It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need an Idea for a Family Christmas Yankee Swap

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
My extended family gets together every Christmas, but years ago we stopped exchanging gifts with everyone in favor of buying only one gift that goes into a grab bag from which we all choose, or, take from someone else in a "Yankee swap." It is lots of fun!

My track record for buying something that goes over well is not very good!!

I'm looking for suggestions. The gift is to be for an adult of either gender - something anyone could use. The price range is between $15 - $25.

Thanks in advance for your help!

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Mary Rose

I will try to think of some suggestions.

I think the general idea is great though, I'm dreading Christmas coming as it's going to more or less bankrupt me, just having to buy one gift would really save my bacon and it sounds a lot more fun
edit on 11-11-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   

In cases like this I usually lean towards an recently released DVD or a gift card to a good restaurant, can't really go wrong with those two.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

In my family, it was I who asked my siblings for us to do this. I have four siblings, and at the time I suggested this I also had my father and stepmother, my aunt and uncle, and my cousin to buy for. I can't remember what we did with our nieces and nephews.

I had gotten to the point where year after year, it was really hard to figure out new ideas for what to give. And opening the gifts was mass confusion.

With the grab bag, all eyes are on one person at a time choosing and opening his/her gift.

And the Yankee swap part can be hilarious at times.

Now I really look forward to this get-together every year.

edit on 11/11/10 by Mary Rose because: Clarity

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
My main problem comes from Nieces and Nephews. My sister has 3 children and my girlfriends sister has 8, yes eight !!!!

edit on 11-11-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I think what we're doing with the kids (my kids are adults now so it doesn't involve me) is that the parents are responsible for buying a gift for their children, and the children's names do get put on those gifts.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   

This year as with last we've scaled back; one "big" gift the person really wants and that's about it. We give baked goods to friends and neighbors no one I know has a bunch of money and I'd rather have a dozen cookies baked with love anyway. My daughter is going into the farrier business so her "big" gift is a piece of equipment she'll need and since she's getting married in August a Hope Chest with items from her families' past; a quilt that my Mom started but didn't finish so I will, a tea cloth that once again my Mom didn't finish so I will and my Grandmother's silver. Christmas is about blessings not gifts. The best gift I'm going to get is being with my family on that day and sharing good food and better company.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
pocket digital photos

www.gifts.com...

edit on 11-11-2010 by Forgoten_Whisper because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I am one happy camper! I have a list going now. It has 3 choices on it. This is fun!

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
How about

Hand Pants
or a Mood Duck Radio

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
It's time for me to start thinking about this again.

I'm thinking I would like to buy a handheld electronic game. (No violence.)

Again, it's to be in the price range of $15 - $25, for an adult of either gender.

Do any of you have a game that you know of that people enjoy?

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   

join