It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Afraid Of Dying

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I'm also afraid.

Fact: We're going to die.

It's just a matter of time. It's why I try to slow the days down.

It makes me wonder why we try so hard to succeed.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Diluted

We all die. There is nothing "on the other side". Some people can't face up to this and comfort themselves with an afterlife (and associated religious belief). Some people can't face that they will never see their loved ones again and thus believe in spirits. mystics etc.

This life is what you have , 100% certainty, so treat it with respect, stop wasting time worrying and enjoy the rest of your life.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I've put myself in so many dangerous situations of the years and almost died countless times because of it. I'm at the point that I really don't care. Why fear something that's natural? Everybody goes some time, after all.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Phenomium

Accept Jesus as your personal saviour and you will be alright no matter what. He's never steered me wrong. I used to do drugs and alcohol and almost killed myself numerous times doing both. Now because of Jesus, I do neither. i have started smoking again, not too much, but I know in time he will take care of that as well. Just don't be a Catholic...

Well, I guess we know why you think you don't fear death...Jesus. Hmmm.

So, the solution is, "accept Jesus as your personal saviour", etc. Then death is not too scary? But if you were a Catholic, then time to be afraid again. Hmmm.

You do realize that this was posted in the philosophical forum, not a religious one?

How can your approach help anyone? Everyone fears death, even if it is not our own death, but the only thing "faith" does in this equation is take the unknown, and replace it with what you believe.

Let's see now. On one hand, we have the truly unknown, that which happens after death. No one really "knows" (else, what good would faith be?). On the other hand, some people have acquired a "belief".

Logically, each of these positions has a certain "strength", but when you put the truly unknown, next to a MERE belief, then it really looks like there is no contest.

In fact, this is quite likely what happens in everyone, at some level within, whether they can admit it or not. It's why many ex-christians look back on their former life, and wonder what lack of confidence literally pushes them, to get "saved", over and over again. Altar calls, back-sliding, and when the see-saw goes back, their saved again. Hallelujah! (Uh-oh...that sounds a lot like Catholics with their confessions...Hmmm.)

NOW, let's "translate" your advice to the OP, so we can better see it's constructive value. Doesn't it go something like this: "Be afraid! Be VERY afraid!! If you do not accept Jesus, you will burn forever!! You need not fear death, UNLESS you fail to convert!"

Well, that's my translation, I hope it's didn't sound unnecessarily "harsh"...or was that actually the point?

JR

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Death is the road to AWE

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

This was one of the strangest, most thought provoking movies I've ever seen. Thanks for reviving this line. I've heard this concept before. I think its tibetan in origin. It pretty much sums up my concept of the afterlife.

Why would Deity wish eternal damnation on a creature that has 70+ years to "get it right"...if its lucky!

More Bravo Sierra from our "friends", the "Church".

I can honestly say that I've never read where Jesus said "Dig me or burn!".

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
There are many life extending technologies in the present and in the making of which will increasingly come about in the public knowledgebase.

The human body is just matter though the spirit/soul is another matter.
I expect to retain my identity for thousands of years regardless of what container I may reside in though of course, I could be wrong.

If we relate to one another as a soul unto a soul we are more likely to get to the 'heart' Of the matter.
The heart has neural tissues of which communicate with the brain.....for a reason.

Long topic though I have alot of faith in the near future, it's the death and destruction in between that has the folks so 'on edge'.

The awareness/disclosure process is in motion and cannot be reversed.
One can be a part of the river of life or fight against it and remain a fish outAwata.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by malcr
We all die. There is nothing "on the other side". Some people can't face up to this and comfort themselves with an afterlife (and associated religious belief). Some people can't face that they will never see their loved ones again and thus believe in spirits. mystics etc.

This life is what you have , 100% certainty, so treat it with respect, stop wasting time worrying and enjoy the rest of your life.

Agreed with the last sentence.

But I take exception with the first part of the reply. It is offered as Truth.. and from my life-long experiences it comes nowhere near the truth.

Perhaps some people simply comfort themselves with these thoughts and Beliefs... but some of us are very much aware of what exists and how things work, even if the writer does not.

And those of us who do, only know through our own personal direct experiences of things this writer claims do not exist and is therefore a crutch.

In which case, please do not listen to those who say such things. Instead listen to those who offer fact from their experience as professionals in the field... i.e...Me and one or two others here at ATS

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Diluted
Afraid of Dying

Questions like most of us at ATS have (birds of a feather..)

Most of the ppl on this site are not birds of a feather.

We do agree on a VERY few things, mostly that we have been lied to
a great many times, by a great many ppl, about a great many things.

Beyond that it is often a free for all around here of vitriolic spewage.

Yet the one fear that drives me crazy, that lurks inside - is death.

Fear is a natural reaction, wallowing in it is not.

You can live what life you have left or spend time miserable
thinking about an ending that is coming for us all.

Perhaps it is from my father dying at 46, me being 10 - watching the chemo, and death. Perhaps it is being an only child?

I've gone from church.. to church.. I've been baptized.

