It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big News: AboveTopSecret.com is 1,693!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by achaiah86
I was under the impression that a conspiracy theory website would want to stay (underground)...

How can that be of benefit to anyone? No one would discover what the members are thinking. The members would feel their efforts are futile in that no one is listening.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by achaiah86
I was under the impression that a conspiracy theory website would want to stay (underground) like Tech N9N>? Well lets continue as a site to never let our heads get the better of us now eh?

That speaks more to the popular connotation of the term 'conspiracy theorist'...which has been traditionally made to be a negative and subversive label by mainstream media.

The conspiracies and illegitimate social/financial dealings that have become the norm from decades of mainstream media only communication need to be communicated...

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Poll...

How much do you think the web traffic would spike is Skeptic changed his avatar chlothing to be a bikini, soking a cigar, and reading a print copy of the ATS news?

How much do you think the web traffic would spike if the conspiracy chicks did thier next episode while both wearing bikinis?

Just kidding, thanks for all the news and congrats on such a success.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Wow. Just wow. Stunning doesn't cover it.

Congratulations!

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Aboveground Underground

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
How can that be of benefit to anyone? No one would discover what the members are thinking. The members would feel their efforts are futile in that no one is listening.

Indeed. I remember the "good old days" back in the '80s when the only way to get "alternative information" was via literal word of mouth, books, underground newspapers, flyers, the occasional rogue radio station or community access program and nth-generation faxes -- the majority of which were barely coherent, let alone cogent.

Under the blanket of a docile, compliant mass media culture, people in positions of power could get away with pretty much anything (including murder), and they knew it.

Even now, in the Internet Age, where such villainy is routinely laid bare, the legacy of centuries of being able to lie, deceive and terrorize with impunity is still fully evident in the behavior of powerful institutions and cabals.

The only thing that will ever change them is what they fear most: exposure.

And you don't get that by whispering in the basement.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Majic

Now all I have to do is make a scene in front of FOX NEWS camera's (primarily Geraldo) and plug ATS

BTW, has ATS ever been in the news? Any interviews etc? You guys should hire a publicist and hang around TAO in Vegas wearing an ATS cap, or feature in Keeping Up with the Kardashians.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Congrats ATS!

I just joined, and i was influenced by this partly to be part of this vast community!

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
You see guys and girls!? This was the November tipping point!
Congratulations

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I think the main thing that ATS provides is something that can be hard to come by in a digital age of lies, fraudsters and corrupt media. That is an honest, unbiased, collective opinion that is untouched by the hand of outside forces. It is truth that people who arrive here are looking for, something that is hard to come by.

People who are waking up to the workings of the world may feel isolated out there in the mainstream, feeling that they are alone in their thinking. They only have the mainstream media to provide what is truth versus fiction. ATS is a platform for any free thinking individual in the world to come here, present questions and ideas and thoughts to an unbiased, uncorrupted group of peers and in turn receive an honest assessment of things.

Out in the matrix it is often difficult to discern from what is real and what is propaganda, and this site gives people an excellent measuring stick. A place to bounce ideas off of like minded (and not so like minded) people from all backgrounds, from all corners of the world. It is also a place where these same people from all corners of the globe can communicate openly with one another, somewhere to have a dialogue with people you otherwise would never know.

It is a bastion of free communication for free people. This site is mainly untouched and uncorrupted by the outside media, by the politicians and the money grubbers. This site is a collective counsciousness of all its members as one, it is made of the thoughts of millions of free thinking people connecting and communicating. And that can't possibly be a bad thing.

Congrats to all who have contributed

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Yay, the number of crapposts are going up, this site is going to hell, and the site owners are increasing their profit. Well, at least the death of something beautiful is making someone rich.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Happyfeet
Yay, the number of crapposts are going up, this site is going to hell,

Perhaps you might explain how you can justify the notion that an increasing number of people (more than mainstream sites such as FoxSports.com, BBC.com, etc.) would be interested in a site with "crap posts", or a site that is "going to hell?"

In my years of experience with online content, since before the Web, the typical arc of traffic is one of decreasing amounts for information sources that have "crap."
edit on 15-11-2010 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
3xpost
edit on 15-11-2010 by strangleholder1 because: treble post

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
part of the treble post mystery...
edit on 15-11-2010 by strangleholder1 because: 3xpost

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by strangleholder1
Your welcome!
FFS! What is it about your and you're. I can't seem to stop using the wrong one when typing. It's like a mental blindspot or perhaps I've been having a 38yr stroke? Mmnnn! I love that smell, who's making toast on this thread?...

