It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Forces Boy To Take Flag Off Bike

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Now you're just being silly. The point here is, if something is disruptive, it needs to be eliminated. Whatever it is. Police carry guns, too. Should the children be permitted their 2nd Amendment rights on school grounds?

That's a stretch. My point was and is, it is ludicrous for us as Americans to have to defend our right to bear our flag. That one child's display of an American flag is a disruption, while his/her bike is parked and most likely locked to a bike rack, is "silly". It's not like the child was riding the bike up and down the hallway.

No, children shouldn't be permitted 2nd Amendment right's on school grounds. We have LAWS regarding that. Not just policies that are left to each administrator's interpretation. That's "silly".

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
In the public schools in my area there is an American Flag in each classroom. I'm not sure how it is in the People's Republic of California.

The moron who tried to compare this to the Second Amendment need their head examined. If the Mexican kids want to fly the Mexican flag they are perfectly free to do so......................................in Mexico. I'm a getting more than a little bit sick and tired of everybody being able to celebrate their so called "heritage", while if I celebrate mine I'm called a racist. USA if you don't like it GTFO!

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by JIMC5499
The moron who tried to compare this to the Second Amendment need their head examined.

It's no more ridiculous than comparing a kid with a flag on the back of a bike with a police officer having a flag on his uniform. Try grasping the point before slinging the insults, mmmkay?

No one minds if this kid shows his patriotism at the appropriate time in the appropriate way. What I mind is micro-managing the school's ability to do what they think is in the best interest of maintaining an environment conducive to learning, which includes minimizing the disruptions. They're there every day. We pay them to make these calls. If they think it's a potential problem, let them handle it.

Jeez, everyone wants to politicize everything. Let schools be schools. We're talking about kids, here. They have a limited capacity for a good many things that adults should presumably handle without issue.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
Try grasping the point before slinging the insults, mmmkay?

I got his point completely. He was stating that if the school let this kid fly his flag, then other students should be able to exercise their rights by bringing guns to school.

I stand by my statement. I wasn't being insulting, I was stating a fact.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   

reply to post by JIMC5499

Actually, it was my point. The point was, yes police officers have flags on their uniforms. No, they shouldn't be required to remove them before entering the school. Yes, it's completely different. Police can wear the flag in the school. Police can carry guns. Police can do a lot of things students aren't permitted to do.

The school admin makes rules for the students, not the police. I didn't bring up the flags on the uniforms, someone else did. I used the 2nd Amendment example to point out the fallacy in the argument. And I'm the moron? Thanks, and have a lovely day. I'm out.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

growing up every public school i ever went to flown the us flag every state agency flies the us flag and the state flag the only people who have any problems with this are liberals and once upon a time a liberal stood for personal freedom.

the kid was showing support nothing wrong with that what is wrong here is telling the kid no you can't do that.

man i would reevaluate calling myself a liberal man because this is what they have become word nazis,flag nazis except of course when it comes to other flags in this country those are ok and those are freedom of speech and expression but no how dare you fly the ameican flag!! hell no!!!

there is noithing wrong with that kid showing his cultural heritage but nope he can't.

this country is so messed up and there is no hope left for this country when the idiocy like this runs rampant.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
edit on 11-11-2010 by neo96 because: double post sorry

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
This discussion is so shallow.

You people really think we are getting the whole story here?

It obviously stirred the pot somehow and escalated, creating a disturbance.

They didn't just take away the little boy's flag to be a "Liberal Extremist"

It's an educational institution, not a cultural pride institution. If the flags are disrupting things, take them away and focus the kids on important things.

They can get more than enough flag touting and regurgitated military propaganda from their pseudo-brainwashed parents.

School hours are a time to be brainwashed, not regurgitate brainwashed tendencies.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

And there you go.

I have great sympathy for the school. I know exactly what the principal means. One kid does A then another will do B in response until it escalates. School is for learning. Whatever distracts from that should be excluded.

The issue here, if pressed, will end up being Tinker vs Des Moines, and the school will be forced to back down.

