It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Visit To Abandoned Aslyum (With Pictures)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
What about the blacked out pics?

I thought i saw something in one of the windows.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   
yea i can kinda see that in the window

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Me and soem friends have been there probably like about 30 times, and it has gotten boring now, and i have like about 20 times better pictures (IN COLOR) and inside of buildings inside the asylum, i know you were lying since i read your thing were it said all the pictures came out black because we have pictures of the inside and the street where you guys took that pic of the lights... well as soon as i find out how to #en post picz here i will, as a matter of fact me and my homies just went yesterday, i have 20 times better picz, TRUST ME! its not true about them coming out black because i have some, so email me at [email protected] or just wait till i figure this # out

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 12:54 AM
link   
blaH

[edit on 24-7-2004 by chukis]

[edit on 24-7-2004 by Spectre]

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Am I the only one that sees that the light source is also reflecting off the water in the gutter of the street in the pic of the street and the street lights?

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 02:20 PM
link   
i have been to that place like 7 yrs ago...before it was all gated up...I went to Warren High School..that is how i knew aobut this place. That place has a bunch of wierd things i can not explain..it is now very closely observed by the police. Back then..it was easy to get in. There was (still exists) this administrative building that always had an unlocked door. Inside..there was old office furniture...the wierdest thing is..that it looks as if people were still working there but the building has not been used for years. The lights are fully functional. The file cabinets maintained medical documentation of former patients diagnosed with polio and other diseases. It was all hand written and dated with old dates. The paper work still sits there. It looks as is he building was suddenly abondened. Then near the larger buildings...there were (they have been knocked down) doors that led to hallways. the doors usaully had a posted sign warning people to wear protective gear due to polio experimentation. The actual asylum was to the north of the property in a small bungalow type building. You could look into the barred windows and se the halways filled with doorwys with tiny tiny windows. It was sad. There is an actual little post office there that to this day is in business. ANd once in a while..there is a thrift store that opens on sundays on the property away from all the closed off portion of the property. The wierdest thing though is that there are some blue flashes of light that remind me of an old tv set...it is constantly on all night. The building does have working lights....but htey are very faulty. The middle of the poperty has a large 2 story Spanish style building that actually has employees...what its for.. I do not know..Haunted...could be...but it definitely used to be fun and spooky to go to..now it salmost impossible to explore due to patrol cops and the fact that lots of the buildings have been demolished.

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   
i have been to that place like 7 yrs ago...before it was all gated up...I went to Warren High School..that is how i knew aobut this place. That place has a bunch of wierd things i can not explain..it is now very closely observed by the police. Back then..it was easy to get in. There was (still exists) this administrative building that always had an unlocked door. Inside..there was old office furniture...the wierdest thing is..that it looks as if people were still working there even though the building has not been used for years. The lights are fully functional. The file cabinets maintained medical files of former patients diagnosed with polio and other diseases. It was all hand written and dated with old dates. The paper work still sits there. It looks as is he building was suddenly abondened. Then near the larger buildings...there were (they have been knocked down) doors that led to hallways. the doors usaully had a posted sign warning people to wear protective gear due to polio experimentation. The actual asylum was to the north of the property in a small bungalow type building. You could look into the barred windows and see the hallways filled with doorways that had tiny windows. It was sad. There is still an actual US post office there that to this day is in business. Once n a while..there is a thrift store that opens on sundays on the property away from all the closed off portion of the property. The wierdest thing though is that there are some blue flashes of light that remind me of an old tv set...it is constantly on all night. The building does have working lights....but they are very faulty. The middle of the property has a large 2 story Spanish style building that actually has employees...what its for.. I do not know.

I do not know what o think of the entie place....Haunted...could be...but it definitely used to be fun and spooky to go to..now it' s almost impossible to explore due to patrol cops and the fact that lots of the buildings have been demolished or boarded up completely.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   
i agree wit the person that said that there are color photos of inside and all..... because me and my friends when and she had a digital camera....and we took pics of inside and all. there were a few pics of used bullet shells on the floor in one room..... and there are a lot of homeless people that live there. another one of my friends told me that he found a way to go on the roof of sum storage building towards the back. in another one of her pics there was a pic of a window and when we saw them online , we found a guy but the thing was that he looked kind of blue. and there was only his top part of his body. and he was wearing some sort of sweater. and another day(this was in the day time) me and a few friends went again. and we were by a room that had a sign that said chemicals or sumthing like that. and we went in, we saw a refrigerator and in it were those containers of blood. and on the other side was a small bathroom. and on the walls there were hand prints of blood on the walls. and im not even joking wit that. when we were standing outside my friend said she saw a black tall shadow standing right by me.... and i heard someone screaming.... but im not sure on that one because i was the only one hearing it. but i could have sworn it sounded like this person was being i dont know like tortured. so after we started walking and we saw a cop car drive by and we started running. so then the cop stoped us and he said that the hospital was in fact haunted. and he said ppl were killed there... but thats the cop who said that so i dont know to much about that. but i mean in a few pics i saw... ive read that some of the flashes could be some sort of spirit. but from wat ive read it isnt a light or anything like that... and i have been on the street u were on. so i do knoe wat ur talking about. and right now they are doing some sort of construction on it. so i couldnt tell u about the lights. but those lights should be turned off. but yea i think ive seen a light on before. and the street lamps were working when we went. ok i thinks thats all for now..

