It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bought My First Hand Gun....Freaky

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

Different states have different laws concerning gun ownership. We submit to a state criminal background check in the state of Nevada. There is no registration of any firearms in Nevada except for Clark County(Las Vegas) where you must register handguns and obtain what is called a blue card. Rifles are exempt from registration. Nevada has a state preemption law that says gun laws in Nevada may not be made more restrictive than existing State law, Clark County had their rules before the preemption law went into effect, those regulations were grandfathered in.

In the rest of Nevada there are no registration or licensing laws whatsoever. There are also no restrictions on magazine capacity, pistol grips, storage, or anything else. If you want to carry concealed you must pass a course and a background check, be finger printed, and if all goes well you will have a CCW which you MUST carry if you are going to carry concealed. We also have open carry policy in all of Nevada. Meaning you can wear your pistol on your hip if you choose or carry an AR15 down the street...Just expect weird looks and the cops to stop and ask a few questions if you have an AR. I open carry with pistols and have been stopped only once 'cause it's at night and people don't usually open carry in my neighborhood. There are enhancements in criminal law if you use a gun in a crime. You must be 18 to purchase a rifle of any kind, and you must be 21 to purchase a handgun.

No full auto machine guns are sold but to class three federal firearms licensed owners, same goes for suppressors which are restricted at the Federal level. If you have this license you can freely own auto weapons in Nevada. Semi-auto weapons are not restricted in any form.

Right next door is California where gun registration of any weapon is mandatory, anything with a pistol grip is illegal. There are restrictions on magazine size, and anything semi-auto must have a maximum capacity of 10 rounds(rifles actually). CCWs are also issued in this state. No auto weapons allowed outside of LE and military.

As you can see, some states are more restrictive than others, and some states aren't restricted at all.

Arizona is much like Nevada except they don't require permits to carry concealed. Neither does Alaska or Vermont. We're among the least restrictive states in the union and we have very high rates of ownership. Because of this we also have great firearms facilities where people can learn anything they feel they need to learn to effectively use their weapons.

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head...(It's late here) Some laws can be confusing, especially at Federal level. State laws tend to be pretty straight forward. But in Federal law, if you're not careful, the wrong part on a rifle can get you thrown in prison. It is ALWAYS important to READ and INTERNALIZE ALL gun laws that apply in your state, and if your state doesn't have a preemption law, in your county or city. You are also responsible for understanding Federal gun laws and how they apply to you and your weapons.

Always be legal, always be safe.

edit on 16-11-2010 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Ah yes, the never ending story.

Here in the Weaponry and Tactics forum, weapons and tactics are on-topic.

But let's please leave politics for the political forums. If anyone notices anything out of place, please don't hesitate to ALERT it and let us know.

Thanks.

edit on 11/16/2010 by Majic because: (no reason given)

My apologies Majic. I should have known better. I've seen enough of these sorts of conversations spiral downwards pretty fast. I should not have been drawn in by that comment.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Wow thanks for your in depth answer to my question. Its a world away from the UK. I would imagine tougher laws will come in over time as there are more shootings in schools etc. I wonder if there are higher incidents of people being shot in the states with the more lax laws or the states with the more stringent laws.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   

I carry a kahr pm9 everywhere. At work the only time I have to take it off is when I go to the county jail or the court house. But everywhere else its on my hip concealed of course since we don't have open carry here.

I'm also getting a taser not stun gun but taser american taser will send you a new one in the event you deploy it and file a police report.
FAQ from taser manf. site

What happens if I have to use my C2 to defend myself and it’s lost as a result? TASER C2 has a Lifetime Replacement Guarantee.* If you ever have to use your C2 to defend yourself and must leave it behind, TASER International will replace it free of charge once you’ve sent us a police report of the incident. No question - your life is worth more to us than the cost of a C2! *Applies only to incidents that occur within the U.S.

the link below is the state gun crime stats. The top 5 have 3 states that have some of the most stringent gun restrictions. The facts are right there gun laws don't stop gun crime.

www.statemaster.com...

edit on 16/11/10 by Arkansas because: To add information about tasers

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Nice gun. Good to see someone looking out for themselves.

just me or the guy in your third vid flinch alot on the trigger?

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   

I would imagine that socioeconomic factors play a much higher role than regulation, just as in all other crime.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by tarifa37

I wonder if there are higher incidents of people being shot in the states with the more lax laws or the states with the more stringent laws.

To avoid a derail into political bickering I'm going to direct you this post here made in an old thread listing each of the "massacre" type events from the Mass Shooting Timeline with their respective gun laws being lax or loose.

Your answer is there.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahmose
Congrats!

I agree with the title..
getting your first gun, [for me at least], and you apparently..
can be a freaky feeling. lol

When I got my first handgun,
my brother who is a cop/sherriff is the one who got it for me,
and he brought it to me and said "a gift".. and handed me a case. lol

I opened it , and was very excited, but also felt weird! lol
Like holy $&^%!
Stuffs just got 'real'!

