It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATDMT Cookie - Tracking You!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Ok, Time for a rant here. I've been trying to get this God damn cookie blocked for God knows how long, but it persists no matter. I use Firefox and have ALL cookies blocked, but this sucker seems to come back time and time again.

This cookie is linked to Microsoft - big surprise, eh? When you go to the atdmt website, it redirects you to this:

www.atlassolutions.com...

And what do we see at the the bottom of the page? Microsoft Advertising!!

So.... Microsoft, how the hell does your cookie come onto my PC when Firefox blocks all? I don't go to any site that requires cookies - it's all BS! My internet banking doesn't require it! (Neither does ATS)

And Firefox, how the Freak is Microsoft's atdmt cookie able to pass your settings and still harbor on my PC?!

Every time Norton does a scan, it picks it up, removes it, and then we go through the whole damn process AGAIN!

So my questions to my fellow ATS members is this:

How many of you have anti virus programs that pick this atdmt cookie up?
How many of you are even aware of it?
What can be done to stop this intrusion of a "cookie" to follow us?

I'm at the end of my tether with this BS cookie! Any help will be MOST APPRECIATED!

Thanks in advance ATS Members!
TK
edit on 12-11-2010 by TortoiseKweek because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TortoiseKweek

That cookie comes from the ats website. You have to have some kind of cookies enabled to login into this site.

It is a 3rd party cookie so you can simply tell your browser to block all 3rd party cookies without exception.

Edit: In firefox you have to uncheck the 3rd party cookie option. If you use chrome then you click it to block it. IE, who knows I don;t use it.
edit on 12-11-2010 by Rhadamanthus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
As the poster above said that cookie comes from ATS

Theres another thread about it here

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Rhadamanthus

Thanks for enlightening us Rhadamanthus,,,,by the way any word on the green object you found?

Cheers

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildmanimal

No word. I am still waiting for the goons to reply. Maybe Monday I will start with some phone calls. To me the situation is ridiculous.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rhadamanthus

That cookie comes from the ats website. You have to have some kind of cookies enabled to login into this site.

It is a 3rd party cookie so you can simply tell your browser to block all 3rd party cookies without exception.

ATS is an "allowed" website under my FF settings. I have everything else blocked, including 3rd party cookies. Hell, I don't even watch Youtube vid's anymore (not on my pc, but on my laptop), because if I try load them in FF - the YT video says "An error has occurred"

I'm tired of this. WHY do websites REQUIRE the ability to track us, unless they have something to gain? Let's not forget, Google owns YT. And why would we need cookies "enabled" to watch videos? (It was never that way!) So they can recommend similar videos? They can do that with the info they have on servers and users video preferences. NO Need to have a cookie on your pc for that!

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Additionally, since you are using firefox, you can also download the "betterprivacy" add-on and check the preferences to delete "flash cookies" or LSO's on exit. This will delete the LSO's that live on your computer that are not filtered by the firefox default. Also, go to Adobe and check your Flash settings...

Info. if interested

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rhadamanthus

That cookie comes from the ats website. You have to have some kind of cookies enabled to login into this site

Let me get this straight, YOU are telling me that ATS allows the atdmt cookie to track us! Please provide proof of this.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TortoiseKweek
ATS is an "allowed" website under my FF settings. I have everything else blocked, including 3rd party cookies.

Since you have allowed ATS you are allowing the 3rd party cookie because it comes from a trusted source, ATS according to your settings. ATS could load you up with a million cookies if they wanted to because you have allowed them to do it. Remove ATS from trusted and block 3rd party cookies.

Block all cookies and make them ask permission.

abovetopsecret.com
ads.abovetopsecret.com
www.abovetopsecret.com

are the only cookies that ats puts out if you block all 3rd party cookies.

Edit: 18 cookies total when you actually look at the tracking. They use some for ads and I think the most are for php functions and logging in, settings etc. Typical cookie settings from ATS, nothing crazy going on.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Delete all your cookies.
Close your browser, make sure it opens a blank page as default.
Login to ATS
Check cookies
Rinse and repeat.

