It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Afraid Of Dying

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Excellent thread. When I really think about it, it frightens me too. To those who say that we are energy and energy never dies, well I don't want to be reduced to 'energy' dissipated to the 4 winds thank you very much. I don't want to be assimilated 'borg like' - I fear the loss of self.
But I guess you can use this feeling to your advantage - like when you are having a bad day at work. All those little aggravations are nothing in the scheme of things.
But I feel better when I look on it like this - every night when we sleep it's like death. The world, for us, ceases to exist. When we wake up we resume life. The difference, in death, is that you simply wouldn't wake up. You wouldn't know about it.
So either we become oblivious or there is a grand adventure awaiting.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Diluted

I had a near death experience at the age of 29. My heart stopped which I did not know. My 5 yr old daughter at that time was standing near the police to my left. I am 47 now and my daughter is 22. She still remembers that day as I do.

I was unconcious and laying on the elementary office floor. They say I did not wake up until just before they got me to the hospital. The weird part is I thought I was awake and sitting up comforting my young daughter. My daughter said that I was sitting up and reaching out to her saying everything would be alright. My husband told me that is impossible you never opened your eyes nor sat up.

I will say this, I remember feeling weightless and my senses seemed stronger. I never felt afraid, I knew I would be ok. My Faith is very strong in the Lord. HE has been with me since I was a little girl. When my parents passed, He gave me strength.

We all Fear the unknown. Without my Faith in Christ. I would be terrified of death. What gives me peace is...Our last breath here, is our first breath there with the father...Blessings

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Do not attach yourself too closely to this life, this world, the people you know, or the things you own.

Most importantly, do not attach too closely to your body.

One day, you will leave it all behind. Not having this consciousness, this earth, these people, these things, this YOU to have as an anchor to orient yourself is a very scary concept.

Of course, if there is nothing after this life, then we certainly have nothing to fear at all. It's like fearing the time before you were born - why would you?

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Diluted

I don’t know why I do not get anxious knowing. I guess I take some solace in the fact that it would be easier to create a fully functional 747 ready for passengers by passing a hurricane over a junk yard for 5 billion years than it would be to create even the simplest form of life.

This leads me to believe that there is a driving force to all life, a single energy of which all living things are a part of. So life, and who I am etc is just an exalted state of this normal state of things. Who I am may cease to be but the force that called me to consciousness is perpetual and never ending. I may indeed live again well not me, but you know.

That and if I am wrong I will not know the difference anyhow! It is human to have some type of faith, and you should seek some of your own! Life is short and thoughts of death should not consume or drive your life. Live while the living good!

Personally I will worry when I am old, or some condition or situation makes death a clear and present danger.

To live or to be too worried to live. That’s the question!

edit on 15-11-2010 by Donkey_Dean because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Either fortunately or unfortunately (depending on how you look at it) we all have to cross that bridge sometime. Its coming.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
The following is from a song by Peter Murphy titled "Shy" Within the song is a section with it's own title called "The Sister of Sleep":

(The Sister of Sleep)
"He was thought of as strange... a good looking man
And shallow eyes like two hidden from view and empty puddles of hue
His views on death spread like two anecdotal tales
Although he, reclining, declining, to disclose in public...
These opinions in public; the tales held the key

Death is the surname of sleep, but the surname unknown to us
Sleep is the daily end of life; a small exercise in death
Which is it's sister, but not every brother and sister are equally close,
Giving to the enemy a small exercise in submission
And holding onto nothing

He was thought of as strange... a good looking man
And shallow eyes like two hidden from view and empty puddles of hue
His views on death..."

I've always thought this was cool. Just thought I'd put it out there.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I take solace in the fact that our oppressors will die too.

Death is the great leveler and there is jack you can do about it.

Make peace with dying now or spend the rest of your life in fear of something you have no control of and STILL dying!
edit on 16-11-2010 by Yissachar1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Wow! Thanks everyone for staying the course, ive got a list of books and names to dive into. apologies for thr text, im on my droid. Thanks all again. Its been a great thread to read.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Diluted
Afraid of Dying

I am 26 years old. My name is Jack. Living on a beautiful island in southwest Florida - finally getting my stuff together, here I am - filled with questions. Questions like most of us at ATS have (birds of a feather..)

