It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geophysics - Discussion & Research

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Due to recent discussions in the Quake Watch 2010 and Volcano Watch 2010 threads, it has been deemed necessary to stop infiltrating those threads and start one specifically to discuss Earth processes.

It is hoped that this thread will be used to discuss and share research and ideas about tectonics, magmas, volcanism and where applicable, the hydrological and atmospheric systems. It will be a thread where people can ask questions and hopefull find answers. There has been much activity happening around the globe lately and many people may be interested in the history of an area or what contributing factors or flow on effects of activity may be.

The story so far......(from other threads)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by zenius

Very good idea, most of my geology knowledge comes from playing Dwarf Fortress...

Further to your guidelines, will this thread touch on ideas such as Hollow-earth/Inflatable-earth theories, or just stick to facts?

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Page 241 of the Quake Watch Thread I was curious to know why the direction of the plate movement on Google Earth didn't seem to make much sense.

Puterman joined in the discussion :

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by zenius

Yes basically there are many many places that seem to conflict with both theories, hence my need to get my head round it. As you say - it bugs me!

If you look at pure expanding earth then there is no plate movement and no subduction and the arrows are meaningless. If however you consider that the deep earthquakes, and the volcanoes, for the most part occur in what are deemed to be subduction zones by plate tectonics, then there must be an element of truth in that theory, yet the arrows seem in contention.

I am pretty sure than there is a middle road. I just need to find it.

and it seems we both have issues with accepting the Plate Tectonics theory.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
One current theory floating around is that all the increased geologic activity is attributed to the coming galactic alignment of 2012 where the earth, sun, and center of the milky way will all be in line. Some speculate that is would cause both a greater magnetic and gravitational pull. Since many things on our planet are at source controlled by these forces it is indeed an intriguing theory if it is potentially true. What do you think?

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Muzzy joined the discussion:

Originally posted by muzzy
reply to post by PuterMan

I think that Dynamic Earth arrow in the SE corner is going the wrong way on the Australian Plate, although the one next to it on the Pacific Plate is correct. It should be butting into Fiordland there, not pulling away. There has been a lot of research into this area and last year during the 7.6 quake at Dusky Sound Fiordland moved a few inches West according to the GPS data. Its quite complicated here in NZ though, because at one end of the country the PP is going under the AP (up north) and at the other end its going over the AP. The pivot point is Kaikoura to Jackson Bay ie The Alpine Fault, where it slips SW to NE.

The area above Australia is likely just as complicated.

edit on 8-11-2010 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

as did westcoast:

Originally posted by westcoast

So the way I see it,
is that if you believe in expanding earth, than it would have to be both.

What IF: Expanding earth....there is going to be 'give' in some areas, while others 'stick'. (I know, extremely scientific terms here) If this were true of the plate Austrailia sits on, than you would have expansion, or pushing away of plates in one area while subduction oposite. Also, what if these 'sticking' points are where deep tears or ruptures occur, due to the incredible pressure/force building up from 'whithin', causing the basalt floods? Remember all the deep quakes we just had this summer?

Then I found an article that introduces Surge Tectonics into the argument here which pretty much said that the other two theories had lots of flaws - including the use of magnetics of fault lines as indicators and lack of evidence to back up the theories.

edit on 11-11-2010 by zenius because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Then we got onto atmospheric influences and how much they could affect seismic activity.
Puterman gave us the figures:

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by zenius

FINAL ANSWER: 1 cubic foot of air at standard temperature and pressure assuming average composition weighs approximately 0.0807 lbs.

Source

This is something that I pointed out somewhere on the Yellowstone thread - you will never find it now - that the air above the land has and effect.

Then over in the Volcano Watch thread I posted an article which simplifies the above article: Sunken continents vs continental drift
and finally an article which links our atmosphere with tectonics: www.geostreamconsulting.com...

And so the story continues........
edit on 11-11-2010 by zenius because: fix quote

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by mysticguitar

Yes it's definitely an intriging theory. I don't think a lot of research has gone into it that is available to the public. There are a lot of questionable web sites which state such things and earthquakes have coincidentally(?) during planetary alignments: www.uvs-model.com...&%20Vocano%20Eruption.htm

When you consider how much influence our moon has on tides it is fair to question the effects of the solar system in general.
There have been discussions in the other threads supporting the idea that solar activity increases seismic activity also.
When I get a chance I will see if I can find any more research on the topic.

Thanks for joining in!

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by myster0

I haven't heard of Dwarf Fortress, but some knowledge is better than no knowledge and you can always build on it.

If you want to discuss Hollow/Inflatable Earth theories that's fine. I personally don't believe either are possible but if you would like to present some research and discussion you are most welcome.

