It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Afraid Of Dying

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Afraid of Dying

I am 26 years old. My name is Jack. Living on a beautiful island in southwest Florida - finally getting my stuff together, here I am - filled with questions. Questions like most of us at ATS have (birds of a feather..)

Yet the one fear that drives me crazy, that lurks inside - is death. Dying. Whom ever made the last prediction post that was great "You're all going to die!" - made me think even more. I frequent imminst.org... (Immortality Institute) -- and basically, well. I'm afraid to die.

The thought scares me. Being a recovering addict - where I literally "Measured My Life in Milligrams" - it's rather odd I'd have no qualms taking a handful of rainbow colored pills and chasing it with malt liquor yet when a topic about a ghost or something on Coast To Coast comes on... I get scared.

Perhaps it is from my father dying at 46, me being 10 - watching the chemo, and death. Perhaps it is being an only child?

I've gone from church.. to church.. I've been baptized. The best concept I have now for this power that is greater than me I learned through a man called Bill W. who helped create the concept of "Create your own concept of God" - Emmit Fox if you will. "God is Good, God is Love, God is understanding.." - and just think those thoughts in times of anger/frustration/anxiety as that is the "Golden Key" (It has been working.)

Just imagine... laying on your death bed, at age 49 from cancer - and knowing your going to die -

What if... it is the end? That your consciousness, your memories, are gone. In a flash. The big sleep, it's as if you never existed and you can't retain your memories. Thoughts like these sometimes paralyze me to the point of... wow. Crying, and that is why... I always ask Why.

Someone best told me "You keep saying "God, show me the way and I'll go!" But God says, "Go, and I'll show you the way."

I've read so much on ATS from going to the bathing pool in the sky, to hellfire and stone if I don't worship A B OR C. I've read of the energy flowing dust to dust ashes to ashes, our energy goes not or thoughts - cryonics - we live in a simulated reality.. etc, etc.

Yet you - have you sat down and contemplated your own mortality?

If so -

How do you not get anxious over the idea of knowing - You're going to die.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Worrying about something out of your control, is a waste of time.

I know. I also worry sometimes, but why ? It's going to happen anyway.
I think the best way to live life is day by day... Who knows.... It can be your last.

My 2 cents.

~ Sinter

PS

The thought of dying scares me to death. That's why I don't think about it.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I am not afraid to die, and you should not be either.

What ever happens, happens.

That's what the universe would say, if it could speak....

Probe

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I'm scared of dying , it is the one thing we all must go through ,no one is free of it's grip , I think the mystery of death scares everyone, not knowing what's on the other side surely scares me , that's why I have strong religious beliefs.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Yet you - have you sat down and contemplated your own mortality?

If so -

How do you not get anxious over the idea of knowing - You're going to die.

I have contemplated and to be honest I can not do so without a bit of fear arising within. At the same time I try and find inspiration in the big "change" that may occur, you know the energy never dies, it just changes form. I really don't hold any particular views of heaven or an afterlife, but I do try and think that it is not a dark and empty extinguishing of any sensation or journey.
I recently read a book by Deepak Chopra called Life After Death, and although it could be chalked up to a poetic stab at the subject, it left me with some inspiration.

In India death is perceived very differently than in the West, "as a brief stopping point on an endless soul journey," says Chopra in this introduction to life beyond bodily existence. Chopra, a medical doctor and world leader in mind-body medicine as well as author of more than 45 books, now ventures to answer: what happens after we die? For Chopra, death deserves to be called miraculous, a "doorway to a far more important event the beginning of the afterlife" and a mode of being that "can be as creative as living." Chopra effectively uses the classic Vedanta story of Savitri a woman who comes home to find death, Lord Yama, waiting to take her husband, and who seeks the monk Ramana's advice to outwit death to frame each chapter. Chopra grounds each topic in the long arc of this singular story, which is the perfect springboard for Chopra to introduce concepts such as Akasha (the highest stage a soul can attain) and Eternity within the Indian tradition (where we are beyond death, life, maleness, femaleness, and the experience of time). Chopra presents a fascinating account of life after death for Westerners that will certainly please his avid fans and draw in new readers as well. (Nov.) Copyright 2006 Reed Business Information.

But yes, I still harbor fear regarding the subject and try not to dwell on it, and I will continue to search for insight into the experience, attempting to assign some kind of wonder to the event.

