It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil Will Run Dry 90 Years Before Substitutes Roll Out, Study Predicts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Science Daily.com

ScienceDaily (Nov. 10, 2010) — At the current pace of research and development, global oil will run out 90 years before replacement technologies are ready, says a new University of California, Davis, study based on stock market expectations.

It's not often you come across information in outlets like this for Peak oil theorists.

I don't personally have a dog in this fight as I don't know much about the Peak Oil issue. But I have read enough to know that if the theorists are right, it will be a very long and cold process to returning mankind to a technological level left behind by the oil drought...90 years.

Society would be far simpler, and the world would be far less populated as a result.
edit on 11-11-2010 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Isn’t that exciting news?

We could always use another dark age, snap people back into reality a bit, eh? Oil was and continues to be a necessary evil until it can be replaced. But now it appears that it will run out before we can replace it, by 90 years!

This is not very good news for us who love living in a civilized society.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Sorry I forgot to add to my post before hitting the post button.

Indeed. 90 years...Wow. How many of us could survive? At least the Paris Hiltons of the world, and all the spoiled brats this world has created would have something real to whine about.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
this is one extreme of the oil conspiracy however on the extremme other side u have conspiracies that suggest there are actually near infinte amounts of oil, which is being kept undertabs as more money can be made from it. And it gives america excuses to invade other country's

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I would have to say Rubbish on this. I have just done a research paper for college on renewable energy. We have plenty of viable alternatives currently. The only thing stopping the switch over to alternative sources of energy is the vast amounts of money that is still able to be made from oil. As soon as oil is no longer profitable or available, you will immediately see alternatives.

I think we may already be headed in that direction. There are significant research and development projects underway in all aspects of renewable energy from new types of nuclear reactors to an article I just read yesterday that said we will be able to generate large amounts of power at the tributaries of large rivers, taking advantage of the chemical reaction between fresh and salt water.

news.discovery.com...

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
How many of us could survive? At least the Paris Hiltons of the world, and all the spoiled brats this world has created would have something real to whine about.

That's kinda cold, ya' know??

A lot of people would die. LOTS. Starvation. Lack of medicine. Freezing or over heating. Not just 'spoiled brats' .. but people who rely on civilization to survive ... diabetics, heart patients, kids with tonsilitis and who need antibiotics .. people like me with autoimmune diseases (and glaucoma and kidney stones and ...). Simple strep throat would kill and kill and kill ... It would definately be 'survival of the fittest' ... but it wouldn't just be the Paris Hiltons of the world who would be miserable and/or dieing.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
They act like they can't switch over to hydrogen fuel cell engines which produce NO co2 safe, and fill up the exact way you do with petrol... Hydrogen cars will be in use in OUR lifetime. Sun powered cars rubbish, for now atleast.

Bring on the renewable hydrogen fuel cell car!!

They have so much money at stake in oil they want to push us to the limits of running out...
edit on 11-11-2010 by thecinic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by wisintel

Energy is only one component of what oil is used for in the broader global economy.

Oil is used to make so many different things we take for granted that if we did run out, I can see a scenario where it would take 90 years to replace the infrastructure, and the overall oil-based products that make up so much of our daily lives. Everything from computers, to car tires, to pharmaceuticals, to basic plastics and medical equipment. Much if not all would have to be replaced. This includes energy.

What I'm saying is that energy would only be one component of many concerns we would have to deal with in the event peak oilers are correct. And when adding the impact oil has on everything, it seems more plausible to say 90 years. The article goes into detail about how long and why it would take so long for world markets to deal with this crisis, if there actually is one that is.

I'm not saying we should run for the hills on this or anything...There are plenty of other factors collapsing the US and world economy as it is.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Don't be so sensitive.

It's not like I'm wishing harm on anyone. It's a JOKE.
Take it for what it is and move on.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
i already posted a thead on this this morning in the uk and it was

totally ignored

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 11-11-2010 by digby888 because: forgot the link

please delete wrong thread sorry
edit on 11-11-2010 by digby888 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join