Religion is a sad joke played on the ppl of this planet.

Watch Zeitgeist, and watch George Carlin's bit on religion.

Zeitgeist:

Carlin on Religion:

Religion is just another lie in a long list of lies about so
many things that is it retarded.

The Council of Nicea proves they had to meet to all get their stories straight
so the Holy Roman Empire wouldn't look like scatter brained idiots.

Everyone on this site and every other site are all biased, even me.

Dig deep, read alot, and keep counting the lies you find.

After awhile you start to realize there are so many damn lies
you start to wonder who is telling the truth.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best, and enjoy life and you
can wallow in the misery of death when its a sure thing.

In the mean time, death can wait.

Good Luck to all the good ppl !!!

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

I would agree with most of the content of zeitgeist with the exception that it does not acknowledge the spirit/soul.
One does not need a reli/gion (rely on the Regent of another) as an 'intermediary' to a/thE Creator.
This was a basic 'tennant' of freemasonry until the international bankster folks assumed 'control' over the 'foundation'.

It's not my intention or desire to tangent this thread, just wanted to make that point.
edit on 14-11-2010 by Perseus Apex because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I do not think you are afraid of dying really. I think you are just afraid.

Work on fear. Fear sucks. I have no time for fear. Fear is stupid. Fear is for idiots....

Stay away from Christianity for a while. Why? Because they are hypocritical. They teach that God loves us UNCONDITIONALLY and then go right on to tell you that you must first accept Jesus or give your life to Jesus or etc..... They tell you all the things you have to do. You see, these are CONDITIONS. God does love us unconditionally. This means you need do nothing to receive the love. I guarantee you that Jesus does not want us to be dependent upon Him for salvation. He expects only that each us will be the best that we can be. Nothing more. For this no religion is necessary. So, if religion has be confusing you then leave it for a while and simplify your relationship with God. Stay away from all scripture and learn to be self-reliant. Do this for six months and you will be fearless..... stay away from preachers who know not what they do to people. Be free and fearless. When you achieve fearless then go back to religion if you like but do not allow yourself to become dependent on it.
edit on 14-11-2010 by trailertrash because: typo

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Greetings,

i hear you....my invitation to you would be to find a small group of people who practice Rinzai Zen meditation...in rinzai zen meditation and mindful practice you will understand why you have the fear of death and you will understand how to live your life without that fear of death disturbing your life activities and thinking...

all the best

bodhi svaha...

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I'm going to be saying some of the same things I've said in other post, so if you follow me, bare with me.
I'm not afraid of death, I am afraid of judgement. Having said that you and I have something in common. My father died when I was 11, I'm now 54.
I have lived a hard life. I'm tired and I'm weary. Yes, I have had blessings, but they have been the exception, not the rule. I almost just deleted this last line because I fear God and His judgement, but He knows what I feel and think anyway. Say what you want, this is my reality....you have yours. I feel guilty when I talk like this because I basically have my health, food, shelter, etc, and there are so many in the world that do not have those basics. However, I have been tormented mentally\emotionally all my life.
Anyway, I'm hoping that someway, somehow God will let me make things right with Him before He takes me and I hope He takes me soon.
Seeashrink

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I see throughout my every day life the struggle and the deep and profound suffering that everyone is going through.

People are so lost, confused - feeling as though they were just placed here in randomness with no reasoning.

But there is a reasoning, those precious and most theistic moments of pure joy and love. These are the points of life. To learn to love, and to shape your very being.

Do not fear, everything is alright. Nothing is truly lost, and there is no end - you can believe however you please. ity.. The forgetting was chosen by each of us so that this would be so very realistic. This is permeable, just live in the now. Quiet your mind for just a few moments and see what is left. There is something there, an observer - something that is not distorted but is simply I am .

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
A coward dies a thousand deaths...............a brave man only once.

Stop thinking about it. Maybe thats easier said than done, but there is a technique that might help. Just bring your thoughts closer to the moment you are in. (Focus your attention on your Now, and stop projecting too far into the future.)

In a sense, you are dead when you have your energy invested into the future or the past. Thinking about your life, and living it are not the same thing.

All the times you have allowed yourself to feel fear and toy with the thoughts of your death and what may happen, you have suffered every bit as much psychologically as you will when you actually do die. Maybe even more so, as when you do die, you may actually be caught up in the experience and not suffering mentally from the fear of it. Only you keep doing it over and over again, like a sado/masochist. Torturing yourself over and over again by dying in your thoughts. Why would you want to live like that? Dying over and over in your own mind?

You dont need to know what happens next. If you did, you would have gotten a pamphlet explaining it to you. All you need to know is that whatsoever you happen to be doing, do it well. Doing it well requires you bring your full attention to the task. If what you are doing is living, today, live with your full attention on this moment. If you happen to be dying, then die with your full awareness and attention on that moment. If there is an afterlife, you dont want to miss the signs telling you how to get there, and if there is not, it will be your last moment of life.