Peace,
spec

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Like you I have had a very close family member die at a relatively young age from cancer. I guess these traumatic events affect each of us differently. I have always believed that our soul lives on, and I also believe in re-incarnation - that we are reborn with certain lesson to learn. Once we have learned these lessons then we pass upwards to enlightenment.

A book called 'The Gift' by Mia Dolan was very interesting and sort of firmed up what I already believed in a way. I am not a christian nor do i follow any other religion. To me those are a great comfort to some but I am suspect of them - to much hard sell and anything that has to try that hard to convince me of something turns me off immediately.

I do believe that our soul lives on beyond the physical death of the body - i have seen a few things that have proven this to me.

I now focus on life. Life can be short, yes - so live it to the fullest. Don't be afraid to take risks (even with your life) if those risks reward you with a more fulfilling life. Don't be the guy who lies on his death bed at age 90 (or whatever) and looks back on his life and thinks 'Gee, I didn't really do anything'. Instead think 'Wow, what a ride!'

These are my own thoughts that i follow for me. I am not giving you advice, just sharing how I see things. I hope you can find peace in your soul to enable a more enjoyable existance. You are a searcher by the sounds of things, hence the drug use, various religious attempts etc. If I was to give you some advice it would be: stop searching and just live. And don't focus on death - who knows, the hereafter could be the most fun part!

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Diluted

The big joke of life is no body gets out alive.

I want my children to live enough to know love and happiness,...but other than that I have no fear,...."today is a good day to die." i do what i can in a day and let it go.

watched people die in front of me and have held the hand of strong men in there last moments many deaths arround me my whole life.

I am not afraid to die and be nothing if that is the case.
I am 100% all the time I can do no better than I do.
I would die to save any human and I am proud of my life.

I fear nothing except misunderstanding.

As for god I spit in the face of the BS thought of the set up of "If you love me I will let you kiss my toes for eternity ,if not you fry.
I would never set my children up as such.
I wouldn't break my childs leg to tell him not to run in the road.
god IS fear of death.

I will live to best of my ability until I die.

I will die and maybe it will be today,.....so what.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Your not the only one! I am absolutely terrified of dying, more of the pain but also of what happens after we die, do we go into the after lie or just switch off?
The one thing i am terrified of is things like 2012, Yellowstone erupting, tornadoes and things like that.
This isn't the best website for me as seeing all the silly predictions and that make me worse, you can just imagine how I feel with all the predictions about tomorrow. So don't worry your not the only one.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Someone once told me that we don't remember pain or stress from being born and we'll not remember any pain or stress when we move from this life to the next one.

That gave me a lot of peace.

Beyond that? The faith or belief system you're looking for is between you and your Creator.
Don't let anyone here influence you one way or another.
Work it out between you and what you feel is 'real' and 'right' and 'true'. Nothing else matters but that.

I hope you too can find some peace from the wrods I was told long ago.

peace
edit on 13-11-2010 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by avvie

You stay in your hole I will take the pill box because while you cower I will get the job done.
We have no time to contenplate what or why there is work to do.
I will do it for you while you wonder if I will make it back.

Would you rather die trying or hiding?

When I get back,...have a whiskey waiting for me ,....I may have to wash the blood out of my mouth.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
WHY WORRY?? The shape of the world any more would make it a BLESSING to not be in attendance to this crap any more anyways!!!!!!

Dont worry about death!!!!!

Besides, It will be a LOT MORE peaceful and much less of a struggle than being alive. A lot less worries, fears, pain, broken hearts, struggle, misery, worrying about getting laid-off, worrying about making rent or mortgage payments, worrying about being homeless, worrying about car repairs, worrying about sickness, worrying about doctor or hospital bills, and on and on and on and on.

NOW, I wouldnt purposely cease my existence, but it sure will be GREAT not having to deal with those things!!!!! SERIOUSLY.

The world STINKS, and mostly in part due to dirt bag elected officials which you have NO real control over anyways!!

Are you STILL worrying about death now??

edit on 13-11-2010 by ra.ra3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I think about this a lot also. I think what scares me the most is thinking that when we die, that is it. I'm agnostic so I don't know what to believe. I want to believe there is something after death but not enough to blindly follow a religion. Members of my family have said they have seen ghosts so that gives me some hope that maybe there is something out there. I just wish that I could see one so I could be more of a believer.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Diluted
Afraid of Dying

Perhaps, since you're searching for a resolution to your being afraid of dying, then you should ask the question... Who am I?

