It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bought My First Hand Gun....Freaky

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Soldier of God

Soldier of God wrote...Just remember Christopher Reeve was killed by a horse...

and Sonny Bono was taken down by a tree
edit on 8-12-2010 by laughsalot because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Its a very natural thing to carry some kind of weapon, as in tribal times we were used to carrying spears and swords. The modern handshake is apparantley a means of showing that we are unarmed. There is a kind of mutual respect when people carry weapons for defensive purposes. The currents systems assume that anyone who carries a weapon is going to use it, and there are no need for weapons because of the "police". This basically puts our fate in the hands of the police, and even if they do a good job, by restricting us from carrying weapons, they are basically keeping us under their boot.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

Paradoxically, some of the smaller handguns, such as J-Frames, have a lot more recoil than larger ones. Although I have a Glock 19 myself (which is OK on recoil) I had the opportunity for fire a 1911 not long ago. Frankly I was scared of it. A .45 is about as powerful as you can get. But I was VERY surprised that the recoil was nominal and well within my 'stress limit.' I also agree with the OP that grip is a crucial factor. If the grip is too small, your pinky finger is going to dangle loose, so you'll only have two fingers and a thumb around the grip. If you can't control the gun, there's going to be more recoil.

One more suggestion: Get a Ruger Mk III Hunter as a starter gun. It will get her used to the issue and as a .22 won't break the bank in ammo costs. I wouldn't recommend it for self defense, but it's a great plinker.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I think your husband bought that firearm for you.
Btw, the XD is a much better weapon.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by sliceNodice
I think your husband bought that firearm for you.

What's that supposed to mean?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Gun or no gun is an argument I've had with myself for years. I actually took shooting lessons with a handgun, and was amazingly accurate with hitting a target.

But my male friends and family seemed to think I wouldn't be able to actually use it in an "emergency", and it would consequently be taken from me, and used against me, having introduced it to the situation.

I think I could though. But I really shake when I'm scared. Trembling hands upon fear. Sigh.

Don't tasers work well, too? I'm now thinking of going that route. One for the home, one for the car, one for special persons. lol.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
congratulations!!! shooting is such an important hobby to me and it might be yours to if you get a better gun. I am also a fan of taurus but not that specific gun. i think you should maybe get a nice small taurus revolver. i also believe every gun has and needs a matching knife. for every gun i have i have a knife that matches it. Ex AK74= KABAR .

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join