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Great story and great pics, didnt see anything in the pics but your story (and other peoples) are amazing. I would love to visit that pale, but here in England all we have is haunted castles and fields.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 07:04 AM
link   
i have been to this place twice but never inside... cops patrol this place like no other. i have always gotten pulled over. i asked my mom about this place since she used to live in that area. she told me it was closed because of a cut in funding... and all the people were let out on the streets.

i just want to know if anyone knows the history of this place. why do they keep it up? also has anyone been inside the big house that is on the same lot. i heard the main doctor guy lived there. its completly boarded up. if anyone knows of any sites besides haunted sites please post them...

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 02:06 AM
link   
That sure is a scary story! I know of friends who went there, and my brother did the same just earlier tonight. But one question: (this is something a friend of mine who lives in Downey claimed was the gospel truth) why not just assume the city DIDN'T shut the electricity completely off.
In other words, why do you automatically state that the hospital's electricity was shut off just because the place has been officially shut down by the government. And contrary to what some people have told me, the hospital was not closed under suspicious conditions. Actually all state run mental hospitals were closed under the Reagan administration..
That's what accounts for the majority of those "crazy" homeless people (including a large number of veterans who WISH they had died out on the battlefield) you see out on the streets with nowhere to go. The sad thing is they HAVE no place to go, and that is scarier and more tragic than any ghost. Stay tuned to reality, people. Most of you are young people who probably couldn't imagine streets without homeless people, but there was a time when "hobos" were actually (erroneously) seen as free spirits rather than objects of pity. And it wasn't that long ago.Combine that with the re-emergence of harder drugs like smack and crack and hell crystal meth in the inner city. I'm not saying I wouldn't be scared myself, but chances are it's all a part of my brain triggering twangs of paranoia. And being scared is a natural reaction to the unknown. Point in case: unknown. You have three differnt people witness a scene you get three different answers. And I'd be scared of a nut, druggie or rapist/murderer just hanging around there.

DON'T ASSUME THINGS. Like that the city shut off the power. Why would they? And create a place for junkies and other criminals to hang out? Like everyone knows, the cops are constantly patrolling this place. I drive there all the time, and the fuzz are swarming it. Hey, remember the blood in the refrigerator and the bloody hand prints and bullet shells? Obviously there has been some criminal element inhabiting this place recently. The cops themselves have been trying to warn you of the kind of stuff that's gone down there. Maybe they won't give you specifics, but have you ever asked them? And what about the weekend wiccans (some of them schoolmates of yours) who have left behind eery symbols and ceremonial paraphanelia? How many times have you tripped over their stuff and assumed it was left by the Hollydale Witch. As for the alarm going off? Perhaps it was meant to keep you OUT rather than keep anyone IN? (It worked, you ran like the devil) When the cops look into a window: They want to be able to see inside. YES, there are street lamps. They're light is visible in some of your own photos (though the source ISN'T, I'll grant you that). Maybe your memory was too panicked or blurry. At least blurrier than your pictures which were taken in an obvious hurry. I am an amateur digital photographer, and I know that digital has a higher rate of bluriness than film (due to the slow reaction speed) and digital is TERRIBLE with dark shots. The sensors have way too much noise. Even with flash. Trust me, there WILL be ghosts. Also, most ghost experts would agree - ghosts don't emit the kind of light seen on the floor of the left hand side of that photo. It's too "un-eery" and definitely comes from an above incandescent source looking suspiciously like a street light. Yes, that is a tree on the right hand side, not a lamp, the lamp itself is not seen.

