It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are the gamma ray bubbles expanding?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
The recent posts on the subject of gamma ray bubbles forming on the top and bottom of our galaxy perked the little tinfoil hatter inside of me. So I’m sending out a plea to more experienced tinfoil hatters to see if any of you can help me with a thought that has been going through my mind.
First off do Gamma rays travel at the speed of light? If so are the Gama ray Bubbles expanding?
After doing a little research on gamma rays I noticed that they can be quite nasty to plant life (plankton in particular) and can do damage to DNA. It also can cause damage to our ozone layer according to one article I read.
So my question to everyone is do you think there is a possibility that this bubble is expanding towards our solar system and do you think it could have anything to do with the mien calendar and other predictions of doom and gloom around that time frame.
Since when we’re looking through a telescope at stares we are actually looking at events that have happened thousands of years ago. Is it plausible that some with the ability to manipulate time and space (travel many times faster than the speed of light) could have come to earth thousands of years ago to warn us of something heading are way? You know something like a large gamma ray bubble that is going to fry the earth. And if so do you think this may be why various nations are building underground bunkers and why it seems everyone feels like something is going on?

Well that’s just a thought I was having today so if anyone can help me out with this I’d appreciate it.
I’ll be going back to my happy place now.
www.theepochtimes.com...

edit on 13-11-2010 by murfdog because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-11-2010 by murfdog because: suck at pasting Youtube videos

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by murfdog

something like a large gamma ray bubble that is going to fry the earth

Hmmm.. I gonna belive that its a bubble of infinite love, life and harmony

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
What it is about is the interaction of two colliding galaxies. Our Milky way and the Andromeda galaxy. They have in all probability already collided at least once before eons ago and are now spiralling around for another physical interaction, however the bubbling off of gamma radiation is undoubtedly an aspect of this interaction.

Article

Display show

youtube item

Youtube galaxy collision

My guess is that there is a stream of plasma being drawn off by gravity and interacting with dust atoms in space to create neutrons. The proper term for these gamma rays may be X-rays since they are not being propagated by the fission of heavy atoms, but rather photon collision with energetic electrons.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Yes, gamma rays travel at the speed of light. Yes, the gamma rays will reach Earth. In fact, they have. Otherwise Fermi would not have detected them.

The "Bubbles" are not a ball of gamma rays, they are the source of the gamma rays which Fermi detected. The "light bulbs". We don't know yet whether the light bulbs are getting larger but if they are the intensity of the gamma rays emitted would decrease since the density of the material which is creating them would decrease with the expansion. In any case, the bubbles are "north and south" of the galaxy while we are in the galactic plane.
edit on 11/13/2010 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks for all the reply’s folks. I feel much better now that I know I’m not going to be consumed by an over sizes galactic purple gamma blob.
So I guess I’ll just have to wait for the next Simpsons video to get all freeked out again.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Phage, old buddy, I've got a stupid question for you. Did these things just occur or have they been there for a while or do we have any idea when they occured?

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by HUMBLEONE

I would actually also like to know, I don't understand light speed exactly, more or less, but not exactly. I get a little confused. I know that ie the sun's rays take x min to reach earth because of distance, and that the milky way is huge, so if it takes so many min for the sun's rays to reach us, how do we understand when these bubbles happened taking distance etc into account? The effect of the sun's rays happen as the reach earth, so these bubbles may have happened a mil years ago, but because we see them now we experience them now too? Thereafter the whole idea of light speed goes completely over my head
Just too daunting.

new topics

top topics

join