It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: 17 Straight Days of Rain, Climate Change Report 4

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 06:20 AM
link   
It looks like for now this extreme weather event in Texas is about to come to an end, most of these now flooded areas should see a break and much dryer weather by Friday of this week.

Point made?

Watch for extreme weather in all forms, and Stay Tuned for more future climate change reports.

Anyone in these areas of Texas who has a picture phone ATS and ATSNN has several new forums where you can send photos taken with your phones direct to ATS. If you have one I invite you to take pictures of this weather event please include shots of the flooding and send them to the picture forums. Anyone who captures any news event or extreme weather event on your picture phone can send in the images via e-mail right from your phone.

For more information on picture phone submissions to ATS please visit the following link:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Gazz

[edit on 30-6-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I live in south Texas. Although we normally see more rain than north Texas this is not the norm. This has been the wetest June I've seen. Normally this time of the year is fairly dry. Really odd weather.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I live in Amarillo Texas and we're working on the 7th day of rain and are currently under a flash flood watch I'm not complaing though cause we really needed it. One of the local lakes has risen 10 feet and still going.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I wrote about this in my blog 2 days ago. Texas has more rain and cloudy weather than all of Europe. I was born in Texas, and I've lived here most of my life. This is extreme weather! No doubt about it.
A running joke in west Texas, where my parents and brothers live is, "When it rained 40 days and 40 nights, we got a half-inch of rain". This may be normal for Houston, but the rest of the state sees this as crazy!

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by TexasConspiracyNut
I was born in Texas unlike most people here and I see no extreme change.

Ditto. It's just Texas Weather, and the records are here in Ft. Worth and Dallas... not across the whole state.

Heck, I remember a series of some 20 days when the temperature was over 100 here in Dallas (which may seem unusual, until you realize that Lubbock, Texas, usually has that kind of temperature in the summer and for at least that many days in the summer.) Last year the lakes were down to near-record lows.

Yes, I do think there's climate change going on and there's certainly the "heat island" effect of cities. But one city area getting unusual rain does not count as a global climate change.

Large areas that seem to have accelerated climate change would be the Arctic.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 08:23 AM
link   
If water expands when it freezes, then hows does the polar ice melting actually raise the water level? I thought it would be similar to a glass of water that has the ice melt and the water level go down due to the water not taking up as much surface area as the newly melted water? Are the physics involved diffrent since it is on such a large scale?

It's been raining here in Atlanta, GA for 2 weeks straight and expected to continue through the 4th of July weekend.

The Big O

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 08:30 AM
link   
The north ice cap is floating in the ocean, and would not change the water levels if it melted. The ice on the south pole is however resting on a land mass. If ice is stacked in a glass, and it is resting on the bottom it will raise the water level in the cup when it melts. Try it out if you don't believe me.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Now, I know that Antarctica is a continent, but I believe that most of the ice is frozen on top of the water surrounding the continent and attached to the coasts. Of course, I could be completely wrong with this, since I�m just basing this off picture I've seen on various shows on Discovery, The Science Channel, ect.

I understand your point about the ice stacked on top of a surface that has already impacted the water level, thereby being an independent body outside of the water volume calculation. If this independent body is all of the sudden introduced into the water, of course, it will increase the overall volume of water.

However, does anyone know how much of the Antarctica ice that is melting, and how much of that melted ice is attached to the coasts of Antarctica and how much is on top of Antarctica? Is the volume of frozen water greater at the South Pole than at the North Pole? If both bodies completely melted would they actually keep the level of water the same as it is now? No one ever goes over these question on �End of the World� shows, and I think these are the types of questions people actually want answers to but have no idea of the Math behind them.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Excuse me...but dbates...you're wrong! A "floating" object only displaces fluid equivalent to the volume of the object submerged.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join