Yet the one fear that drives me crazy, that lurks inside - is death. Dying. Whom ever made the last prediction post that was great "You're all going to die!" - made me think even more. I frequent imminst.org... (Immortality Institute) -- and basically, well. I'm afraid to die.

The thought scares me. Being a recovering addict - where I literally "Measured My Life in Milligrams" - it's rather odd I'd have no qualms taking a handful of rainbow colored pills and chasing it with malt liquor yet when a topic about a ghost or something on Coast To Coast comes on... I get scared.

Perhaps it is from my father dying at 46, me being 10 - watching the chemo, and death. Perhaps it is being an only child?

I've gone from church.. to church.. I've been baptized. The best concept I have now for this power that is greater than me I learned through a man called Bill W. who helped create the concept of "Create your own concept of God" - Emmit Fox if you will. "God is Good, God is Love, God is understanding.." - and just think those thoughts in times of anger/frustration/anxiety as that is the "Golden Key" (It has been working.)

Just imagine... laying on your death bed, at age 49 from cancer - and knowing your going to die -

What if... it is the end? That your consciousness, your memories, are gone. In a flash. The big sleep, it's as if you never existed and you can't retain your memories. Thoughts like these sometimes paralyze me to the point of... wow. Crying, and that is why... I always ask Why.

Someone best told me "You keep saying "God, show me the way and I'll go!" But God says, "Go, and I'll show you the way."

I've read so much on ATS from going to the bathing pool in the sky, to hellfire and stone if I don't worship A B OR C. I've read of the energy flowing dust to dust ashes to ashes, our energy goes not or thoughts - cryonics - we live in a simulated reality.. etc, etc.

Yet you - have you sat down and contemplated your own mortality?

If so -

How do you not get anxious over the idea of knowing - You're going to die.

My bestfriend is going through the same thing as you, shes had to go to psychologists because she has this insane fear of dying.

If it makes you feel better, shes almost come out of it. So there is hope

Also, my own belief is that we come here to learn whatever lessons we need to learn. Then we die but we come back yet again to learn more or re learn previous failed lessons. This is to develop spiritualy mentally and physically so we can reach ascention and to face many different situations.

In my opinion, people fear death because of a lack of spirituality, not always of course but it could be a reason because when people wake up one day and realise that one day they are going to die. They just think with science so they think there is no return, but i really believe there is. Science is good ofcourse, the day we mix science and spirituality we will have the answers to the world.

The amount of religions that explain similar concepts of reincarnation is a bit of a pointer.
Yet it dosent matter what religion you belong to of course. And it dosent matter even if you dont belong to one. You can be open to the world without religion, religions just give paticular ways to become more open.

But back onto topic, i think it is very good your seeing this guy
so just listen to what he has to say, it wont happen overnight but it will happen eventually.
Im sorry about your father, im sure hes still looking after you

Wish you luck

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Diluted

I too, am also afraid of death. But not as afraid as I was before, but still afraid. Just like you, every time I see some prediction about the world ending, no matter how credible the source is I still get the anxiety. But like what the other people are saying, what happens, happens. You can't stop death.

I like to think sometimes when I'm scared that, no one days. But, life continues, somewhere else. I used to wish that I'd become immortal or something like that

Just live your life, but not in fear. Since thoughts manifest, if you think about fear, you'll live in fear.

Also, if Reincarnation is real, then you've already been through death! Nothing to be afraid of.
edit on 11-12-2010 by iAnjo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I don't fear death at all. In fact, im looking forward to it. I know that sounds depressing, but i don't mean it in a depressing. I am just looking forward to see if there is anything on the other side. If there is not, then i won't know any different. And if there is, then thats great

There is really no point in worrying about it. Its something we all have to go through, and there is nothing we can do about it. I guess the only thing that concerns me is how i am going to die.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Diluted

You say you got to church, but if you don't believe what they say, you can always rely on this sort of vague understanding of what YOU are.

You're not much more than compilation of cells contained within a cell of skin, and when one of your cells combines with a particular other cell who's to say who is whom.
Are you afraid of losing a little bit of blood, is that blood not you, does it not die. DNA is a safe assumption of a fair enough after life. Don't worry if you don't have any kids it's ok there are plenty other people your consciousness or DNA is inside of.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Diluted

Try to leave footsteps for someone else to find when they are in need of a path.

