It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We need a way to balance the flag system that brings trash to the front.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Imagine all the trolls that would anti-flag every single thing.

Also think about this... are you more likely to flag something you favor strongly, or anti-flag something you strongly disagree with? I think most would choose the latter.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by wayno

Yeah thats called tagging isnt it? I wonder if it could be implemented some forums let you tag content.

Good idea!

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
If only we could do this with votes in our democratic process.

An option to take a vote/flag back for a period of time?

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
One mans garbage is another mans treasure.

You can vote negatively for a thread by withholding your participation and flags.

I second that.

Not voting by not flagging or starring it is sharing your opinion.

If you post a negative comment it is only bumping that thread to the top of the heap.

If someone perceives a thread as "trash" they are only stirring the "compost heap" so to speak.

If you stir up a compost heap it only makes a chemical reaction which makes a "hot topic".

Even if it is someone's opinion of it being "rubbish".

And of course we as ATS members can always make better topics

As well make sure it keeps peoples limited attention.

The limit to how far your thread can go is only as far as the idea is shared multiplied by your input.

In other words make an excellent thread and people will contribute.

Seeing as ATS is the equivalent to an online community, a "commune", if you will everything is shared.

Personally, I read 1% to 2% of other ATS members threads, and that's it.

And I do not post on the thread if I think it is not worth my time.

As well as posting according to my sechedule and availibility to reply as demand in like kind.

Of course there is as well threads that are a train wreck and you cannot help but read it.

Just for the laughs.

Liken everyone within the confines of ATS to the thread system being on a chicken rotisserie.

It only spins around if it seems interesting and the "chicken" does not have to "taste good" either.

Those threads that die off are only getting killed by timing, supply and demand, and interest level.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I feel the same sometimes, but what you need to do is take the extra time and just browse each forum that interests you one by one. That way you are getting the full-scoop.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by theukbloke

There ARE more unnecessary threads being created towards the new member and them getting flags or banning them OR JUST THINKING BY THERE THOUGHTS, THAT WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT IS USE LESS or something..UN......BELIEVABLE !
pages of rubbish?
pages of rubbish?
pages of rubbish?

foreal dude?

edit on 14-11-2010 by Immortalgemini527 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I'm of the humble opinion that the number of threads that can be created by individuals should be limited. Maybe 3 a week with a maximum of one a day to start. It could increase as participation and experience accumulated.

It would cut down on the massive number of threads that are created on a whim and cause more people to think about the content of the thread they are starting.

Of course it wouldn't solve everything but I've seen a few members post multiple threads over and with not much more than a single line or comment and a "What do you think?"

The blind rush to be the first to create a thread on every news story that pops up is another great source of flag and star inducing hysteria. (Yeah dude, I heard it was arbor day too. Star and flag for you!)

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

You have made an excellent post outlining that we all have some responsibility in this. Unfortunately, human nature is such that the trash evokes an emotional reaction in us that we just have to express; whereas a really good post might just leave us in awe with nothing much to say except way to go, or simply a star.

There would never be something totally fair and accurate, but a negative flag and negative star system, while open to some abuse, would probably simply be a moderating system. We would no longer have threads with mega flags, but we would all understand that anything that resulted in a positive number must have the potential to be good. Should any thread end up with a high negative number, then I would be equally as intrigued to read it; because anything that gets that many people upset must have something noteworthy in it.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Immortalgemini527
reply to post by theukbloke

There ARE more unnecessary threads being created towards the new member and them getting flags or banning them OR JUST THINKING BY THERE THOUGHTS, THAT WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT IS USE LESS or something..UN......BELIEVABLE !
pages of rubbish?
pages of rubbish?
pages of rubbish?

foreal dude?

Sorry, i have no idea what you are trying to say? Could you re-word it please, then I maybe able to answer your question. cheers
edit on 16-11-2010 by theukbloke because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join