Thanks for joining in!

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by zenius

I was wondering if there could be a link between the slip/grip release in Christchurch NZ, and the thermal activity in Merapi; as though energy/pressure may be transferring through the Australian plate, into indonesia?

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by zenius

good show for starting the topic, I'm still trying to understand the gist of the smoot paper.
edit on 12-11-2010 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by zenius

Thanks for starting this. Definitely going to have another read up over the weekend and get cracking as I think this is fascinating. Do you see this linking to the Electric Universe theories?

See
www.abovetopsecret.com...
and in particular

I believe it has a great relevance to the discussions, not least because I cannot fathom the idea that the that the earth has a core of iron, yet has weak magnetic field. Those two things just do not go together in my humble opinion. If the earth's core is iron, then there is no way you can get magnetic reversals at the apparent speed that they happen, magnets just don't work like that - but electricity/plasm does.

@myster0

Further to your guidelines, will this thread touch on ideas such as Hollow-earth/Inflatable-earth theories, or just stick to facts?

Whilst I have been very interested in the expanding earth theories (forget hollow earth - non starter) I do believe that this surge tectonics may deal that one a blow. Time will tell and after all that is the purpose of the thread.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Hi Muzzy, great to have you on board!
The Smoot article is really hard to grasp. I have read it 4 times and still don't get the full gist of it! The Sunken Continents article mentioned above is an easier read but I will still read it again.

It's such a complex issue that there is surely no one theory that will make sense.

Looking forward to your input.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Hey Puterman, I wouldn't have started it without your support and all your input from the other threads. You keep me motivated to search for answers. Thanks for your encouragement.

Nah, I don't get how the Earth can have an iron core either. I agree with you there. I haven't looked into the Electric Universe theory, but thanks for giving me another tangent to go off on. I think I better learn speed reading and get some glasses...this is gonna be quite a journey.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Creation of earthquakes and severe weather is a reality now the elites are using ultra low frequency electromagnetic waves to disrupt the natural flow of magnetic lines around the earth and create whatever environment they want and yes they can also create a pole shift.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by vinay86

I would like to know what proof you have of this claim? If you can back that up I'd love to hear it. Otherwise this is a geological discussion about scientific fact and theory, not speculation.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by myster0

More regarding hollow earth theory: I was unaware until now that Edmund Halley of Halley's Comet fame was responsible for starting it all. Here is an article you may find interesting about the history of the theory: www.facstaff.bucknell.edu...

Although I still don't believe the planet is hollow, I feel more enlightened after reading it. So thank you for encouraging me to look at it.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by myster0

I personally believe everything is linked one way or another, but Puterman, Muzzy or Anmarie would probably have a better idea on this. They are our resident experts so hopefully they will give some input.

Remember that both these areas lie on the Pacific rim of fire and the fault lines are connected as you can see if you look at google earth or similar.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by vinay86

LF EMs occurs naturally in the crust: article abstract and rocks can produce electrical currents.

Natural geophysical conditions in the ionosphere or between the crust and ionosphere also play a part: read this

There are natural and man made ELFs and VLF's in existence and HAARP is believed to be one that interacts with the ionosphere, but I am yet to find anything concrete to justify the claims. I can see how the HAARP program could influence such things but there is possible more involved in earthquake production than that alone. I look forward to your contributions on the matter.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Puterman, have you seen this: Speed gun to measure Earths insides...

Researchers at the University of Bristol have reveal in the journal Nature that they have developed a seismological 'speed gun' for the inside of Earth. Using this technique they will be able to measure the way Earth's deep interior slowly moves around. This mantle motion is what controls the location of our continents and oceans, and where the tectonic plates collide to shake the surface we live on.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Predicting volcano eruptions?? Sept. 2010.

he Magma -- hot molten rock -- was injected along the dyke between depths of 2 and 9 km, and altered the tension of the earth. The team was able to watch the 12 smaller dykes that subsequently took place in the same region over a four year period. By monitoring levels of tension in the ground near where each dyke was intruded they found that subsequent eruptions were more likely in places where the tension increases.

www.sciencedaily.com...

and

Rainfall can trigger earthquakes?? Oct. 2010

The Hydroseismicity hypothesis suggests variations in rainfall affect pore-fluid pressure at depth and can trigger earthquakes in areas already under stress and near failure. This report cites documentation of metrological events -- rainfall, stream flow, hurricanes -- and observed seismic activity by more than 20 research teams across five continents, providing thorough testing and support of the Hydroseismicity hypothesis.

www.sciencedaily.com...

I've put the dates of the articles in because I think it's important to know how recent or potentially obsolete the info may be.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join