It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Afraid Of Dying

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by NonKonphormist

That's it... the way you said - explained perfectly the whole idea of what death more than likely without any religion or belief in a soul.

But that is what scares me.

Oh well. You said it well there... but life is just too great to want to leave. I'd love to go into cryonics if I died...

It just seems - if this is all we've got - let's live as long as we can, healthy as we can - yet while changing the world and fighting conspiracies
I hope this makes sense. While I smoke, heh. Day by Day... live it up.. One Day At A Time...

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
It's something that you can't control.so don't worry about it.Live your life in its full potential and when the time comes you won't care that much.

And i the words of James Dean:
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phantom traveller
It's something that you can't control.so don't worry about it.Live your life in its full potential and when the time comes you won't care that much.

And i the words of James Dean:
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.

A great quote but not sure it'll calm the OP seeing as what happened to James Dean

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Diluted

Jack,

Having a strong belief in reincarnation (and several accounts of verification), I have no fear of Death.

Do I want to die soon? No. I gotta kid, wife, and other youngin's to consider.

I will admit that I do not wish to have a painful death unless its in the course of something glorious. If that is the case, I dont mind. I'll bear it with the courage and honor of my Ancestors.

short of a brief time away, the worst part would be the pain of those living.

Your 26 and a recovering addict. You've had the courage to kick whatever you were on! Take heart in that!

Your next step is finding "who you are". Have no fear! Attack each day as though you had the teeth of a great wolf!

If it gets too much, drop me a line.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 14/11/10 by felonius because: fouled up link

edit on 14/11/10 by felonius because: add
extra DIV

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Diluted

Everyone is scared of death whether you think it or not. It seems as though we aren't afraid of the process of death but what comes along with it. You will be traveling through the unknown and you will be leaving behind your family and friends. What is there not to be scared of?

Even though it is a scary experience you have to understand one thing. Will you ruin the life and the experiences you have now because you are afraid of the inevitable? Fear is a powerful tool for motivation.

Live life like it was your last minute and don't leave behind any regrets.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I have had the same thoughts, and I have not yet found THE answer...I don´t think that, many living people know THE answer.

I am not afraid to die, life is much more scary!

My conclusion is:

-I just want my death to come fast and painless...how and when is out of my hands.

-I don´t know what will happen after I am dead, but I hope that I have made a positive change in my loved ones...I try to be here while I can.

Dificult topic!

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Diluted

I can understand your fear of dying.

I do not fear death; I know that deep down inside I am immortal - that is our nature. From my perspective life is a long dream where you learn about yourself. Everything in life - every action, every emotion, every word said to you, everyone you meet, every thought, everything that is done to you, etc...- is simply a learning experience where you are learning about yourself. Death is an awakening from a deep slumber, "Oh! This is where I am from, this is the true reality, this is reality - how could I ever forget?"

If it would comfort you more, I would suggest maybe meditation. It is in meditation that you realize the actual I AM part of yourself, the part of yourself that is your very nature - to exist. Also, if you are on a search, I would also suggest watching Near-Death experiences they are quite interesting.

e.g.

edit on 14-11-2010 by 11118 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
My father died when he was 42. I was 13. So I can understand where you are coming from in that regard.

I am a Christian. I do not like when people say, "What religion are you?". Man made religion and a lot of ridiculous rules and regulations to go with it.

God is God. If you want to know what God believes is important, all you have to do is go to the Bible. That is the guide book to life that He gave us.

You don't need to listen to someone else's interpretation of it. Read it for yourself.

There are some areas in the Bible that may seem confusing or hard to understand but the important basic elements are quite simple.

If you accept Jesus Christ as your personal savior, from that moment on you have nothing to fear. Jesus conquered death for all who believe in His sacrifice for us. He paid the price for all of our sins.

Yes, every one at some point dies, unless the Rapture occurs while they are alive.

Personally, I think we are very close to that event. But even if I die before the Rapture I know that life does not end on this Earth.

There IS a hereafter.
edit on 14-11-2010 by Common Scarecrow because: Spelling

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by human32826

You stay in your hole I will take the pill box because while you cower I will get the job done. We have no time to contenplate what or why there is work to do. I will do it for you while you wonder if I will make it back.

Would you rather die trying or hiding? When I get back,...have a whiskey waiting for me ,....I may have to wash the blood out of my mouth.

Star there human, like your attitude.

A bit of "poetry" between your lines, IMO. Have you tried writing? Didn't see anything here on ATS by you (yet), but maybe give it a thought if you haven't already. There's a lot of people (lots on ATS for sure), that seem to be rather self-absorbed, afraid of their shadows, and, like you point out, probably not terribly useful as a result. These folks can use a different tune I think.

