It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

dead pixel on new monitor - the

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
i - do you see the dot on the i? of course you do... and it is only ONE pixel. Imagine the dot being red and on a black background.

I have a 23 inch ASUS monitor that I bought from newegg, and it has ONE stuck pixel on red. I can't notice it on white, but on darker colored back grounds it sticks out like a sore thumb. If you want to see exactly what it looks like, then load up MSPAINT and make the background black, then pick the red color and just click one time on the background with the pencil tool. Add a slight blooming effect for the light that seeps into the surrounding pixels a bit.

This is what I wrote to newegg:

I recently purchased an Asus VH235T-P monitor and it has a red pixel that bleeds through to other pixels (maybe it's actually a block of 4 red pixels)... I can't tell. Anyway, it's absolutely horrible to look at and ruins movies and anything with a dark colored background. It goes away sometimes, but constantly comes back. I am greatly displeased at the state of the monitor and would like to do an exchange. Can you please advice me on the process that I should go through to do this? Thank you for your time.

So they respond that an RMA has been issued, and I have a shipping label ready to print. Under the newegg comment section, it says:

monitor has a red pixel that bleeds through to other pixels

It also says this for the RMA details:

ASUS VH235T-P Black 23" 5ms Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD Monitor Built-in Speaders
Qty:1

RMA Type: Replacement
Reason: Not specified

Is there anything odd about this? Jesus, it doesn't really BLEED, I was just using that as an analogy. Do they think it's leaking liquid crystal? I thought it may have been 4 pixels when I was writing that, but it appears that it is really one that glares into the pixels around it.

Then the reason is NOT SPECIFIED????

Anyway, it goes away if I rub the screen with a cloth, and then comes back maybe an hour later when i have to rub it again. I was contemplating just keeping it and hoping it goes away permanently, but this rubbing could inadvertently damage other areas of the screen.

Please provide input for my brain to form an idea based on multiple perspectives.
edit on 11-11-2010 by RestingInPieces because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
hmmm...could your problem be that your computer has decided to partake in the art of Bindi...is the dot closer to the top of the screen and in the middle? sorry...first thing I thought of

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
dont question it, wrap it up,.send it back. be thankful new egg honour returns!!

usually LCD's dont get returned before you get 6-10 dead pixels!!

edit on 11-11-2010 by okamitengu because: wtf? thankful gets edited??? oh wait no, i swore and didnt even realise (: FIXED!

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by RestingInPieces

Wow. I work for a company where I order allot from newegg.com Just box it up and send it back.
Out of curiosity what monitor did you order?

^- Nevermind.. I re-read the thread and got the make and model.
edit on 11/11/2010 by madmangunradio because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Wait, wait... somebody please explain to me how he/she can rub the screen and this red pixel quits being red for a while, then reappears??? What up?

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Have a sony lcd monitor from back in like 03' and that came with 1 green burnt out pixel in the lower corner. Can be very annoying at times, since its in the corner, can also be ignored.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by RestingInPieces

Your really lucky that they are letting you send it back, manufacturers usually have a "stuck pixel" allowance in their warranties, that means you can't send it back unless it's effecting a certain percentage of the screen.

Just count yourself lucky and move on!

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Here's a technique that usually works on stuck pixels - but you should not try it.

IF appropriate pressure is applied directly to the pixel AND a gentle but firm "erasing" action is used - most of the time, the stuck pixel will unstick. You have to rub harder than you may initially think, and keep rubbing for a moment or two after it vanishes. Some are harder to rub out than others.
You have to make sure you're getting the stuck pixel ONLY, of course this is impossible because they are so small, but you have to try as if it is possible.

Materials to do the rubbing with - ball point pen tip, toothpick, edge of fingernail

A piece of paper should be between the dead pixel (and the ball of the pen) if you use the pen

If you press too hard, you will crack the screen. Not hard enough and it won't work. Other damage may occur to the surface of your LCD from applying this treatment.

I do not recommend that you do this. Keep that thought in mind.

I've never damaged a screen with this process, and I've only seen one instance out of about 30 where it didn't work.

You should probably ignore this advice, but it does work more often than not.
edit on 11-11-2010 by sykickvision because: because I left words out - made no sense

new topics

top topics

join