It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Israel Rocket Strikes Media Building in Gaza

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Israeli Helicopters fired 5 rockets at a building which houses several media outlets including CNN, BBC, NBC, and Al-Jazeera. Tanks, troops and bulldozers reoccupied a Gaza town yesterday in a bid to curb Hamas rocket attacks on Israel, after the crudely made missiles claimed their first Israeli victims, a man and a three-year-old boy.

ABC Australia

The Foreign Press Association in Israel says a helicopter attack on offices in Gaza housing several media organisations demonstrated a "callous disregard" for the lives of journalists.

Two technicians were among three Palestinians injured when Apache helicopter gunships fired five rockets at the 12-storey building in central Gaza City.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Related News
The Guardian: Israel retakes Gaza town, but Hamas missiles still get through

[edit on 30-6-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
In a related story which adds info on the top story, quoting Israel's Deputy Defense Minister told Israel mil radio, "We could annihilate Beit Hanun and the rest of Gaza in a few hours. We certainly have the power to do so,"

(photo:AlJazeera)< br />

Israeli army said the building, which houses several media offices, including Aljazeera TV, was "a Hamas building".

The building's owners and occupants denied the accusation.

"This is an office building. It has nothing whatsoever to do with Hamas or any resistance group," said Salah al-Naa'mi, who goes to work in a nearby building.

english.aljazeera.net... 16BB24179E.htm

This hot spot is spiraling out of control more reports as I find them....

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Its simple. That was no accident. You scare the media off then you can resort to even more Hitler-esq activities. The Gaza Strip is in effect a big concentration camp.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Its simple. That was no accident. You scare the media off then you can resort to even more Hitler-esq activities. The Gaza Strip is in effect a big concentration camp.

Pretty much, FT. In a conflict, the most dangerous place to be is in the media of the disadvantaged side. Well, maybe not the MOST dangerous, but you get the point.

This is similar to what happened in Baghdad in 2003, where US tank batallions shelled the Palestine Hotel which was, several times, red-flagged as a housing shelter for non-embedded journalists. What kind of target is a hotel? I don't know. What kind of target is a hotel full of journalists? A strategic one in terms of information control. The message such an attack sends in both cases is quite strong in terms of "Don't report what we don't want you to report", which is partially responsible for why western media is so weak in terms of reporting all sides of a story.

[edit on 6/30/2004 by AlnilamOmega]

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Yep, Kate Adie, the well respected bristish war reporter, told Irish radio that she had been warned off by the US military, who told her that independent (non-embedded) reporters were going to have their transponders targetted. And then lo and behold, ITN sends independent teams, and one of them gets killed. As such, it seems entirely unsurprising that Israel has decided if their protector can get away with that sort of behaviour, then they can too.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Response to FPA Condemnation of Israel , communicated by the Israel Government Press Office

Tuesday, 29 June, 2004

We find the Foreign Press Association in Israel's condemnation of the State
of Israel puzzling, hypocritical and pretentious.

Puzzling, since if there were no persons present in the building attacked, in what way does the FPA consider this "callous disregard for the life and security of journalists."?

Hypocritical, because the FPA has repeatedly demanded that the State of
Israel not prevent the entry of journalists into Gaza, despite it being an
area of conflict and regardless of the obvious dangers to the journalists
themselves.

[...]

Finally, we are rather curious as to whether the FPA will also protest the
reckless behavior of the Hamas, whose indiscriminate shelling of Sderot must certainly be endangering the many journalists who are there today.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Riwka
We find the Foreign Press Association in Israel's condemnation of the State
of Israel puzzling, hypocritical and pretentious.

Puzzling, since if there were no persons present in the building attacked, in what way does the FPA consider this "callous disregard for the life and security of journalists."?

Hypocritical, because the FPA has repeatedly demanded that the State of Israel not prevent the entry of journalists into Gaza, despite it being an area of conflict and regardless of the obvious dangers to the journalists themselves.

Finally, we are rather curious as to whether the FPA will also protest the reckless behavior of the Hamas, whose indiscriminate shelling of Sderot must certainly be endangering the many journalists who are there today.