Live it fully.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Why be afraid of dying? Only thing in life you can do pretty much NOTHING about.

Don't fear it. Live your life to what you consider to be it's fullest, and you will have fulfilled yourself, whatever time death may come.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
mostly I fear what is going on a hour before and leading up to death...I am not even sure if I want it to be fast and painless, or slow so I can say my goodbyes...both seem like a crap option.

Death...hmm...well, no matter what, my body won't care much...I tend to keep a bit of a open mind that consciousness dwells on afterwards...who knows, perhaps even some chosen reincarnation..donno, alot to dream about and does no harm in keeping the hope.

What concerns me is the wake I make behind me..will my loved ones be alright with my passing, will I take care of everything so that my passing is taken in stride? etc...these things I can actually control to an extent...live every day like its your last also means making way for survivors to have a painless transition.

I asked my mother a few days ago if she wrote letters from the grave...what I meant by that is...if she was to die tomorrow, or next year, what would she have said to her grandson or granddaughter when they graduated high school, or college, or getting married...
when her daughter, or even myself turn a certain age, or do something else profound...why not write it knowing that you may not be around to see these moments...simply alter it as the years go on if need be...and if you die, well, that means the people you wrote to get letters now and then from someone they loved.

Why don't you do that...write down your thoughts about a situation from the grave...mark it approprately, and store it in a place that will be found easy enough with instructions as to when to give the letters about.

I bet it would make you less fearful about what comes after if you know for certain a part of you will continue to exist well after you die.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeashrink
I'm going to be saying some of the same things I've said in other post, so if you follow me, bare with me.
I'm not afraid of death, I am afraid of judgement. Having said that you and I have something in common. My father died when I was 11, I'm now 54.
I have lived a hard life. I'm tired and I'm weary. Yes, I have had blessings, but they have been the exception, not the rule. I almost just deleted this last line because I fear God and His judgement, but He knows what I feel and think anyway. Say what you want, this is my reality....you have yours. I feel guilty when I talk like this because I basically have my health, food, shelter, etc, and there are so many in the world that do not have those basics. However, I have been tormented mentally\emotionally all my life.
Anyway, I'm hoping that someway, somehow God will let me make things right with Him before He takes me and I hope He takes me soon.
Seeashrink

You mention that you have been "tormented mentally/emotionally" all your life. By whom?

No, I don't want to know personal info, but your other comments about God have me picturing you with hunched shoulders, and sagging head. This is your reality?

Maybe I'm alone on this one, but seems to me that some of the torment you are experiencing might be due to your belief in a "god" that clearly you fear so much, it's making you miserable.

Many of us were raised with traditional religious ideas of course, but not everyone remains stuck in that paradigm.

Didn't St. Paul say that when he was a man, he had to put aside the things of children?

I'm not saying this to "preach" at you, sorry, hope it doesn't sound that way. But I remember having similar feelings myself many years ago, before I began my inquiries into religion.

No one can tell you not to believe something, but one thing that anyone should be able to do, is to look at whatever they believe, and honestly ask themselves, "how healthy is what I believe?" I would submit that this small change in perspective can often have great power to make positive changes in a person's life.

It's not unlike the person drinking too much, who stops and admits that the behavior is destructive. The answer is to stop whatever is destructive. Of course, as "simple" as it is, it's not so easy. Same with beliefs.

Probably none of this is news, especially to someone who has "seen a shrink". But I wish you luck!

JR

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Diluted

I don't know if anyone posted this already but please read this thread and maybe it will help you get over your fear. www.abovetopsecret.com...

Me I sometimes get afraid too, it comes and goes.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
As a child, I was petrified of dying. I don't know why.
I asked myself a billion times now...How is it fair that I live life and learn all this cool stuff, feel all this stuff and at the end, it dissipates into nothing? Why exist, if I'm just going to die?

As I got older, I learned to put that at the back of my head and became an indestructible teenager. haha.
Got into Law Enforcement, had a family and all of a sudden, those questions came back. I'm even a bit of a hypochondriac. My Dr. no longer takes me seriously. haha. But knowing that I've contributed to what is left, what my children will contribute, and the legacy I leave gives some comfort.

I was raised catholic, but don't believe much of any religions' words as they are now...based on history of man. (another story). I've read the bible and created my own beliefs. . . What are they? I don't really know.

Why learn and live so much if there isn't anything after? That is my question.

Thanks for the gift, but what is the point, if there is truly nothing after? In terms of my "soul" or "energy".

Simply saying there is something, doesn't hold weight, when everything you are taught in life is "tangible".

I've watched family members die. Mom, niece, grandparents. I've been at the scene of the end of countless strangers' lives, through my jobs. A lot of times, an eerie peace comes over people. Some say it is the "light", others say it is endorphins being mass released, moments before death.

Basically, I'm also scared...but it is inescapable. I just hope there is a bit of dignity at the end, so that whatever legacy I leave, is positive.

Hoping there is something gives me the drive to live a better, positive life. That is me. It helps me get through the day to day living, which is far better than worrying about the future all the time.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join