It's a clear violation of Tinker, the school district law staff should have already called the principal on the carpet over this and backed down rather than let it drag out, become a big deal and cost them money and time.

Justice Fortas noted that the actions taken by the three students had not been disruptive or aggressive. The protest was a "silent, passive expression of opinion," that had led to the suspension of only five students out of the 18,000 enrolled in the Des Moines schools. Though a few hostile comments had been made to the students who were wearing armbands, there had been no threats or acts of violence. Based on this factual record, Fortas found puzzling the district court's finding that the school had reasonable grounds for barring the armbands. The principals may have had general and nonspecific fears of a disturbance, but such fears were not sufficient to overcome the students' First Amendment rights. He pointed out that any departure from the normal school regimen was liable to cause trouble. However, the risk of a word or symbolic expression causing a disturbance was the "sort of hazardous freedom" that made the country strong and vigorous. The school system could not ban a particular expression of opinion unless it could show its actions were based on more than the "mere desire to avoid the discomfort and unpleasantness that always accompany an unpopular viewpoint."

linky

More:

This same thing happened in California back in May during Cinco de Mayo when Morgan Hill school district forced five students to take off flag t-shirts. The principal was forced to back down, apologize, and resign that week by the legal staff, but it didn't stop a law suit.

link

legal complaint pdf

edit on 11-11-2010 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Now I'm a multiracial American citizen. I do find patriotism to be a menace to society. Yet this boy should be able to fly his flags

Are you out of your cotton pickin MIND???? Patriotism a menace?
you find it to be offensive, take your offended self and LEAVE!!! Save your job for someone that WANTS to be here and is a PROUD PATRIOT!!

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
When you can no longer fly your own flag In your own country AT WILL - It Is time to realise It Is no longer your country.

Same as Australia - no more santa allowed at school as the muhammeds dont like It ... well then they shouldnt of moved here, or gone home when they found out how It wasnt their type of place.

The more I read here, the angrier I become, and truly believe we all need to stand together and throw over our Govts!

These people dont want to move for a new life - they want to move In and take over yours and make your country like the country they deemed not good enough to stay In ( they are a lot of things but smart Isnt one lol ).

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
lol read the article, they fear racial tension because if he flies the flag on his bike which isn't inside the class room, Mexican children will want to fly a Mexican flag?

thus causing a racial situation? HMMM the American race?

The joy of living in an overly Political Correctness taken to the extreme world. Glad they focus their time on this instead of real issues no?

So do they wanna put a Mexican Flag up in the class rooms or just take down the American flag?

Stupid that is would even happen.

Are they going to ban any type of clothing with an American flag on it? Oh wait they probably all wear uniforms, lets just put the kids in orange jump suits already.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Wow really?? Not being permitted to display the stars and stripes in an American school is a sad thing...

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I really can't add anything that hasn't already been said. however i can agree that this is the most ridiculous thing i've heard in quite a while. I can agree with taking God, and/or religion out of schools. that is pretty self explanitory. But when that school is in these United States, and a flag cannot be displayed.....Holy cow...this really upsets me....this is a great country (even though TPTB really fudged it up good).

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   

"Our Hispanic, you know, kids will, you know, bring their Mexican flags and they'll display it, and then of course the kids would do the American flag situation, and it does cause kind of a racial tension which we don't really want," Parraz said. "We want them to appreciate the cultures."

What should have been done was either to allow all flags or to allow none. Showing favoritism, and this being to another nation, isn't the right thing to "teach the kids".

It could be racial tension or nationalistic tensions, either way, it's ignorant. Parraz, could be Mexican. I don't know.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Looks like the school got so many complaints they decided to reverse their stance on the matter.

School Reverses Course After Ordering Student to Remove American Flag From Bike

Good...

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Would the school have reached the same conclusion if the boy had a Rainbow Flag on this bike or another Country's Flag ????

I seriously doubt it.

Political correctness is a disease on our land..... Especially when standards are enforced arbitrarily, not enforced equally.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join