It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top Russian spy defects after betraying ring in U.S.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Top Russian spy defects after betraying ring in U.S.

news.yahoo.com

MOSCOW (Reuters) – The head of Russia's deep cover U.S. spying operations has betrayed the network and defected, a Russian paper said on Thursday, potentially giving the West one of its biggest intelligence coups since the end of the Cold War.

The newspaper, Kommersant, identified the man as Colonel Shcherbakov and said he was responsible for unmasking a Russian spy ring in the United States in June whose arrests humiliated Moscow and clouded a "reset" in ties with Washington.

The betrayal would make Shcherbakov one of the most senior turncoats since the fall of the Soviet Union and
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I love stories like this.. they talk about the "Ice Axe" of 1940...

Anything to do with spies gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

"We know who he is and where he is," the unidentified official was quoted as saying. "Do not doubt that a Mercader has been sent after him already."

Ramon Mercader was the Russian agent who murdered exiled Bolshevik Leon Trotsky with an ice axe in Mexico in 1940.

Apparently the russians knew he defected days before they announced the spies that were uncovered here in the US.

Both countries know they are being spied on by the other. I wonder how many spies we actually have in the Russian Govt. and likewise, how many they have in ours.

I am sure we have spies in every major Govt. in the world. I wonder if every major country has a spy in our Govt.?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
If these guys had been American spies in Russia, there would a huge uproar worldwide and be added to the list of reasons to hate America. I really don't know what to say about this honestly, good thing for us that they defected.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Clisen33

We did have spies in Russia.. We did the exchange for them.
I find it funny that 2 countries can smile at eachother at the same time send spies to infiltrate the other country.
Spying has been top shelf for so long now, there has been enough time for a spy to be DEEPLY embeded.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
sounds fun.. lol.. wonder how long he will last? and what is going to happen to russia if they get caught killing this guy in another country? sound like a war in the making or perhaps a police action?

new topics

top topics

join