Are you skin, bones, blood vessels, etc.? Are you your "soul"? Is your soul tied directly to your nervous system, brain, etc? Or, does it exist soley on it's own but in harmony with your brain, skin, bones, etc?

I have come to the conclusion that I am my soul and that the physical body my soul occupies is just a temporary means to be a part of this world. I could be wrong, but I really don't think I am.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Worrying about things you cannot control is what ends up killing you.

I have had a parachute malfunction on a jump at only 1200 FT altitude,but managed to make it open because I didn't panic.

I have had many near misses when riding a bicycle by retarded cage monkeys on cel-phones not watching what they were doing,but didn't panic.

There are many more times I have nearly been killed,which I am not going into here and now.

But.......

The secret is to concentrate on what you are doing now;worrying about the very last thing you will ever have to do is what causes you to have a lapse in concentration in the present.

A lapse in concentration in the present is how a lot of people needlessly fumble into fatal situations.

There is no avoiding the unavoidable,just enjoy the time you have.

I hope my 00.02 cents helps somehow.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I see death as transition.Transition to a much much better life than what we have here.Yes it saddens us,but that is our own selfishness, in cases' where pain and suffering is endured by our loved ones we should be happy and greatfull that they pass to a higher life unhindered by physical possessions and disease.
Transition should be celebrated not commiserated.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
It was only when I was told I was dieing that I began to live.

Sixteen months ago I was told I had a fatal disease. It was necessary that I immediately have a shunt put in my arm for dialysis or I would die before a kidney was available.

My world fell out from under me. I fought the idea that the doctor was right. I cried for weeks.

Over the next twelve months I had four failed attempts at surgically placing tubes in various parts of my arm.
Nothing worked.

During those twelve months I made up my mind that I was not going to die as soon as my doctor said I would. I began to really enjoy life and put my complete trust in God.

I have to have blood work every week and Procrit injections when my red blood cell goes to an undesirable number.

For months I was required to have the injections weekly.

For the past three weeks my red blood cell count has gone up and I don't need the shots.

I no longer fear dieing. I have my motorcycle in the shop being painted and overhauled. I should have it before Christmas.

Do not fear death. Death can be a great friend when one is suffering.

Live and enjoy every breath you take until it's your time to leave this world we are in.
Fearing death steals your joy while you are alive.

My love and light to those that fear death. All is well with my soul.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
As i am reading this one thing comes to my mind, "The Egg" if you have not read it, I highly reccomend you read it www.godlikeproductions.com... it has a different view about death, it makes you think. another story i read around the interwebs was the one that basically states that what ever religion you believe in is what you will encounter after death. Someone on here said that you should not fear what is unchanging, unwavering, and innevitable, I belive that this is the way to live.
edit on 13-11-2010 by LunchBocks because: spelling error

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman

Originally posted by Diluted
Afraid of Dying

Perhaps, since you're searching for a resolution to your being afraid of dying, then you should ask the question... Who am I?

Are you skin, bones, blood vessels, etc.? Are you your "soul"? Is your soul tied directly to your nervous system, brain, etc? Or, does it exist soley on it's own but in harmony with your brain, skin, bones, etc?

I have come to the conclusion that I am my soul and that the physical body my soul occupies is just a temporary means to be a part of this world. I could be wrong, but I really don't think I am.

Right on, totally agree. By believing in this one thing has helped me overcome any fear of death, and I have come close a couple of times!

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I dont worry about death at all. Its something we can not escape, and its inevitable. However the time we do pass on is not. Thats why we should live life to the fullest every minute we have

However I do worry about the grief my friends and family will experience though, but its comforting to know that grief does not last forever

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
You cannot account for conciousness by simply describing us in terms of a collection of inanimate particles. There is clearly more to life than it just being a chemical occurence. You cannot destroy matter or energy - why should the human spirit be an exception. NOTHING ENDS.

If you look at yourself with complete honesty and with no excuses for the wrongs you've done (not that I know if you have or haven't) and you feel remorse; and if you can find it within yourself to forgive people for their sins against you: I'm pretty certain the fear of death will leave you.

Fiction always seems to portray dying people finding that everything is put in perspective; I believe this to be true and there is no real reason why you can't obtain this perspective now. I doubt anyone will be worrying about an outstanding debt, when they're faced with leaving this entire realm.

edit on 13-11-2010 by Robert Reynolds because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join