It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need help deciding on a handgun

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by wasco2

This is simply a true statement. It's unfortunate but some people do need to be killed. An example. Afghanistan 10 people were killed and 2 beheaded because some nut job reported they burnt a book. Wake up you'll live longer.
edit on 4/2/2011 by JerryB08 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Look at what the Military/police carry, that will give you an idea on brand because they need something reliable and easy to maintain. For HOME defense you cant go past a tactical or coach gun 12g or 20g. I personally have a coach 12g side by side with plenty of 00sg shells. One shot and the threat is STOPPED in its tracks, leaving you with another shell for another threat. However if your wanting to be mobile which i assume you are knowing whats ahead than a .40 calibre is brillant. great stopping power without to much kick>

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by badly

My two favorite that i have is the Walther P99 and my glock 23 both. The Walther is the perfect survival weapon and the grip is just awesome and can make incredibly tight shot groups and well the accuracy is great . The glock would be good for the wife small compact and lethal . Now if you need to go cheap Ruger LCP feels good good shot group excellent for self defense and again the wife Bersa Thunder Compact Pistol.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by jlafleur02

so what did u finally decide on?????

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by 51Reasons
If you are worried about cost you can get a HighPoint 9mm for under $200. Here is a link www.hi-pointfirearms.com... . I was thinking bout getting a handgun (I have a Remington .870 .12 gaugue) and read up heavily on this handgun. I read through about 400 reviews with only a few negative mostly all posative. The few negative ones said that the gun can jamb if you load the clip with full 8 rounds. Solution for those that had the problem was to only load 7 rounds at a time. If you do go for this gun, do not get the extended clip, just get an extra 8 round clip. I heard that the aftermarket clip they have for it jambs. Most all reviews said gun rarley ever jambs and is a great deal and feels sturdy. Get at least a 9mm or .38 if you want to be able to take a target down. .40 or .44 if you want a bigger bang. O , I also read one review where this guy was trying to "break" his Highpoint .40 cal. He said him and his friends fired 2000 rounds through it only stopping to let it cool enough to fire a new clip and didnt have 1 jamb even though the gun was hotter than @#$%. Thats what sold me. Also read many other reviews that said they had over 5000 rounds through it w little to no probs.

Thanks you for sharing

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

I fail to see why people make threads like this?

I am not sure whether its attention you are after as you could get decent advise from many people in person at the gun range you intend to use "a lot".

For defense? From who?

Are you often targeted for attack? For someone short of money you would be better off spending that money on a better education and getting a better job therefore raising your income allowing you to move to somewhere that is safer for you and your wife.

Stupid people with guns get themselves killed in situations you dont know how to handle. You obviously have no military training or police training so when in a situation that YOU think needs a gun often it does not.

Armed people lose the ability to reason, and go for the weapon instead of using their brain.

You are not dead now, correct? Therefore you have manged so far without a gun.

Anyone that needs to ask for advise on a gun does not need one or should not have one. Without correct training and knowledge of different situation you are just a s dangerous as those you what to protect yourself from.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by testtubebaby

I fail to see why people make threads like this?

I am not sure whether its attention you are after as you could get decent advise from many people in person at the gun range you intend to use "a lot".

For defense? From who?

Are you often targeted for attack? For someone short of money you would be better off spending that money on a better education and getting a better job therefore raising your income allowing you to move to somewhere that is safer for you and your wife.

Stupid people with guns get themselves killed in situations you dont know how to handle. You obviously have no military training or police training so when in a situation that YOU think needs a gun often it does not.

Armed people lose the ability to reason, and go for the weapon instead of using their brain.

You are not dead now, correct? Therefore you have manged so far without a gun.

Anyone that needs to ask for advise on a gun does not need one or should not have one. Without correct training and knowledge of different situation you are just a s dangerous as those you what to protect yourself from.

It's pretty easy to see why people make threads like this. It's so they can get advice from people that are experienced and can recommend weapons that have been personally tested or used, and narrow down the field to do less research from scratch, and find if any weapons have specific problems not mentioned elsewhere.

Obviously defense from an armed attacker or attackers. Do you live under a rock? Don't see all the evil in the world or the headlines every day?

It doesn't matter how educated you are or where you live, even the safest communities have outsiders that will target them for crime, or have to travel to or through areas that are not so pleasant as the perfect world you live in.