It took long enough. You Israeli lobbyists are getting a bit slow on your response times.
Also your damage control on this website is waning. But, hey, to me... that's wonderful. Your bosses won't like it too much, though.

So what if the building was empty or not? The attack still imposed damages on a place of business, thus reducing the effectiveness of that local branch of journalism. It's a good thing if it really was empty, that much is true. That at least demonstrates that the IDF is more humane than it usually seems.

In terms of dangers to the journalists themselves, more IDF troops shoot warning shots or directly at journalists than is really accounted for. As to why they target reporters, I have no sensical clue. If that is the danger you are talking about, then, yes, it really is a dangerous place to report from. But journalism, not just good journalism, usually comes from the site of the story. You can try to control the news with such violent vigilance, but you cannot suppress all of it no matter how many journalists you kill or maim. Rachel Corrie vs the IDF Bulldozer is a sad example of this. I suppose that disallowing the media to enter the region is a better solution as opposed to outright shooting the media.

Maybe the FPA did protest the Hamas attack on an Israeli journalist site, maybe they didn't. I don't know for sure so I can't provide a valid argument. But it is likely that such a protest did happen.

I also like the site you quoted that comes directly from Israel.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Maybe the FPA did protest the Hamas attack on an Israeli journalist site, maybe they didn't. I don't know for sure so I can't provide a valid argument. But it is likely that such a protest did happen.

I also like the site you quoted that comes directly from Israel.

No, they didnt. Just check it out:

haaretz
maariv
Yedioth Ahronoth
Arutz Sheva
Jerusalem Post

[edit on 1-7-2004 by Riwka]

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   

It took long enough. You Israeli lobbyists are getting a bit slow on your response times. Also your damage control on this website is waning. But, hey, to me... that's wonderful. Your bosses won't like it too much, though.

Do everyone a favor and keep comments like this to yourself. You are in no position to mock the words of those who disagree with you. You have your opinions, and other members have their opinion. Frankly speaking you have no right to imply that someone who disagrees with you is an "Israeli lobbyist" and imply that their comments on this site are posted for questionable reasons. I suggest you not soil the forums which such comments again especially on ATSNN which is viewed by a rather large audience.

Thanks for your understanding of this.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
Do everyone a favor and keep comments like this to yourself. You are in no position to mock the words of those who disagree with you. You have your opinions, and other members have their opinion. Frankly speaking you have no right to imply that someone who disagrees with you is an "Israeli lobbyist" and imply that their comments on this site are posted for questionable reasons.
Thanks for your understanding of this.

You make a good point in that I could be making an error by automatically assuming I was opposed by a zionist of sorts. However, judging by the experience I have had with such lobbyists and similar people in the past, I find that there is a marginal degree of error in this case. I say so because of the observations I have made as well as the continuity in their efforts to demean Isreali aggression. So, I will continue on this premise as I please, unless, of course, I am absolutely proven incorrect at one time or another. Also, please be aware that I am not making a mockery nor am I taking this issue lightly or humorously. Something I do not do is mock people who oppose me, because, as a matter of fact, I find that I learn the most from people who present perspectives which are different than my own.

I do appreciate your effort, however. I will proceed with more caution when the need presents itself. As for 'soiling' this area, well, that I already take special care not to do with any section of ATS. I would appreciate it, however, if you do not accuse me of ruining threads with my words because that is quite rude. With all due respect, it is likely you are only saying that I am soiling such a thread because you may not necessarily agree with what I am saying.

Riwka, the *good* Israeli websites, like Haaretz, don't have the actual article highlighting this. While I am not necessarily saying they are not there, I am asking you why you decided to provide direct links only from JP (which is arguably a pro-Rothschild propaganda machine) and Yedioth Ahronoth,which is is a similar propagandistic media outlet which seems to do nothing but feed the IDF fire that burns Israel inside-out.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 12:36 PM
link   
ah? Nothing found?

That's what I've said

new topics

top topics

join