It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skyline Ad - can it be blocked?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Hi,

I tried the search function but nothing relevant came up.

Is there a way to block that Skyline advertisement? It opens this giant banner ad on my screen and I am unable to use the link bar below the ATS header. It is driving me insane. Every time I close it it pops up again.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by SerialLurker

I know what you mean.
Sorry I can't help cause it frustrates me also & chews god knows how much of the pathetic download limit I'm allowed each month.
Has ATS sold out to corporate interests?
Please don't give us that pathetic BS excuse of it helps pays the bills.

I've noticed that if your cursor even pass over the watch trailer button it activates, you don't even have to click a button. ATS has really sold out to corporations by having such an application on every page.

SHAME ATS SHAME
edit on 13-11-2010 by acrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Too much advertising on this website, always has been since 1997.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
If you can find out where that flash ad is originating from, you could get then get your firewall to block that specific advertising site.

You might be able to find it through the source code but it's probably a needle in a haystack because the code is most likely dynamically generated.

Alternatively, you can use Wireshark to sniff/capture the data packets, look at HTTP activity which is color coded in green text, to find the culprit ad site and specific url.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I was just searching for this.... I'm fed up with it forcing me to watch whatever rubbish it's advertising whenever I go to click RECENT POSTS.....

I can ignore the side banners mostly but that header one really irks me...

The other day I near pooped myself... sitting alone in the office and then suddenly from behind my desk the LOUD sound of a man breathing!

I actually went to look to see if one of the children had set a toy up or something. It was only when I refreshed the page on here that I realised it was some advert in the header for a new film out and where I had been playing Korn uber loud and not turned my speakers down the 'breathing' was as if from behind my desk!

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Yeah it is annoying..I've watched the trailer and will probably see the movie so the add has done its part..
Its a shame its not set so once its viewed in its entirety it doesn't come back...
BTW a good trick is to save Recent Posts to favourites if it bothers you that much

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Ad sucks.
I will be first in line NOT TO WATCH it.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
haha, I have sub woofer like speakers, and I was playing music really loud earlier and forgot to turn them down, and that ad gave me a heart attack!!!

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I have no idea what you are talking about because I have not seen a Skyline ad.

I am using google chrome with adthwart & flashblock so perhaps that is blocking the ad.
Now that I think about it, I just recently switched to chrome about a month ago with the above mentioned extensions and I have not seen any ads at all here on ATS.
edit on 11/13/2010 by WhatTheory because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Hmm, thanks for the replies all.

Glad I'm not the only one going loony from this ad!!

I will look at getting an adblocker addon for my browser.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Nevermind
edit on 14-11-2010 by LazyGuy because: Change of Mind

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Funny thing, in the T and C of joining this site, it states that using ad blockers is against the rules. I overlooked that when I signed up, and wondered why I got a comment mentioning it removed, and points off for warning. It took me a while of rereading it to figure out why I was penalized.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Are you serious? How can they tell you are using one? Was it browser based or standalone?

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   

I have no idea if they can tell lol. I just got my comment that mentioned one deleted, and warned, trying to give people a heads up.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Mozilla Firefox & Adblock Plus.

Second line.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

BTW a good trick is to save Recent Posts to favourites if it bothers you that much

Funny you should say that, I have it underneath my address bar as a quicklink
But still, I felt like complaining as I find the ad very annoying and intrusive on my ATS browsing experience

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
thats what you guys get for being a good citizen paying for games and browsing without adblock,if you behaved like this to girls,you would never get a date -_-

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Oh! Well, thanks for the warning in any case
Hmm.. Might go reread the T&C.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
you can block most online junk from loading or accessing your computer, both ways, including your browser, without installing any software or plugins. learn how to maintain your system's "hosts" file.

here's some more info on it.

www.mvps.org...

i use this method and not only it gets rid of a lot of stuff i don't want to see, but it also speeds up your browsing experience.

the only problem i had with it was loading video from some sites, not all though.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Found the relevant part in the T&C -

20b) Ad Blockers: As the Websites are provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the Websites.

Technically I guess you can't use an ad-blocker, but if you were to use a flash blocker to prevent YouTube videos loading due to download wastage, is that still an infringement because they also prevent certain ads from loading until the user choses to load it by clicking?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join