So the cops told you the place was haunted? They'd say anything to keep you away, wouldn't they? Although, personally, I believe some of them probably DO believe it is haunted . But, is a policeman's word law in matter of the paranormal? To conclude, the scariest things here have occured AFTER the place closed down, and the perpetrators have all been counted among the living.. unless of course, that's your blood on those walls. I swear take 50 people down there with some birthday cake, and don't expect anything, sing some hppy songs, paint the place pink - and notice how the ghosts "magically" disappear.
For further reading: read "Whispers" by Ronald K. Siegel, a doctor at UCLA. While it does not address the truth of ghosts (and I honestly haven't said there are no ghosts) it should explain alittle about the way our brains work and about the effects of everyday, common paranoia. Also, it has some pretty scary/freaky stories that are ALL TRUE. Makes you think twice.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Very inspiring thread indeed.

There is a facility of similar attraction here in Germany, not far from where I live-
Police patrols sporadically, but some old age pensioneers from the neighbourhood are being paid to watch out for trespassers.
This doesn't discourage me, only they let their dogs loose on the fenced property.

Anyhow I just googled for the Hollydale Institution, and decided to share the only halfway interesting result I got:

*other wacky discussion forum*

I also believe that there was another ATS thread which dealt at least marginally with this, or an equally creepy asylum- but I'm unable to dig it up.

Fun Fact: The Downey hospital was the main filming location for "Bubba Ho Tep" !

Quotation from *aint-it-cool-news* :

"Side note about Downey, CA- what is the deal with this town?
Every building in the area we shot in was boarded up- looked like "Escape from New York" without the piss and vomit.
The cops kept swinging by and watching the shooting- made no sense, what with the lack of donuts and all.
Oh, and there was the most magnificent tree in the middle of the area we shot- it's a pity it won't be in the film, anyone who was there can attest to the tremendous size and grandeur of this tree- its roots had roots.

Unfortunately, they'll probably tear it down with the rest of the decrepit old buildings."

[edit on 6-2-2005 by popular mechanics]

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Me and my friends take trips like those once a year( around Halloween) we do research on a haunted site close to where we live(TX) and get all our equipment together and go for it! We have seen some pretty wierd things out there!! This years trip will hopefully be to the the famously haunted W.Virginia penetentuary!!(If we raise the $$$) Really hoping to see some action!!!

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   
If anyone really wants a scare, I highly recommend a visit to Waverly Sanitarium in Kentucky. The sheer volume of negative energy there is enormous. The sordid, traumatic past history of this place is so enormous, I'll just post a link for you. I highly recommend you click on the links at the bottom of the page.

www.prairieghosts.com...

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 12:34 AM
link   

i live like four blocks away so i am always passing by the place and always wondered what it was, a friend told me about the place and became curious and stuff so i began digging on the internet welll didnt find much either but i thought i will go take a look for myself and i took these pics nothing really happend to me it was exciting though me and my mom were looking inside of the buildings and stuff its pretty creepy but theres lots and lots of police i have more pics if you guys want i will post them but for now i will just post these, ill try to take a pic at night cause you can see two lights that are turned on at night just to see if anything comes out.....

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 01:50 AM
link   
major bump

does anyone know any information on this place?

i'm a photographer and i really want to check this place out

anything would help!

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I need some directions or an address where i can get to this haunted asylum in Downey, i live in lakewood, california.

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Major bump obviously

If anyone wants the location to this place send me an e-mail

[email protected]

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I know this is a bump but yeah... I go, and yeah...

Read this if you are planning to go.

Hey,

I saw your post about Hollydale Mental Hospital. If you want to go there make sure that you have lots of flashlights and lots of friends. I recently went there around a week ago with around 12 people. How to get there is very confusing. It is right behind the courthouse, so to get there search "Downy Courthouse" and it is right behind that. Make sure to park somewhat far away and beware of cops.

This place is very serious. We go every friday night around midnight. There is endless places to go and look. There are around 6 huge buildings, along with 30 to 40 bedrooms where patients stayed. There is blood all around. Very scary and very haunted. The rooms with "BC" written on them are the haunted ones. Go in there, the spirits are welcome but make sure to be respectful. DO NOT TAKE ANYTHING!

Also:
Once you get in stick around but don't stay too long, the spirits will get restless and make sure you find your way out...

Places not to go:
The morgue:
(we recently went here and something came at us and we had to #ing run away. This something was a spirit, and it was coming for us.
The Habbit Hole:
There is arrows all around to "The Habbit Hole"
Don't go here, this is the most haunted hall in the place. We went there and I almost lost a good friend. If you do go in here, make sure you are in a line and don't touch anything.

Some of the spirits that reside here are very nice and welcome. Many were abused and beaten back in the day and want you to realize what they went through so some might be mean.

Don't worry, have fun, and be safe.

-Jon

Message me back

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Possible to reload the photos? seems they have been deleted off the photobucket servers.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join