Edit: That is all I did to find the source before I posted. I did not want to look like a total tool so I did my homework first.

If it makes you feel better browse to the cookie folders on your pc, open them with wordpad, notepad etc and just edit them. you can always add stuff to break them.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
Additionally, since you are using firefox, you can also download the "betterprivacy" add-on and check the preferences to delete "flash cookies" or LSO's on exit. This will delete the LSO's that live on your computer that are not filtered by the firefox default. Also, go to Adobe and check your Flash settings...

Info. if interested

I'm not sure what LSO is? Please explain. BTW - Why would this affect "flash" sights? This thing comes up all the time. I just want to rid my pc of this thing. I'm hoping someone here on ATS can help me. Frustration is NOT the word. (I can't express my real feelings with words on ATS, but they all start with the F-Bomb!)

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Things for flash is a total different story. You can change the settings in flash to not allow any storage of any data on your pc. Guess what? By default they store some stuff on your PC. 100kb to be exact. That does not sound like a lot but for what it is doing it is quite comprehensive.

Edit: Open Firefox and type this in the address bar:

About:Config
Press Enter and have a look at what your browser is really doing.

We have no privacy on the internet.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   

What can be done to stop this intrusion of a "cookie" to follow us?

It's just a cookie, and cookies don't "follow" you.

Cookies are not computer viruses

The Atlas cookie is nothing more than that a small text file on your computer (as are all cookies) with a unique non-desrcript identifier that is typically a combination of letters and numbers. Those letters and numbers identify your computer, and can only be read by the site that wrote it: atdmt.com.

The Atlas privacy policy specifies what they do with the data associated with your non-identifying cookie, and also that they're part of the Network Advertising Initiative -- an opt-in initiative of ad networks that make several promises about protecting consumer privacy. We only use ad networks that are part of the NAI program, as are we.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
That is great as well. I wish all websites practiced this.
edit on 2010/11/12 by GradyPhilpott because: Removed quote of post directly above.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Thank You for the help, but ATS is an allowed site, AND FF doesn't accept any third party cookies. Now.... If ATS is using atdmt, and not letting us know, then I'll have to make a new thread.....

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
with all due respect, i don't worry about cookies...i don't put anything on this (my computer) that could not be shared publicly. i worked in the computer field as a technician for 10 years, and i know that anything that is entered on your computer CAN be read by someone from the outside. backdoors are built into all programs. although good hacks can set up temporary walls, the high degree of talent along with massive funding employed by government and businesses can and do break these down. combine that with powerful automated decryption apps running at gigabit speeds, 24/7, makes the days of "the lone wolf " a relic of earlier times.
edit on 12-11-2010 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
nvm
edit on 12-11-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Thank You for the help, but ATS is an allowed site, AND FF doesn't accept any third party cookies. Now.... If ATS is using atdmt, and not letting us know, then I'll have to make a new thread.....

Dude, there's already threads on it, as pointed out earlier. The cookie is from ATS!!!!

Proof:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Your browser will accept the cookie since it is being referred by one of the ATS cookies. So the trusted cookies you are accepting are allowing their buddies to tag along for the ride because according to your browser settings it is coming from a trusted source which in this case is ATS. It is nothing more then an advertising bot. Ever notice the ads are specific to your location? Change your dns servers and such, spoof your ip and it will change it to that.

IE: I could build a proxy machine and use dns forwarding etc and make them whatever I want. those would be the same exact ads but they would say HEY! Find computers for better prices in "abc" instead of "xyz". Plus this is probably one of the ways ATS funds the sites. I am sure everytime you click on one of those ads they might get a small incentive because they drove traffic to a certain site. it pays the bills and helps keeps ATS running more then likely. No conspiracy here at all about this IMO.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
download these firefox addons-

trackmenot
Beeftaco (targeted advertising cookie opt out)
no-script
adblock plus
WOT (web of trust)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join