Then, for days, or even a week or two after..
I kept thinking silly things like " holy crap.. I have a REAL handgun in there"
and " man, hope i really dont have to use it other than for practice" ... lol

I would suggest you take a course if you havent already, or havent already decided to.
Though I think it is required to take a course in order to own/carry a handgun..
at least here in this state, where I am vacationing from my home on the lunar surface. lol

and definitely get a lock for it,
and then keep that gun with the lock on it in another locked safe. lol

Be safe,
All the best.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
If you are buying a weapon for survivalist reasons, a hand gun is just about your least effective option. Much better off with a reliable, medium caliber, easily maintained rifle.

Hand guns are ok for last ditch protection, but holstering it on the outside will be a problem in public, so I am assuming you are arming for survival.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arkansas

I carry a kahr pm9 everywhere. At work the only time I have to take it off is when I go to the county jail or the court house. But everywhere else its on my hip concealed of course since we don't have open carry here. ]

www.statemaster.com...

edit on 16/11/10 by Arkansas because: To add information about tasers

Thanks for the reply. Here in TN I am licensed to open carry (which I don't do) or concealed. As Fiberx mentioned I also think open carrying is just asking for trouble.
TN Hand Gun Link
edit on 16-11-2010 by Bachrk because: spelling as usual

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesquid
Nice gun. Good to see someone looking out for themselves.

just me or the guy in your third vid flinch alot on the trigger?

From what I understand the Taurus 740 has a slightly longer trigger pull (probably not the correct terminology)which is fine by me. My husbands Springfield has a short pull. Being the silly person I am I prefer not to take a chance on a rogue spastic trigger finger. lol I'd rather work a little harder to pull the trigger.

As projectvxn suggested I will be taking the advanced tactical course here locally.
I went through the Police Academy about 15yrs ago to become a cop but figured out real quick that in my opinion and my area they don't pay enough for the daily dangers you encounter. Looking back....excellent decision.

This weekend I'm going to have my husband do a quick video of my shooting mainly for the members asking about how strong the kickback/recoil is should their wives be considering a handgun. I'll post here and youtube.

edit on 16-11-2010 by Bachrk because: spelling

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vandalour
Remember to lock that thing up

American children are more at risk from firearms than the children of any other industrialized nation. In one year, firearms killed no children in Japan, 19 in Great Britain, 57 in Germany, 109 in France, 153 in Canada, and 5,285 in the United States. (Centers for Disease Control)

While I believe that the CDC's statistics are flawed, this isn't the time nor the place to get into that. You do need to make a descision on the security of the weapon. I don't know the status of your household (kids, elderly people, people on medication) but, if the weapon is to be used for home security, you need a balance between your being able to access it rapidly and the prevention of the wrong people being able to use it. Personally I keep mine in a drawer in a nightstand beside my bed. The pistol is loaded with 10 rounds, without a round in the chamber. The night stand is solid hardwood with a hasp on the drawer. The hasp is secured with a push button padlock, that I have practiced opening enough that I can do it without thinking in the dark. I do not have a trigger lock unless I am transporting the pistol to the range. I also keep two spare clips with 10 rounds each in the drawer. It is easier to keep track of the number of rounds you have left if you load just 10 rounds and it helps extend the life of the springs in the clips.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Personally, i have myself a desert eagle, something that could hemorrhage for sure, and not just stop on flesh contact and leave a graze, but if i ever use it, its going to be for burglary or serial killers trying to get on my ass.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bachrk
Well today I bought myself a gun. After testing, testing, and further testing WHILE being annoyed by my husband who's a Springfield XD guy himself, I purchased a Taurus 740 slim. (40 caliber) The grips fantastic for my tiny hands and it fires smooth. 6 rounds and 1 in chamber. Lighter so it doesn't pull my pants down.

Honestly that's about all I know on the gun and that I'm a good shot.

I also bought an over the belt holster as I don't feel comfortable with a gun actually IN my pants.

Anyone else have any thoughts, suggestions, etc?
edit on 13-11-2010 by Bachrk because: spelling

Congrats! .40 is a great round, I carry speer golddot hollow points in my sig and in my .380. I've heard nothing bad about the Taurus in general from my friends who carry them.

Not knowing what the laws are where you are, if you can get a CCW (or need one) then I'd say go for it.

Shooting is a perishable skill, so I'd try to make time to hit the range on a regular basis.

Tell you something else: while you'll hear all sorts of opinions about the brands and calibers, the best weapon is the one you'll have with you when you need it!

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Don't forget gun safety. Much of the world starts shooting without this important info. I went shooting with some lesbians on Saturday. Many of my friends are lesbians. They like shooting because it is so macho. I went shooting with a different group of lesbians last month. They were all very unsafe, not having learned gun safety. I am going to start a gay/lesbian gun club just so I can teach them gun safety. I'm straight, but I know the NRA types will not be nice to the gays, so we have to start our own gun club. I hate to say it, but NRA, they hate gay.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

If you are buying a weapon for survivalist reasons, a hand gun is just about your least effective option. Much better off with a reliable, medium caliber, easily maintained rifle.