Calling the OP stupid is not what an educated person that uses their brain would do, is it?
It's his Constitutional right to be armed and protect himself, no matter what any other ignorant person thinks.

Armed people do not lose the ability to reason, and the majority of attacks that are thwarted by armed citizens do not require any shots to be fired. What, do you think you're going to reason with a criminal?

Just because somebody has been lucky enough to not be a victim of crime thus far does not mean that it can't happen at any time.

Asking for advice on a gun just means you'd like other people's opinions before making an educated purchase. It's pretty ignorant to think just because somebody asks about something, or want's to discuss it that they're too dumb to have one or something like that.

I agree that any armed citizen should be trained, but it in no way makes them more dangerous that a criminal!! Not even comparable!! THE OP'S FIRST SENTENCE SAYS HE'S RECEIVING TRAINING!!

So, everybody has to be a trained policeman or be Rambo just to excersize their Constitutionally guaranteed right to defend themself?

I must say that It really seems like you're an anti-gunner just here to spew hatred and ignorance, and troll for an argument. I apologize if I am wrong, but judging by your post, it's pretty obvious. The OP is asking for advice and help, not ignorance.

edit on 7-6-2011 by deesul69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
My recommendation would be a Ruger P95. They're $325 brand new, great quality, lifetime warranty. 9mm, which is powerful enough for self defense, but low enough recoil to be comfortable for an inexperienced shooter and a female to handle.

Ruger makes a quality product, and the P95 is tough as hell. I shoot +p rounds all the time, never jammed, no problems. It also has a DA/SA trigger, which means you can chamber a round, de-cock the hammer, and safely carry a round in the chamber with the safety on or off, and have a heavy double action trigger pull on the first shot. Each shot after that has a light single action trigger pull, as the hammer is cocked by the slide when fired.

If a primer fails to go off, it also has a second strike capability, which means you can pull the trigger again and usually fire the round. It has worked good for me at the range, I was shooting some cheap surplus Pakistani ammo, and once in a while I'd get a hard primer that would fire on the second strike. I wouldn't recommend that with high quality ammo in a defensive situation, though. The tap-rack-bang drill would be best in the real world. It's still good to know you can pull the trigger a second time though.

You can also get hi-cap mags for it as well, so less reloading at the range.

For the price, you can't find a better weapon. Maybe a Taurus revolver or something, they're like $350. for a snubby .357, but the girlfriend might have problems, even when loaded with .38 specials.

Wow, this thread's old!! What did you choose?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   

I must say that It really seems like you're an anti-gunner just here to spew hatred and ignorance, and troll for an argument. I apologize if I am wrong, but judging by your post, it's pretty obvious. The OP is asking for advice and help, not ignorance.

edit on 7-6-2011 by deesul69 because: (no reason given)

agreed just another anti-gunner living in a fantasy world might i add who is sooo upset that someone with a different view has dared to mention something about using their right to bear arms, wht the h3ll is this russia?????? We are Americans meaning we have freedoms(freedom of speech and the RIGHT to bear arms) we are not commies!!!!! I tell you what if this post upsets you that much YOU DONT HAVE TO READ IT!!! and anyway i dont see why u wuld even bother posting on this article. If you dont like the right to bear arms maybe u shuld move to china or russia or somethin where you wont have to worrie about people useing their rights because they dont have any!!!! THIS IS AMERICA LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT!!!!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   

I just purchased a .38 caliber revolver for my personal protection. I have a handgun permit. I am female, age 63 and I live alone. It's easy to load, easy to carry and easy to fire. It has a stainless steel body so that absorbs the recoil more.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by testtubebaby

Stupid people who are not in touch with the reality of this society annoy me. No where is safe anymore, especially for women. Education has nothing to do with it.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
.22 cal semi auto. Full size, not a tiny little pocket piece.

They are light, inexpensive for quality, and CCI Hollow points are dirt cheap. Less than $12 for 100 rounds.
Learn to shoot it, and learn to aim for the head.

There is not a man alive that can survive a .22 cal CCI hollowpoint between the eyes.

Pencil sized entry hole, and silver dollar size exit hole.
They have all the stopping power you need without spending money like an arms collector.

Also...in SHTF situation, you can carry 1000 rounds of .22 ammo alot easier than 100 rounds of 9mm ammo.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I have found the Rock Island 1911 in .45 apc used around $395.00 For her a Ruger 380, again used around $350.00
Good Luck

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join