those times....but I wish I did.

I can barely relate to anyone here where I live, The attitudes are horrible, they treat each other with disrespect, and they think the most important thing is themselves!

I have culture shock in my own country.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by missvicky
I remember when a new box of crayons was a gift from the gods.
when civics was taught in high school.
when cartoons were funny.
when cruising was legal.
when there were "party lines" on the phone and the operator was a person.
when FM radio meant something.
when Capt Kirk was a hero.
when freindship meant something.
when they held "Cold War drills" and you had to WALK as quickly as possible home FROM SCHOOL to the bomb shelter.
when food was food.
vinyl records ( and for those that remeber LP's do you remember LP stood for Long Play vs the 45's they replaced?), 8-track,cassettes, when videos were VCR's, stereo systems (and the sales people KNEW what they were talking about)....oh and I also remember that if you didn't go to the theater to see a movie when it came out you missed it for at least two years before you could see it on cable.
when you could smoke in bars, restaraunts, the bank, on the church steps....
WALKING TO AND FROM SCHOOL
when Americans were actually liked over seas.
when "Rolling Stone" was a folded up newspaper you could get at 7-11 for a quarter.
when L'Eggs nylons were sold in plastic eggs and accounts were serviced by girls with pretty legs in mini skirts.
when going to grandma's and grandpa's meant something.
when we all had the same dream and believed it possible.

Oh yeah you just jarred my memory I do remember having the air raid sirens going off all over the city,and the drills at school as well,I don't think the kids even have fire drills in school anymore.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Just remembered.

Conkering.

Now that was fun. What could be better fun that throwing a stick into a tree then running like hell so it didnt hit you on the way down?

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Going out on 'expedition' would be the thing most days in summer.

One afternoon actually found myself abseiling down the side of a 30ft derelict railway bridge with 25ft of rope.
But I did have a hard hat on. And a knife.

These excursions would last all day and be over 6 miles there and back.
Up and down 300ft hills by the way.

Main objective would be to find some kind of tree or bush and build a den for lunch and lazing in.
My goodness we were easily pleased, because everything was invented by us, on the spot.

Nightime operations cutting down stuff just outside peoples gardens.
They knew we we there, came out the backdoor and shouted that out to us.
But, we deep outside enemy lines, head down.
Hack... hack....hack... (use of a knife again)
They couldn't see us.

And then over the years, all that land was built on.
Pretty much all of it.
Nothing for the kids to explore now even if they wanted to.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I remember -
..hiding under the stairs during air raids
..when the nearest telephone was in a box on the street corner
..having a tomato and a lettuce leaf for a main meal(rationing)
..when coffee (real -no instant) was a once a week treat
..refridgerators and washing machines were rare luxury goods
..milk wasn't in bottles - the farmer poured it into a jug left on the step
..there was no TV - we listened to Radio Luxenburg and played cards
..my dad owned the only car in our neighbourhood - an Austin7
..(we were better off than most - dad earned £20 a week)
..streets had gas lighting
edit on 14-11-2010 by margaretr because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
My mother still uses a Phillips Quadraphonic stereo system, that my folks bought in the early 70's.

True quadraphonic was quite amazing at the time, I believe "Dark Side of The Moon" was originally released in full quadraphonic. There weren't many albums and then the technology died off.

I remember my folks getting the first PHILLIPS portable CD player, circa 1985. My father picked it up on a business trip, this was before SONY bought out the marketing rights to the CD. My mother still uses that too.

At the time, the only compact disk you could buy was Dire Straits' "Money for Nothing" for about six months (I lived in UK).

I also remember using an Apple II computer (Operating System was CPM (pre DOS), we used to use something called dBase, which was a command line database which morphed into Access years later, and SuperCalc, which morphed into Lotus 123, which morphed into Excel years later), both a ZX81 and a Sinclair Spectrum, and when the first Pac Man and Space Invaders console games came out, 20 mb hard drives, EIGHT inch floppy drives (as well as the 5.25 inch ones).

No seatbelt law (in UK this was mid > late 80s). The decimal money system was introduced in the UK in my lifetime.

However, I can also remember when bankers used to come to YOU to negotiate mortgages, and meet you in your work place and do due diligence for at least 60-90 days before approval, when money down was a requirement on a home (as it is again now here in Canada).

Politicians were there because they wanted to make a difference, and actually could, and lawyers were there for serious legal matters only, not because you spilled a hot cup of coffee.

When you wanted to buy something special, you saved up or put it on layaway. Large amounts of consumer debt was a very unusual thing for the average household. People had two cars, a decent home, and were able to afford to go on vacation nearly every year, even if it wasn't somewhere exotic.

The yoke of debt that pretty much every household now HAS to go to even have a chance at this life again.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Yeah, How times change......Music has always been a great factor in my life and still is today. Today I see kids as young as 13 walking around the streets listening to MP3 and ipods and the like. When I think back thirty years to when I was 15 I couldn't afford to even buy my own Sony Walkman, me and my 6 mates used to take it in turns with the headphones to have a listen to the latest cassette by whatever band were big at the time....but I wouldn't swop those times for anything. I am glad I was young when I was rather then now in this horrible society we find ourselves in...............how I miss going to the local record shop and buying the latest LP or single, and actually queueing up for hours to get a copy, and then running home to stick it on the old turntable on the radiogram..............those were the days..

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Technology underground has always far outpaced that on the surface.
It's as if another world was in the making just under one's feet, or in the mountains, worldwide.
One should find that world far more 'interesting'.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join