It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disaster Comparison: 2010 versus previous years.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   
My curiosity got the best of me, and I started digging on just how this year stacks up to previous years, in particular 2000 to 2009, in terms of disasters. Is 2010 really more volatile than previous years or does it just seem like it?

The results I came up with were satisfying and yet surprising...

I compared the following categories:

Earthquakes (Worldwide and US only)
Volcanos (Worldwide and US only)
Plane Crashes (WW and US only)
Tornados (US only)
Hurricanes (US only)

The results for volcanos, plane crashes, tornados and hurricanes all revealed that in fact the numbers are average or below average for 2010 when compared to 2000 through 2009. I won't bother posting the specific numbers unless requested, as I want to skip to the part I do want to reveal:

Earthquakes. In the United States, it has been a VERY active year. How active?

For 2000 to 2009, the average number of earthquakes per year: 3,211.

So far in 2010, just until November alone, we have had: 6,838 earthquakes. That's right, nearly twice as many as average. Those surprising results prompted me to pull up the stats for 1990 through 1999, and the same result, twice as many as average.

I'm still trying to trace if and where there specifically has been an increase geographically within the US. The bulk of those increased quakes range in the 3.0 to 3.9 magnitude.

My conclusion: Without knowing if there's a specific location with increased activity, all I can speculate at this point is that 2010 has so far had a significantly higher number of small magnitude earthquakes on record compared to previous decades no matter how you look at it.

Source:
earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Dramier

This issue just keeps cropping up ... although I have been on ATS for a while tonight. Cern, or other hidden experiments of a similar nature, offers a real human culprit for our increase in earthquakes. I don't think this has been debunked; I'd rather not keep harping on about it if it has.

2010: Record in Earthquakes
Published: April 20, 2010

The magnetic field within the lhc tunnel. Outside of the beam tubes is still 3 million times greater than the earth’s magnetic field

CERN people adduce that because the gravitomagnetic fields of the LHC are not ‘colosal’, they should not have the energy to provoke earthquakes. But earthquakes only need a ‘butterfly effect’. Simple mine explosions have caused them. Air bombing has caused them… Since the energy of the earthquake is already stored as potential energy in the fault. So you just need a chaotic, butterfly effect multiplied by the fault to release its energy. Earthquakes are in that sense similar to an avalanche. And the LHC has enough potency to be the butterfly…

In the graph we can see how strong those fields are and how they spread outside the ring into the rock formation under the Jura mountains.

We cannot pretend to know exactly how the huge LHC magnetic field is affecting the Earth; as we don’t have reliable maps of the entire Earth’s field. Yet the causality in time is there: we know that any new source added to a magnetic field modifes its structure. In April we introduce a new top magnetic field on this planet and the surge in Earthquakes peaked.

www.cerntruth.com...

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Interesting thread, admittedly though, I was skeptical so I had a quick look and I have to say wow, just in the US alone there seems to be a seriously massive increase of earthquakes, and the year isn't even over yet.

Just look at the numbers from the past 10 years:

Year - Earthquakes
2000 - 2342
2001 - 2261
2002 - 3876
2003 - 2946
2004 - 3550
2005 - 3685
2006 - 2783
2007 - 2791
2008 - 3618
2009 - * 4264
2010 - * 6838
(Source)

I'm not an expert on such things by any means, but could Yellowstone be partly to blame? I mean, wasn't there a big increase of the number of earthquakes here in recent times?
edit on 11-11-2010 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Interesting, but does it mean anything? Its only for the last 20 years....

So before people start to panic, I would try and get more information over a longer period of time to see if this value is high or if its low.
edit on 11-11-2010 by bluedrake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Worldwide earthquake figure are at the second lowest for the past 20 years acorrding to 1990's and 2000 - 2010 but the US is unusually high.

What is shocking is the number of worldwide deaths, but thats a different topic.

Heres a graph for Mag >6 over the past 30 years in the US which does show an increase in larger earthquakes.

Source

The low worldwide figure may be at its lowest for 20 years if you take away the increased US small quakes.

One question though - Have the US increased the sensitivity/quantity of their monitoring stations thus leading to the recording of more quakes?
edit on 11-11-2010 by Jamjar because: (no reason given)

top topics

join