It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Artist Lets Internet Users Vote on His Fate: LIVE or DIE

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
The ultimate test - the people vote innocent, you live - the people vote guilty, you die - electrocution by the hands of the people. The catch, it's not anonymous. The quote: "If you want to kill someone, at least introduce yourself."

Well, he does have a point there...

Oleg Mavromatti, a radical performance artist wanted by Russian authorities, is submitting both his case and his very life to the judgment of Internet voters.

The voting is part of a very interactive performance titled "Ally/Enemy." And if the majority of participants find him guilty, he says an electric shock will be administered to stop his heart.

The performance began Sunday and is set to end -- perhaps very dramatically -- on Saturday. Each day, Mavromatti straps himself into a homemade electric chair for four hours while users decide whether he should live or die. Wires from a makeshift generator are taped to his temple.

This all seems to stem from a "political statement" during a performance in year 2000 called Do Not Believe Your Eyes (youtube video). Mavromatti was charged under Article 282 of the Russian Criminal Code: "inciting ethnic, racial or religious hostility."

He has been on the run, since then... Living in New York and now Sofia Bulgaria. Russia is seeking extradition.

What is his goal? Why would he put his life in the hands of the people via the 'net?
A Sociology experiment...

"The goal of the performance is not to demand a passport, a visa, special consideration, pity, refuge, etc.," the artist explained on his blog. "This project is pure sociology, if somewhat radical sociology. What matters to me is only to conduct a survey, as in an ordinary sociological experiment."

On Saturday, we will know whether they have decided to pardon Mavromatti or to trigger his public execution.

AO L article

The Artist's WebSite - vote here

Want to participate? It is what he wants, after all.
Twisted...

edit on 12-11-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
The dude is guilty. If he was planning on possibly dying, why would he have GOOGLE ADS running on his site?

The guy isn't going to kill himself, it's all a stunt to generate traffic to his site so he can make money on Google Ads.

Oh, and I voted guilty.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
My nam is Jose Jimenez!

ZAP!

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

If this guy was serious, he must be sweating a little right about now.

I can't say that this is the smartest thing in the world to do as we all know how the innerwebs work.

But just in case this is real, I would like those that vote guilty to think a moment as if he does indeed off himself, are you stable enough mentally to face the guilt you might feel?

A bad idea all around in my opinion.

My name is topo gigo........

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

Yes, assuming this is real it seems that each day the electro-shock intensifies by one second. So, it's not "do I flip the switch on myself" but is already made per a tally of votes that day. In real sense, a "yes" vote is actively partaking in shocking and potentially killing the man. Each voter will have to reconcile within him/herself that they are personally "hitting the switch" hence the "Sociological" aspect to the "experiment"...

The duration of the shock will increase by one second each day. As Mavromatti explains in his blog, one second is enough to burn skin. Three seconds can leave a severe burn. Five seconds can cause a more severe burn and knock the victim unconscious. A shock of six or seven seconds can be fatal.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
after looking at the site, ...

I must agree, .. it is a publicity stunt. To get more traffic, and add you to his mailing list.

The experiement has been running all week right ?? has he recieved any shocks yet ??

Not that I want him to die, ... I just dont think its on the up and up.

..... oh, and he doesnt receive a shock per vote, .... its a shock per day, depending on how the voting went. So far I dont think he's received any.
edit on 12-11-2010 by IntastellaBurst because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   

from your link:

Is this art? This is art, because Mavromatti is an artist and he calls this art.

I am offended by this statement a bit as I do not consider this art in any form. Even though he is free to call it what he wants, and art is very subjective, the more I dwell on this, the sicker it seems..

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

..... oh, and he doesnt receive a shock per vote, .... its a shock per day, depending on how the voting went. So far I dont think he's received any.

Apparently, only "motivated" votes count - as well - not sure what that means, unless he's talking about the reason the voting requires a pymt and cannot be anonymous. So, great Sociological experiment - or marketing agenda - or both? and what if he's serious?

edit on 12-11-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Hang him.

Shoot him.

Boil him in oil.

Oh wait, that is what we say at political rallies, right?

Or was that just Bell Califonia and the City Council meeting?

Nevermind.

So, seeking public support, and he is an outlaw?

Reminds me of a few individuals in history.

It could work or it could move more legislation against using the Internet for certain purposes.

A Tale of Two Kitties

Also sounds like a bad episode of the Looney Tunes and as if he's a few sandwiches short of a picnic.
edit on 11/12/10 by SpartanKingLeonidas because: Adding Depth and Insight Into the Post.

top topics

join