From the caliber, sounds like she wants stopping power, and is carrying for personal defense.

From a survivalist standpoint, I'd agree on the rifle, but a handgun is a LOT easier to carry, if the survival scenario calls for swift movement...

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
One more vote for the XD my first carry gun was a Taurus Millennium Pro 9mm Stainless slide, it was a good carry gun perfect size and enough firepower but I HATED the trigger, way too long and stiff of a pull with not nearly as clean a break as I like. I traded it in for an XD Sub-Compact 3" barrel .40 S&W it's not too much bigger, just as many rounds as the Millennium held only with the added punch of the .40. It was a night and day difference between the Taurus and the XD, the XD has such a nice crisp trigger out of the box with a fairly short pull and very short reset (I especially like that) I was much more accurate with the XD despite the significantly increased kick but it is still manageable and I can have second and third shots on target fast and accurate. I also prefer the wider grip of the XD as I have big hands and find a thicker grip to be more controllable to me especially with heavy calibers in small relatively light guns.

My mom is very petite with small hands and after shooting my XD she traded in her Millennium Pro 9mm for an XD Compact 4" barrel in 9mm as her main carry gun and she never looked back she has 5 more more rounds and a far more accurate and controllable weapon, this thing is a real tack driver. The 2 XDs' we have both have a good 3000 rounds combined and only one or to FTE and only one FTF that I remember and I attribute that to questionable ammo. Long story short the XD is well worth the little added width even for petite women.

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger

Originally posted by Bachrk
Well today I bought myself a gun. After testing, testing, and further testing WHILE being annoyed by my husband who's a Springfield XD guy himself, I purchased a Taurus 740 slim. (40 caliber) The grips fantastic for my tiny hands and it fires smooth. 6 rounds and 1 in chamber. Lighter so it doesn't pull my pants down.

Honestly that's about all I know on the gun and that I'm a good shot.

I also bought an over the belt holster as I don't feel comfortable with a gun actually IN my pants.

Anyone else have any thoughts, suggestions, etc?
edit on 13-11-2010 by Bachrk because: spelling

Congrats! .40 is a great round, I carry speer golddot hollow points in my sig and in my .380. I've heard nothing bad about the Taurus in general from my friends who carry them.

Not knowing what the laws are where you are, if you can get a CCW (or need one) then I'd say go for it.

Shooting is a perishable skill, so I'd try to make time to hit the range on a regular basis.

Tell you something else: while you'll hear all sorts of opinions about the brands and calibers, the best weapon is the one you'll have with you when you need it!

The speer gold dot especially the short barrel version is my favorite self defense round in the .40 S&W, every test through phonebooks, water drums, and ballistics gel have shown reliable expansion with very little breaking of the "leaves" not to mention very deep penetration in fact I actually sometimes worry about the round being borderline over-penetrative, but all around a very good self defense round.
edit on 29-11-2010 by BigDave-AR because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigDave-AR
One more vote for the XD my first carry gun was a Taurus Millennium Pro 9mm Stainless slide, it was a good carry gun perfect size and enough firepower but I HATED the trigger, way too long and stiff of a pull with not nearly as clean a break as I like. I traded it in for an XD Sub-Compact 3" barrel .40 S&W it's not too much bigger, just as many rounds as the Millennium held only with the added punch of the .40. It was a night and day difference between the Taurus and the XD, the XD has such a nice crisp trigger out of the box with a fairly short pull and very short reset (I especially like that) I was much more accurate with the XD despite the significantly increased kick but it is still manageable and I can have second and third shots on target fast and accurate. I also prefer the wider grip of the XD as I have big hands and find a thicker grip to be more controllable to me especially with heavy calibers in small relatively light guns.

My mom is very petite with small hands and after shooting my XD she traded in her Millennium Pro 9mm for an XD Compact 4" barrel in 9mm as her main carry gun and she never looked back she has 5 more more rounds and a far more accurate and controllable weapon, this thing is a real tack driver. The 2 XDs' we have both have a good 3000 rounds combined and only one or to FTE and only one FTF that I remember and I attribute that to questionable ammo. Long story short the XD is well worth the little added width even for petite women,

I'm going to have to give you a big fat booooo for taking the enemies (my husbands) side.

On another note, we'll be doing our own bullet reloading soon. This better save money like "he" says it will.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Bachrk

If I hadn't shot a Taurus 740 (belonging to a good friend) and my Springfield .40 Sub Compact right next to each other I wouldn't be so adamant about the XD being a better all around gun even with the little bit of added weight and width. In fact my friend was so impressed he bought a XD soon after shooting mine. Oh and your husband sounds like a smart man .

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Like I said: the very best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it.

Whatever your choice, I wish more women were armed and I really am glad you are!

Too many women are victims of rape and other violence.

I am the youngest of ten kids, with six older sisters - there's been more than one night when I sat up waiting for a boyfriend or husband to walk through the door after beating one of my sisters. If they had, that would have been the last act on earth they ever did.

Good for you! Stay safe and practice with that sucker!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join