Great message.

JR

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
To Op - forgive me if this has been said before

Whenever I fear dying, I remember the movie shawshank redemption where Morgan Freeman says
"Get busy living or get busy dying".

If you take alot of time worrying about dying you will not be truly living.

What helped me was to envision the place where you will go and who you will see. What do you believe? Find comfort in this, as to what your next life may bring. I believe I will go to tir na nog where I'll see those who gone before me. They are waiting for me to rejoin them.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
hay brouther, i to am a recuvering addict (that cant spell) well dieing is the one thing eavry person thats eaver lived has in commen. littaraly trillions have done it. if eavryboddys doin it then how bad can it really be?

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I handle it in a narcissistic manner. I'm not going to die. Delusional? Perhaps, but am I incorrect? Probably not.

Sure, the body transitions from one form to another. But does this mean you die? Only if you believe that you are the sum of your physical body. That you are, all that you are in form, and presence. Ignoring that you are more than the seen, you are the unseen.

The body is just a reflected manifestation of who you really are. Just as thoughts fade through time, so does the reflection of who we believe we are.

Death is nothing more than ripples through the water, erasing what was so that it may calm into what it is.

Learn to accept that you are more than your body, more than that which may be seen. Accept the passage of the body and hold on to who you truly are and immortality will follow. Otherwise the ripples will smooth over what you thought you were, leaving you empty and formless waiting to grow again.

Enoy!

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
this is how i see it when you die if anything happens or theres an afterlife or anything youll find out when you get there. now if there isnt and your just dead then well you wont have to be afraid because you wont even know your dead. in my opinion your only gonna die once so try not to let the experience be too bad and just go with it cuz you cant stop it anyway when its that time. if thinking about it is what scares you dont think about it as little as possible or youll be buggin out

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by subliminalsubconcious

I think it's possible to stop death. Even a point blank gunshot to the head. Quantum mechanics and Zeno anyone? But I don't think anyone knows how to yet.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Someone else already said it, but I agree that I'm more afraid of the death of others, than my own.

I've had a child die. Her brothers and sisters live...perhaps I should be grateful.

After having gone through both my parent's deaths, the death of my friends, the pain I felt for my child isn't anything I ever want to come close to repeating, and I sometimes think that I wouldn't wish anything like that on the worst person on earth. So, there is a fear, since I never want to revisit that hell again, I would honestly rather die, facing the unknown, because I know what the death of a child is like.

Of course, a million times every day such sorrow and pain stabs into someone, somewhere, leaving loved ones behind in grief. If there is not genuine real anger at "god", or the "universe" or whatever, than we would be less than human. That seems to be our experience, whether we acknowledge it or not.

If it all had "meaning", perhaps we would deal with it better. But the meaning is mostly what we give it, in spite of the myriad religions / beliefs that offer their answers.

The meaning I ultimately gave to my daughter's death went in two directions. Within, I began down the long road of trying to look at the world the way it is, not just as I was taught. This resulted in my rejection of religion.

Next, a "righteous" anger was kindled inside me that still burns, even though it has been 16 years. Yes, I can be angry at "god", the universe, whatever, but how constructive is that? Instead, today I turn my anger to the psychopaths who were responsible for her death, the elite who arrogated unto themselves the right to condemn her. They have earned yet another enemy, and at this point, we are legion.

SO, maybe the answer to the age-old "fear of death" problem has something to do with fearing something even greater than death. No doubt it is the reason the ancients felt the need to create their "hell" mythology. It was a terrible thing to saddle humanity with of course, but it made people more manageable, and some, if I can believe the history of old saints, actually didn't fear death anymore, they were too busy fearing their god, who might throw them into hell! They say that fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. Perhaps it is, although not in the sense the religionist might imagine.

JR

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Are you sure you are scared of dying, or the way that you are gonna die?

You never asked to be born into this world, you were made by parents who believed like all other parents that it is a great thing to bring a child into this world. I personally believe with todays climate the way that it is, that people should really think hard before they choose to rear young and bring them up into the planet F**K UP, (I think the term Planet F**k UP , is a better term than Earth).