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Guys, this site is an amazing array of great minds.... of course we are going to be 1,693.... soon to be No 1..

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I would most certainly love to voice my concerns about this site. The first concern I have stems from the fact that I have seen this site grow for many years and blossom into a very nice part of the web dealing with issues that other site would never touch, and allowing smart minds to come together to discuss and research important issues. This changed, and I believe the biggest reason why it changed was that ATS gained mainstream attention and brought with it a lot of, for lack of a better word, "noobs."

This is the point where either the site owners failed, or got greedy as more users means more profit. The real downhill spiral started I believe near the end of 2009, that is, ATS has declined a lot recently, not slowly over time like some sites have done. With the influx of new members came a lot of dumb posts and threads, nothing was done to keep morons from posting and I watched as some of the most patient people on the net tried to instruct and educate the fresh meat. The fresh meat did not heed the instruction and teaching of the long time ATS members because, well, they are morons.

ATS became overwhelmed with these people, the site was flooded with dumb threads, and we were really suffering. Then came a very badly timed site overhaul. Granted, ATS needed some improvements to the site, but those improvements came at a bad time for the membership that was already having a hard time wading through the Niburu, Timewave Zero, and Webbot threads(among others even dumber) when their ability to use the site was severely crippled.

Now we must also consider that mods are and were selectively enforcing the rules, making it harder for intelligent threads to get to the top, while allowing the stupid to flow freely to the top. With this said though I believe bad moderation is only a small part of the problem, but would yield a big help if they were to treat all of us with a level playing field.

To make matters worse this site started receiving something new as an attack, the thread bombing. Basically a gaggle of dsinfo agents/retards(disinfo being a joke) performing a tactic that helped ruin digg.com. Threads with no real value would shoot to the top with 40 flags, while the important threads were buried. This is an organized campaign and the culprits need to be banned. This problem is neither the fault of the admins nor the site owners, but the spamming of flags needs to die.

Lastly the " no more rudeness" thread and threats of banning for those who would call idiots what they are really did a number on some of us. Currently idiots have a free roam, but we are left with no recourse but name calling and hoping that a moderator will enforce the rules. These problems are not being addressed, and that is why I get the feeling the site owners care more about getting "to the top" than they do about quality.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
1,688 now.

So far, in 2010, we've had:
45 million visits and 183 million pages viewed.

In all of 2009, we had:
39 million visits and 162 million pages viewed.

We're on-pace for a 2010 with:
52 million visits and 210 million pages viewed.

Also in 2010 so far this year...

24 million visits from searches on 956,000+ different search phrases and keywords

1 million distinct pages (URLs) were viewed -- 1 million different pages containing distinct content!

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Happyfeet

Your proposition is not a knew one. It's called editorial censorship based upon what YOU deem as "stupid" or "dumb" content.

Not happening.

Springer...

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Part Of The Solution, Or Part Of The Problem?

Originally posted by Happyfeet
Lastly the " no more rudeness" thread and threats of banning for those who would call idiots what they are really did a number on some of us. Currently idiots have a free roam, but we are left with no recourse but name calling and hoping that a moderator will enforce the rules.

Actually, you do have recourse other than name-calling. You are always welcome to ALERT posts that are inappropriate or otherwise violate the AboveTopSecret.com Terms And Conditions Of Use and bring them to our attention. Granted, it can sometimes take us a while to catch up with the workload, but fate eventually catches up with people who make a habit of being obnoxious on ATS.

While I do share some of your concerns about post quality, aside from the needs of basic rule enforcement by mods, I don't think it would be right for anyone other than each member to decide what they consider a good post or a bad post. There are just way too many problems with imposing strict editorial control over posts on a discussion board where so many different opinions are solicited -- and needed.

I strongly disagree with the notion that allowing members to go around calling each other idiots would somehow improve the quality of our forums. The proof against it is the abhorrent post quality of every forum on the Internet where it is allowed, and there are many.

Put another way, if ATSers went around calling each other idiots, all that would be left is a bunch of idiots.

I hope we can agree that wouldn't be an improvement.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
Perhaps at some point you will be telling Larry King, on air, how much his show sucks...

Congrats to the entirety of ATS...!

Lol couldn't have said it better myself.

Congrats ATS!

On the other hand... all this might just be a sign of END TIMES!

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join