It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palestinian held for Facebook criticism of Islam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Palestinian held for Facebook criticism of Islam

news.yahoo.com

QALQILIYA, West Bank – A mysterious blogger who set off an uproar in the Arab world by claiming he was God and hurling insults at the Prophet Muhammad is now behind bars — caught in a sting that used Facebook to track him down.

The case of the unlikely apostate, a shy barber from this backwater West Bank town, is highlighting the limits of tolerance in the Western-backed Palestinian Authority — and illustrating a new trend by authorities in the Arab world to mine social media for evidence.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
We are all God, but it's easy to take things out of context being a Muslim I assume...

It goes on to say:

Now, he faces a potential life prison sentence on heresy charges for "insulting the divine essence." Many in this conservative Muslim town say he should be killed for renouncing Islam, and even family members say he should remain behind bars for life.

"He should be burned to death," said Abdul-Latif Dahoud, a 35-year-old Qalqiliya resident. The execution should take place in public "to be an example to others," he added.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 11-11-2010 by Americanist because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-11-2010 by Americanist because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Americanist

He must have been a dumb idiot for thinking he wouldn't get caught for making such claims lol..

His fault, he knew the culture + the law, now he has to live with it.

It is like a Westerner going around dissing everyone in the streets, saying things about people's moms etc. Either the cops are gonna come and arrest him, if the cops doesn't come in time expect a mob to punch his face from the front to the back.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism

He must have been a dumb idiot for thinking he wouldn't get caught for making such claims lol..

His fault, he knew the culture + the law, now he has to live with it.

It is like a Westerner going around dissing everyone in the streets, saying things about people's moms etc. Either the cops are gonna come and arrest him, if the cops doesn't come in time expect a mob to punch his face from the front to the back.

I agree with you, but it's protected to rag on yo'mama here in the US. In fact, they made a series about it which aired on MTV or VH1. Those guys had some pretty solid talent!
But not to digress... He runs the risk of being punished with death for an issue of free speech.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

He runs the risk of being punished with death for an issue of free speech.

Yes, the same goes for Al-Awlaki, the US has already given him the death sentence for an issue of free speech.

I disagree with that case, and this case.

Al-Awlaki knew the culture, that is why he left the US, he knew what would happen. At least e was smarter than this guy who lived a double life. Muslims hate such people, who claim to be Muslims in the open, but Atheist in the heart.

That equates to spying.

The above being said, I think this man would have been much better off if this man discussed his thoughts with his family, rather than hiding it, and talking behind their backs, and insulting them behind there backs, on the internet.

Sad indeed.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism

He runs the risk of being punished with death for an issue of free speech.

Yes, the same goes for Al-Awlaki, the US has already given him the death sentence for an issue of free speech.

I disagree with that case, and this case.

Al-Awlaki knew the culture, that is why he left the US, he knew what would happen. At least e was smarter than this guy who lived a double life. Muslims hate such people, who claim to be Muslims in the open, but Atheist in the heart.

That equates to spying.

The above being said, I think this man would have been much better off if this man discussed his thoughts with his family, rather than hiding it, and talking behind their backs, and insulting them behind there backs, on the internet.

Sad indeed.

In your book and the whole of Islam it equates to spying... Let's make that crystal clear.

Lining up this gentleman beside Al-Awlaki (who puts hits on US civilian targets) is a pretty obvious apples and orange comparison. I'll agree with you Al-Awlaki deserves a trial, but I won't stoop much lower.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Next time please quote Al-Awlaki so I can read his quotes and see whether your claims about him is true or not.

Al-Awlaki, just like this individual is making his speech, and expressing himself and his views on the current world conflict. The only different, this individual talks about the religion which he openly pretends to be in, and in the back of his own family makes a mockery of that same religion he pretends to believe in.

I'm not saying he should be sentenced to death, or even go to jail. Just like I'm saying Al-Awlaki shouldn't be imprisoned or even sent to prison.

Both cases are related to freedom of speech.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Al-Awlaki issue was not a result of a free speech issue:

Awlaki is, of course, the notorious al Qaeda cleric who openly claims Maj. Nidal Malik Hassan (aka the Fort Hood shooter) and Umar Farouq Abdulmutallab (who tried to blow up Flight 253 on Christmas Day 2009) as his “students.”

Anwar al Awlaki’s License to Kill

Its from an American media source, so take it for what you think its worth. It talks about his latest comments and video appearance and his calls to kill Americans.

Its not against the Law to denounce the American Government or its policies, and happens on a daily basis. Arrest warrants were issued for him prior to him fleeing the country to Yemen, at which point the arrest warrants were rescinded and he was placed on the assassination list.

My personal opinion is he met all the required criteria for renouncing his US citizenship, but others debate that issue.

Where people get in trouble is if they have prior knowledge that an attack was going to occur. It forms the basis of a conspiracy to commit a terrorist act, commit murder etc.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   
This case, is one of the many reasons, why facebook is unacceptable to the Arab world.
Even though i don't use facebook (and don't intend to), facebook is useful in some way to a lot of people.
What we have here is a freedom of speech issue. An issue which is never tolerated in Arab countries.
Okay this guy is a complete idiot thinking he could get away with it.But to be sentenced to
prison or worse,is a totally over the top reaction by the religious police.It does really sound as if this guy has some form of mental issues. Psychiatric help in this case would be more appropiate.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by HEREFORD 1969

Psychiatric help for which side? The guy who made the posts on Facebook, or the nazis on the other side who want to control peoples speech and thought process?

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Arabs dont follow concepts such as pluralism, secularism or freedom of opinion. Arabic society is what the west would consider fascist. This is common knowledge, I dont know why everyone acts surprised. The only open and democratic society in the region is Israel. Thats why Arabs want it destroyed.

new topics

top topics

join