It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Punks and jaywalking

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Look, I'm all for just crossing a street when it's convenient, and there's a break in traffic...but lately, at least in my area, it seems to be some kind of "gangsta" thing where punks just like crossing the road, and just expect the cars to stop for them, even when not using a crosswalk, crossing against the light, etc.

Well, last night, I watched in horror as it happened in the next couple lanes. 4 punks were walking across the road, and me and another car are coming down the street (with a green light). I was thinking he'd stop, but quickly saw that he didn't, and BLAM, the car hit two of the 4.... One of them flipped up and went through the windshield. He wasn't moving.

I pulled over, dialed 911, and got ambulances on the way (I told dispatch they'd need more than one), then went over to wait for the police and give a statement.

At least that's 4 (or maybe 3, as they covered up the guy who went in the windshield) that won't be trying this stupid trick again. I just wish the news was there, to maybe shed some light on this stupid attitude some have about just walking across a heavy traffic street without a care.

While I do hope all end up alright, I can't help but be infuriated by the stupidity of these guys. (and imagine what that driver is facing...wasn't his fault though, but the mental ramifications....yikes).

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
When I jay walk I look both ways and then if traffic is stopped I hurry up and cross. Some people are just arrogant and act like nothing can hurt them.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
people dont care for rules anymore..even the simplest rules are not possible...

they all feel like they alone on the world...i see that also alld ay in germany..

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

kids these days. whatever happened to "look both ways before you cross.....or you die"? this generation are missing a few crayons from the box.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

That's a terrible thing to witness. I've witnessed something similar, and you just feel helpless watching it happen. Kind of shakes you up a bit.... well it did me anyway. I agree if it was covered by the news, it may make some of the 'smarter' punks think...... I think.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

People do everything for a thrill these days without any consideration what might happen, and what they do emotionally with for e.g the guy who hit those two guys.

They do everything for there own needs.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I see that type of behavior on a daily basis where I live. It's like these kids have a power trip or something, they make a car stop because THEY are in the road. Not only do they walk across the road at inopportune times but they also take their time walking yelling at cars. Cars will often honk at them and than the kids will yell profanities and throw up hand gestures. I haven't seen anyone get hit by a car yet but I can feel it coming soon. These kids are idiots.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

On a street with heavy traffic, I tend to walk when designated. If they have signs saying yield to pedestrians, well then I try give driver opportunity to slow or stop for me, but if cars keep coming I'll walk out pointing at them and pointing to the sign. Sometimes its the driver being a richard, but the pedestrian shouldnt be cocky as in my example. we should all respect the roads and be courteous.

sorry you had this endeavor

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I receintly moved to the Phoenix area from a rural one in Ca. The locals here walk right in front of moving cars all the time. Myself included! Just this week I came within inches of taking out a tard when he without looking walked across the street in the middle of a block. Granted the speed limit was only 35 but it still takes time to bring a chey truck loaded with materials for a job to complete stop. My daughter also has this happen all the time too. The blantent disreguard of the new generation of any authority is disgusting. The idea is one I don't understand. Sorry if this sounds like a rant but the thought of running over anything is not a good one. Even a small animal makes most people quiver. My thoughts go to the driver of that car. It is something that should not have happened.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
TO Gazrok my thoughts to you also. Noone should have to watch that happen.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
It's just what happens in the city nearby. During my days of working downtown and going out to grab lunch, I would often be waiting for the crosswalk light with a variety of folks. These jaywalkers were people of all ages and colors and would be very vocal as they crossed the street anywhere and anytime. "What are you going to do? Hit me?" "You're going to slow your @#*! car down and wait your arse for me" And much more colorful language than I'm willing to share.

What I saw and heard was hopeless people. People that feel that they have little control over their life. So in this instance of crossing the street, they are going to have the control to make people slow down or stop and wait. They will actually slow down more and look directly at the driver if they know that the driver is upset. Just wanting control even only for a few minutes.
Sad really....

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by sheeplemama_awakening

Yep, I work downtown, and I see it all the time...but this wasn't even downtown.

Granted the speed limit was only 35

We were only going about 35-40 tops...and that guy is still most likely dead.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
The irony of it is that now more than ever, people seem to be inattentive drivers. They phone and text while changing lanes!

Also, I have seen angry motorists throw sodas and other car trash at the pedestrians. Which is way more dangerous than it looks. A can of soda going 35 miles an hour will break your bones or give you a concussion.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

In my city, and those in the vicinity, this has been going on for the last decade or so, each year getting a bit worse. Today, the punks walk in the street instead of the sidewalk, they cross at any place they choose, and now they even cross the street without looking at all! It's one thing to knowingly force a car to slow, it's a whole new ball game when you step into the street and purposely don't look at the traffic at all.

I always fantasized of running these punks over, but after your story it made me really consider it in detail. I don't want that on my hands, so I'll just stick to my honking and shouting. I hope this is not the kind of event that will haunt you. Thanks for sharing this story and giving me a chance to consider the consequences of my fantasy revenge.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

That's the worst part...and I hate to admit it, but some small part of me WANTED it to happen, seeing them cross like that...because of such disregard, but that all evaporated real quick as I was dialing 911 to get the guys some help....

The reality of it really makes you consider the very real consequences. I feel so bad for that driver too, having to live with that....(and hope he too is alright)...

I hope this is not the kind of event that will haunt you.

Me too, but I still have to go that way each day...it's about the only through street going that way, on my way home from work, and I think about it each time I pass the spot. Kind of a daily reminder to always be alert, and realize the danger a fast moving car represents.

edit on 18-11-2010 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Just was reading this today and remembered this thread

www.abc24.com...

Memphis Among Most Dangerous Cities for Pedestrians

MEMPHIS, TN - A recent study ranks Memphis among the most dangerous cities in American for pedestrians.

Data collected by Transportation for America between 2000 and 2009 shows 806 pedestrians were killed in Tennessee, 266 of those people died in Memphis. That number makes it the most dangerous for pedestrians in Tennessee, and the 7th most dangerous overall.

The 10 most dangerous pedestrian cities, according to the report, are:
Orlando-Kissimmee, FL
Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL
Jacksonville, FL
Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL
Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA
Las Vegas-Paradise, NV
Memphis, TN-MS-AR
Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX
Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX
According to Transportation for America, "when combined with unsafe street and road design, vehicle speed presents a deadly threat to pedestrians." Nearly 60% of the fatalities included in the study happened on roads with a speed limit of 40 MPH or faster.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Rules are made to be broken!!!!!

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL

That's me.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
This happens regularly in Dallas. I never slow down, I never change lanes; I stay the course and I figure that if I hit them, then it's their fault for jaywalking and intentionally impeding the flow of traffic. You can always tell the punks too, as they stare you down as you approach them...acting like they are bullet proof (or collision proof). Needless to say, they always get a fire under their feet when they see no sign of me trying to avoid them.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Here theyll walk out in front of you real slow and eyeball you.. some yell at the cars. Its as if they are daring you to hit them. Makes you wonder... but if they saw someone who wasnt paying attention they couldnt even run out of the way of the car.Theyre pants are hanging off of them and they have to walk stupid to just keep them from falling down or walk around grabbing their pants at the crotch like they are afraid someone will steal their penis..

<<   2 >>

join