It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bought My First Hand Gun....Freaky

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Well today I bought myself a gun. After testing, testing, and further testing WHILE being annoyed by my husband who's a Springfield XD guy himself, I purchased a Taurus 740 slim. (40 caliber) The grips fantastic for my tiny hands and it fires smooth. 6 rounds and 1 in chamber. Lighter so it doesn't pull my pants down.

Honestly that's about all I know on the gun and that I'm a good shot.

I also bought an over the belt holster as I don't feel comfortable with a gun actually IN my pants.

Anyone else have any thoughts, suggestions, etc?
edit on 13-11-2010 by Bachrk because: spelling

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Congrats!! Remember to practise and practise often, you never know (god forbid) if you will ever need it. If you dont have it, I would recommend getting your CCW permit (assuming your state needs one, as opposed to Alaska/Vermont style of carry)
The Taurus is a nice gun. I've fired quite a few of them. I settled on an S&W Sigma 40ve (and before anyone throws abuse my way, about my choice of EDC, i've had close on 3000 rounds through it, and only 1 FTE and 2 FTF's.!)
The recoil on the Taurus is pretty easy too, doesnt take long to re-acquire a target once a round has been fired.
Good choice!

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I've got a question. Are you a small woman? (you said that you have tiny hands] My wife is not a handgun fan because of the recoil and I'm looking for a gun she will find easy to handle.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64
I've got a question. Are you a small woman? (you said that you have tiny hands] My wife is not a handgun fan because of the recoil and I'm looking for a gun she will find easy to handle.

Hi David64,

I'd say I'm a pretty small gal. 5ft1 in the morning (I shrink as the day drags on lol) I weigh about 125lbs. which some say is fat but I wear size 5 jeans. Kind of a gymnast build, small, heavy for my height but compact.

The Taurus has a little recoil but it really fits perfect for my hand and short fingers. I think your wife should try one out.

________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi shaolin_dragon,
Thanks very much for the info and yes I already have my ccw permit.

edit on 13-11-2010 by Bachrk because: spelling as usual

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Thanks, I'll see if I can find one. Hope you never have to use it.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Girls with guns are HOT!! Personally, I must say that I agree with your husband the XD series is my favorite too. However, people with small hands tend not to like the grip, so its understandable you would prefer something else. I've never owned a Taurus but I have to say I've never heard anything good about them from the people I know who do own them, and I have heard a lot of bad. Their experiences tell me you should go ahead and get the mailing address and a package ready, gun's going to jam or clip will fall out while firing soon, but hopefully not.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
A couple of vids. Next weekend I'll make my own video and post!

1st Taurus Video-Start at 1:30 Mark for the gals

2nd Taurus Video Link

3rd Taurus Vid Link

edit on 13-11-2010 by Bachrk because: Link added

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Remember to lock that thing up

American children are more at risk from firearms than the children of any other industrialized nation. In one year, firearms killed no children in Japan, 19 in Great Britain, 57 in Germany, 109 in France, 153 in Canada, and 5,285 in the United States. (Centers for Disease Control)

www.neahin.org...

I live in Denmark and here you cant buy weapons... but that also means we got a average of 2 death per year of gunshoots.. ( hunting acidents )

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
gratulation..i wish i could buy one for myself

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vandalour
Remember to lock that thing up

American children are more at risk from firearms than the children of any other industrialized nation. In one year, firearms killed no children in Japan, 19 in Great Britain, 57 in Germany, 109 in France, 153 in Canada, and 5,285 in the United States. (Centers for Disease Control)

www.neahin.org...

I live in Denmark and here you cant buy weapons... but that also means we got a average of 2 death per year of gunshoots.. ( hunting acidents )

Just remember Christopher Reeve was killed by a horse...

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
My thoughts are this. Aside from practice, take a tactical practical course. Many CCW course trainers also train people in tactical handgun use. Learn EVERYTHING about your weapon.

Learn about every little part, learn how to service the weapon. None of this is too difficult. But guns are like any piece of machinery, they need to be cleaned, well-oiled(not excessively), and maintained properly. There are courses for that, but your gun's user manual should help with that too.

Happy shooting!

BTW, girls with guns

edit on 13-11-2010 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
My thoughts are this. Aside from practice, take a tactical practical course. Many CCW course trainers also train people in tactical handgun use. Learn EVERYTHING about your weapon.

Learn about every little part, learn how to service the weapon. None of this is too difficult. But guns are like any piece of machinery, they need to be cleaned, well-oiled(not excessively), and maintained properly. There are courses for that, but your gun's user manual should help with that too.

Happy shooting!

BTW, girls with guns

edit on 13-11-2010 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

I'm in total agreement with Project with this. If money was no object, i would highly recommend Clint Smith over at Thunder Ranch. Around here (Ohio) TDI is one of the better advanced handgun courses you can go on. They deal with force on force, real life scenarios and a multitude of other things. I'm not sure where you are in the country, but check for local advanced handgun courses, that cover off things like real life scenarios. Range time is good for aim, and being able to squeeze off shots quickly and accurately, but if you should ever have to move and fire at the same time, things change can dramatically.
Plus, its usually an awesome day out!!

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Only in America.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
Only in America.

Yup, only in America, where the right to self defense doesn't mean you have to wait 10 minutes for the cops to show up, when you're being beaten to a bloody pulp and/or getting raped.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Ah yes, the never ending story.

Here in the Weaponry and Tactics forum, weapons and tactics are on-topic.

But let's please leave politics for the political forums. If anyone notices anything out of place, please don't hesitate to ALERT it and let us know.

Thanks.

edit on 11/16/2010 by Majic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Click here for more information.

Mod note: It's very bad manners to troll a thread right after a mod requests we stay on topic. Please don't do it again. -- Majic

Additional note: Don't compound the problem by removing mod edits. Please read this, especially the part about arguing with mods in threads. We'll discuss this via U2U. -- Majic

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Mod note: Please, let's just focus on weapons going forward. -- Majic

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Congrats!

I agree with the title..
getting your first gun, [for me at least], and you apparently..
can be a freaky feeling. lol

When I got my first handgun,
my brother who is a cop/sherriff is the one who got it for me,
and he brought it to me and said "a gift".. and handed me a case. lol

I opened it , and was very excited, but also felt weird! lol
Like holy $&^%!
Stuffs just got 'real'!

Then, for days, or even a week or two after..
I kept thinking silly things like " holy crap.. I have a REAL handgun in there"
and " man, hope i really dont have to use it other than for practice" ... lol

I would suggest you take a course if you havent already, or havent already decided to.
Though I think it is required to take a course in order to own/carry a handgun..
at least here in this state, where I am vacationing from my home on the lunar surface. lol

and definitely get a lock for it,
and then keep that gun with the lock on it in another locked safe. lol

Be safe,
All the best.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Bachrk

Thanks for this thread , because I'm from the UK( where pants mean something else,made your OP even more interesting
) I find it fascinating that you can go and buy guns. What checks do they make on you when you want to purchase a gun?Do you have to keep it in a locked cabinet? In the UK to own a gun you need to get a licence to get the licence you have to be checked for previous criminal convictions. When you finally get your gun (that can only be a shot gun or single shot rifle) ( no hand guns or automatic guns allowed) you must keep it in a gun cabinet that gets checked out to make sure it conforms. I haven't got a gun but my Step father has for clay pigeon shoots. ( Browning GTI)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join