From a personal point of view I find that the world is not as fun as it used to be, but people continue to consumate their togetherness by thinking that a child will make them happy and make their life complete. But by doing this they do not think about the childs future and how they are going to manage their lives as the Earth becomes even more miserable in future generations. None of us asked to be brought into this world, but we just find ourselves here and are supposed to survive as best as we can. I find the world a tiresome place, commercial saturation, advertising you cannot get away from, everywhere you go you are brainwashed and infiltrated by loads of garbage you don't even wanna read about. I find the world tiresome and the beauty of everyday living has become saturated with billboards of crap that are never ending. The world has become more of a dog eat dog planet, it's every man for himself and f**k the rest.

So as for the thought of death, I do not fear it. I think that by the time I am placed in the coffin, I will be quite happy to be asleep and away from the tiresome human race of saturation of the miind and soul. I am only 45 now, I left school at 15 and have worked non-stop for the last 30 years in order to keep my head above water, and just about do it enough to pay the bills, car, shopping, rent, tax....blah, blah. blah, the list goes on. I don't believe that life should be this way, something went wrong somewhere in the whole picture of things.

So when death does actually arrive, I will not mind, it will be nice to get some peace and quiet. As for an after life, no thank you, I have had enough in this one. Somebody can have my ticket, but please don't advertise it on every billboard I see, please spare me just this once.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
"Eckart saw Hell, too. You know what he said? The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn 'em all away. But they're not punishing you, he said. They're freeing your soul. So the way he sees it, if you're frightened of dying and holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace then the devils are really angels freeing you from the earth. It's just a matter of how you look at it, that's all. So don't worry, okay? Relax."
- Danny Aiello, "Jacob's Ladder"

edit on 11/14/2010 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

edit on 11/14/2010 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
You should be afraid, only delusional folks or those don't cherish life aren't. Theres overwhelming evidence that all major religions, which all claim they are the only true one, are just fictional and man created based on previous... fictional man created myths and religions. That means chances are pretty damn slim youre going to fly off to some magical land with hot angels playing harps when you die. Most likely youll just cease to exist, no conciousness, no dreaming, no waking up, you wont even be aware that you're in an eternal blackness you just won't be anything. Its so horrifying that its no wonder folks had to create religion to fight the fear.

The best you can do is don't think about itand just hope there is something after death or.. completely delude yourself like the rest of religious folks out of fear and pretend you "know" theres some heaven or hell afterlife cause a book any educated man could write claims there is, I guess, whatever works /shrugs
edit on 14-11-2010 by darkest4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Diluted

I used to have a very selfish fear of death, being upset a lot about not knowing what happens and the cruelty of this life. After I met my fiancee, I worry more about those around me and the bitter pain they would feel if I get sick, hit by a car e.c.t.

I still don't like the idea of falling away from reality as I know it, time flying by without me and the thought of my dust being atomized and blown up in millions of future supernova throughout deep space...that is quite a scary and depressing thought...but hey...I don't think I will be there. I have to look at it this way...it didn't hurt before you were born neither was it sad, the universe got along fine and so did "you"...in fact, things got a long so fine without you that there was enough time for you to exist...so who knows what could happen.

In my honest opinion, we are probably a bit like caterpillars...
edit on 14-11-2010 by SmokeandShadow because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Don't believe that guy. You can't create your own GOD annymore than you created yourself. Accept Jesus as your personal saviour and you will be alright no matter what. He's never steered me wrong. I used to do drugs and alcohol and almost killed myself numerous times doing both. Now because of Jesus, I do neither. i have started smoking again, not too much, but I know in time he will take care of that as well. Just don't be a Catholic, that is what the bible is referring to as "the big lie that swallows the world". We are all afraid of death, its a game that everyone will play. You either win it or lose it.......but with Jesus Christ......he has already won it for you.When I speak of a Christian, I am not talking about the one mixed in with all other religeons.....babtist, methodist, quaker, catholic, lutheran etc. Those are divisions of churches (which te bible explicitly denounces) bickering about who serves GOD the best....asking for money, rapnig children, controlling peoples lives politically and in some cases...(catholic) owns a very large portion of the worlds money...while people all around the church starves. Besides, if the bible says "it is more difficult for a rich man to get into heaven as it is to get a camel throught the eye of a needle" then why would one go to a church that is decorated in gold and as lavish as the catholic churches? Who also, worships Mary above Jesus, when she was merely the vessel and He the son of GOD. Seems like misdirection to me. Showing veneration to upside down crosses saying that it is in reverence of st. Peter,...but who can tell, as the Satanic Church uses the same concept for an evil reason? It just seems like a real church of christ would separate itself from all appearances of evil, even if it is by accident. Like I sid who knows? So, just get in touch with Jesus and you will be afraid no more....or at least less than those who don't know him.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join