Try to let yourself 'live on' through others by being a benefit to others and not a hinderence....you will be remembered and others will learn from your ways, in strength, confidence, self worth.

The ego self longs for the things that 'made the individual'....the Spirit in you longs for harmony in life. Be that harmony....know then you did what you came here to do.

We are a part of eachother...of the world itself. We react and respond to everything around us. Be the comforter to others, be their rock, give hope where it cant be found. Then the individual memories of what you 'think you are'....are not as important anymore for there is a much bigger picture going on.

What I have found amazing is that in many near death experiences people experience a blissful state of being with unconditional love...and they still 'choose to come back'. Life as a whole, is what is eternal. It goes on...in some way. The best thing we can do....is leave footprints of a good humble path for others to find.

I dont think the life of flesh is what we really are, in true self. A temporary experience to renew things in Spirit....our true self.

Try to accept the things you can not change, and try to find the strength to change the things you can.

Just thoughts
LV
edit on 11-12-2010 by LeoVirgo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Jay-morris

I totally agree with that. The state of being before birth wasn't too bad, so i am not worried.
I can't wait to cross over, and that doesnt mean i am suicidial, although a lot of people might think that.
I do hope that my death won't be painfull. But if it is, even that will pass.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
"We all Fear the unknown. Without my Faith in Christ. I would be terrified of death. What gives me peace is...Our last breath here, is our first breath there with the father...Blessings"

I just wanted to say that this was beautifully written. Thank you.

I thought about death a lot when I was younger. But not so much now.

I began to realize that no matter what, it is going to happen.

So I went and did a ton of research on near death experiences, religions, and all of the other various thoughts on it. I personally came to the following conclusions.

The law of conservation of mass states that mass can not be created or destroyed - so, to me, this means our Soul/life force lives on even after we die.

So if part of lives on, who taught us about what to expect when we die the best? It's a very personal, subjective answer.

Now, there's reincarnation, Heaven, hell, etc., etc. - but who made the most sense to me after looking in to all of them was Jesus.

When I read Mathew, Mark, Luke, and John - Jesus's words somehow speak to me.

Yes, I fully aware that there is a lot views that hold that Jesus doesn't exist, or that most of His words were written by monks when they translated them, etc., etc. But what Jesus taught about the afterlife lined up with me personally. It just felt right.

So, I accepted Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Savior and have been at peace about it sense. It's what worked for me. Will it help you, I don't have a clue. But it might be worth a shot.

Worse case scenario is that I live a good life and there's nothing in the after life or I get reincarnated - but you know what? I still lived a decent life. Not so bad. Best case scenario is that I live eternity with my family and friends with Jesus in Heaven - and I still lived an ok life here on earth. Not so bad either.

Remember - a coward dies a thousand deaths, but the brave die once.

So do some more research, come to your own conclusions, and then don't focus on it, let it go. Enjoy the moment. Enjoy life.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Once I let go of the idea of heaven and hell the thought of death no longer concerned me. We are born and we die, there is no great mystery in regards to it. Once you understand the simpleness of it the fear factor becomes irrelevant.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Well I'm back on this thread since recently, actually today, I have overcome my fear of death. It's like sleep, if there is truly nothing waiting in death. It's like sleeping and being born again into a new life if it's reincarnation. And heaven and hell, I hope I go to heaven

Death is nothing to be afraid of, imo.

What can you do? You can't dodge death. When it happens, it happens.
edit on 12-12-2010 by iAnjo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Diluted
Just imagine... laying on your death bed, at age 49 from cancer - and knowing your going to die -

I've been laying in thick bushland with heatstroke, throwing up and 3 hours from anywhere before. I actually was convinced I was going to die. If I had of panicked, I would have. Instead, I accepted it and because of that I was able to be calm which led to me surviving.

Don't fear death. Just enjoy life while you have it.

If you fear death, and you are going to die in 70 years time, that means you are going to be scared for 70 years.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Whenever I get the fear again or it strikes me... I read this thread.

It helps. Thanks all.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
The only difference between death and sleep is knowing that you are going to wake up in the morning.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join