It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Call of Duty video games

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Why are people so obsessed with this series?

It's the same thing over and over and over with very little variance and yet people play..

I worked at Blockbuster for awhile and people would turn down games like Fallout to play CoD and i would ask if they've played it and almost every time they said they beat it multiple times..

My cousins are the same way.. They have 'prestiged' the max amount you're allowed but won't pick up a new game or do anything other than play this retardedly simple game...

I dunno maybe I'm not hip, but if someone could please explain the popularity of these games for me, i would much appreciate it

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
your guess is as good as mine....i dont think they are really obsessed with the games as it is herd mentallity....the game makers hype it up over and over and over again before its released and people just about wet themselves waiting...and finally its released and people thinking just turns off...almost a form of short term brainwashing......i figured it out tho....ive learned.....the last medal of honor was suppose to be reeeeeeaaally good and was super hyped and i fell for it and it turned out to be the worst online game ive ever played....garbage. and when i saw black ops being hyped the same way i told myself there is no way im gnna fall for it....but people still do and they end up getting the shaft. the gamemakers know they can make a ton of money if they hype it....and they do. the masses cant control themselves and thats the key.
edit on 11-11-2010 by Funkydung because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
the new ad:

There is a soldier in all of us.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Funkydung

I understand good marketing and herd mentality but have you seen some of these people play this game? The game they've played a thousand times on the same map with the same guns?

I normally don't buy into the whole TV can control us but i do think there is something hypnotic about that game

Not to mention the amount of good games being passed up for this crap
edit on 11-11-2010 by squirelnutz because: terrorists made me

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by squirelnutz
reply to post by Funkydung

I understand good marketing and herd mentality but have you seen some of these people play this game? The game they've played a thousand times on the same map with the same guns?

I normally don't buy into the whole TV can control us but i do think there is something hypnotic about that game

ive played em all....battlefield is the best. none of the other can come close to that game. all the other are junk...the online maps are super small and everybody is on top of each other....and your right all the games that come before are the exact same.....thats why i like battlefield...the maps are open and theres plenty of room to move and the weapons are badarse and you can actually drive all kinds of tanks and actually fly helicopters and rain down destruction....battlefield is way ahead of cod or moh....
edit on 11-11-2010 by Funkydung because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by squirelnutz

It's a fast paced tactics/strategy game. For me, these FPS are about learning the maps, and trying to out think your opponents. It can also be a teamwork game. There is definitely an adrenaline rush factor at times (which can get addicting).

Personally, I think Battlefield Bad Company 2 is more fun because they have better sounds, effects, and types of vehicles you can use. The Maps are HUGE compared to Call of Duty, but that does make it a little slower at times.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
You could say the same thing about clothes, or cars, or pretty much anything.

Not much changes, yet we continue to buy buy buy.

Other than that the game is actually pretty good.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I got hooked on it, but it wasn't herd mentality or anything like that. I haven't played video games nearly as long as most people that play. It's easy to pick up, and it's easy to get good at it. There are like 4 or 5 different styles of playing (not game modes, weapon choices & perks), and it's very fast paced. It just doesn't get old for me.. but then again, I'm one of those people that play the same level in Tony Hawk until I master ever button combination & trick.

So I guess it boils down to; it's easy to spam and get kills without having a ton of gaming experience. Man, I should stop being so honest.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jessejamesxx

So, the game never gets old? How many times can you do the same thing? How many times can you be number one before it just gets boring?

You can learn more about warfare playing Risk than playing CoD

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
COD games have always brought war front to the desktop or laptop. It is so real and resembles the real life actual incidents. I saw Band of Brothers Movie and that played COD 4.. it was so much alike...

COD Black Ops rocks.. But Modern Warefare series is still a hot shot.. :-)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I can undertsand why alot of people play on Call of Duty so much, after having played on it alot myself.
I think the reason i enjoy it so much, is the fact that for a while ive been thinking about joining the armed forces, and COD can be a form of reliefe from a day to day life also, the apeal to me of team, objective based game, seems to be quite high.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
the new ad:

There is a soldier in all of us.

not in me(i would never join the military), i never play those games period.

Why is it that madison ave think all males want to play those games or be in the military. These games make me sick period.
edit on 2/9/2011 by andy1033 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
For me, one thing that brings me back is the "sameness" of the online play.

I'm used to the class loadouts, press X to respawn, no respawn delay in Team Deathmatch, etc. It has its downsides (some weapon imbalance, lag, etc), but overall it's one of my favorite video game series.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ffman

The problem, though, is they've stopped trying to innovate with the series every since CoD4 came out. They've hardly tryed to change the game at all and keep pumping them out because they know everybody will still buy them just because of the name.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by warbird03

They do make changes each year, but the base format of the game remains the same.

I can notice big changes especially jumping from Call of Duty 4 to Black Ops. Changes in environment, killstreaks, method of unlocking new items, etc.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ffman

Purely cosmetic changes for the most part. Innovation means doing something in a new way, something that hasn't been done before. They did pretty good at that until World at War. Sure, different maps. Slightly more customization options. What they've released as seperate games (MW2 and BO) would be more like expansions for other games. Look at Bad Company 2 and then the expansion for Veitnam. The Veitnam expansion holds nearly as much multiplayer content as BO.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
cod 4 is awesome. heh even cod 2 is still a hoot to play. i dont care for mw2 or black ops.
i play cod 4 because its fun (and i always win)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by squirelnutz

It all boils down to one simple compelling concept: Social Value.

It's so high up there that people are compelled to stick to it.
I have my reason for playing it, and I too have gone above and beyond the standards for an average player by dominating the competitive field.

But that doesn't stop me from playing the Xenosaga series, NIER, and a number of other compelling and amazing titles while having enough time for school, work, friends, and most especially family.

Don't hate player, nor the game, hate the market.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKiryu

As you've demonstrated, COD simply captivates multitudes of niche interest worldwide.
BTW, nice Darker than Black Avatar. im glad people are seeing more quality anime instead of baggage like naruto.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by warbird03
reply to post by ffman

Purely cosmetic changes for the most part. Innovation means doing something in a new way, something that hasn't been done before. They did pretty good at that until World at War. Sure, different maps. Slightly more customization options. What they've released as seperate games (MW2 and BO) would be more like expansions for other games. Look at Bad Company 2 and then the expansion for Veitnam. The Veitnam expansion holds nearly as much multiplayer content as BO.

Nearly as much multiplayer content - with only 4 maps?

As for the "sameness" of the Call of Duty franchise: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join