It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If SHTF, this is the gun I would bring

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
I would hold on to my 2 old friends:

H&K G3A3

ak 47 M70 B2

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by RedBird

Ahh the Mosin Nagant. While not pretty it will get the job done. My friend has one and it is about as simple as it gets. The round is also cheap and reliable.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I wouldn't personally get all fancy. If S does really hit the fan, you need a simple, yet low maintenence result getting boomstick IMO.

Just give me my 12 gauge pump with a sling loaded with buckshot, and a few boxes of shells in the pack.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by mwood

Nice I wish i could get myself one here in Aus.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
when SHTF i for one, am ganna pull out my AR-15 w/scope, and camp out my house. maybe set up shop on the roof.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I see a lot of well thought out answers, some not-so. To quote the Marine Corps, "I am the weapon, everything else is merely a tool." Talk of silencing weapons are 'Hollywood'. A single shot from a firearm should not give away your position unless you are in very close proximity of the enemy. I have read people claiming to use military caliber weapons because they will 'get ammo' from whatever they think will be available from others.
I am going with a muzzle loader .50 caliber, for hunting, to be exact. If I run out of commercial powder, I can make a form of black-powder; the military teaches you some of the coolest stuff. I can recover most of my ammo from the animal I harvest and re-cast it.
If you want a silent weapon, use a bow, crossbow, sling-shot. Trapping is a low-calorie, silent, and easily modified to the largest and most dangerous 'animals'.
If you are talking personal defense weapons, go for something that will mesh with your style of defense/offense, i.e. an assault rifle for assaulting, a hand gun for back-up (remember, you use a handgun not because it's better than a rifle, you use it because you can't use your rifle for some reason, like CCW), a shotgun for short range defense, rarely offensive unless you are trained that way. As a PDW, I chose a Krinkov, for price, cost of ammo, high-capacity mag, and conceal-ability (yes, it can be well hidden in a top-coat or 3/4 length jacket, just ask any Russian bodyguard). For home defense, I use it, and a Mossberg 590A1.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I just bought a Sterling semi auto Type 2, in 9 mm. It sports a 34 round mag, 16.25 inch barrel, with a full ventilated barrel shroud and a under folder stock. It could be my SHTF weapon, because it would store easily in my backpack, and the ammo would be compatable with my 9 mm semi auto 1911.
edit on 26-5-2011 by Erno86 because: added a few words

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I see a lot of people pointing the amount of ammo you can carry on your person. This is irrelevant if you're not moving. There will undoubtedly be a large number of people who will hole up with their friends and loved ones. This is a completely different type of situation. What about the situation where your food and ammunition stores are under threat? These will become close range conflicts.

In either situation I think the best choice of weapons would be the good 'ol AK-47/Variants. It's trusty, dependable, nearly indestructible. The ammo is common, and would be easy to find. The Ak can be used in almost any situation from close range to medium/long range. The ability to burst or fully automatic fire in a defense situation is a huge factor, who needs 1000 yard shots when you can put 20+ rounds in a target 250-300 yards away?

In a situation where moving is a factor the AK is still a very handy weapon to have. Ammo wouldn't be a huge issue, getting the weapon dirty wouldn't be a huge issue, range/terrain wouldn't be a huge issue.

That's just my opinion though.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

The thing is, a Mosin is less than 100 bucks. I got a lot of ammo for mine when it was 40$ for 440 rounds loaded with heavy bullets(I think they are 200 gr.)

Anyway, so you use it till you run out of ammo, and throw it away. If you survived any gun fights, you collected more guns anyway.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
The best SHTF gun hands down is the AK. It's accurate and powerful enough for any SHTF use, hunting, defense, etc. The 7.62x39 round is powerful, cheap, and plentiful. I don't think there's a more reliable tougher weapon available than the AK. AR's are great, but for SHTF, definitely the AK. Mosin's are great guns, but I think the round is overkill for most situations.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
There is nothing wrong with using a Mosin Nagant. It is a common misconception that ammunition would be all that scarce. But that just means you aren't looking in the right places. Sure, you probably aren't going to see 7.62x54 rounds gracing the shelves at your local walmart. And you most likely aren't going to see all that many people using something in that particular caliber in a SHTF scenario.

However, the ammunition is all around you. For example, around where I live, there are a handful of pawn shops and gun shops. Of these, about 4 of them usually have Mosin Nagants on display. You know what else they have? Several boxes of ammunition for those rifles.

And then there is the collector factor. A surprising number of people purchase this rifle every year. And when they do, they also buy ammunition for it. Even though it most likely wouldn't be their first choice in a defensive weapon, they still have it around.

Personally, I'm more of a semi-auto kind of guy. I use a springfield M1A which fires a .308 and uses 20-round mags. It's heavy, it kicks like a mule, but it gets the job done and is always on target. I love it.

I used to use an SKS as well. The 10-round internal mag wasn't sufficient so it was modified to fire 30-round AK mags. However, it was fairly common to get stovepipe jams. They take seconds to fix but are still annoying.

But after selling the SKS and moving up to an AK-47, no more jams. Nothing but reliable shooting in 7.62x39. It has the same range as an AR-15 but is just slightly heavier. I replaced the wooden furniture on mine with a quad-rail and a 6-point collapsible stock so it has pretty much the same functionality as an AR-15 but with a better gas system in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
i like the SKS russian model..wilh bayonet and scope..and my 1911 colt...45 ammo is everywhere as are the rounds for the sks..KISS (keep it simple simon) one rifle one pistol

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
7.62x54 is a great round but if you're going to use a nagant you better put some good optics on it, because those old russian scopes were crap

i used to have a dragnov svd made by tula, but i got tired of packing that heavy thing around and sold it for a hefty profit..they do make a cool wall hanger though

Click Image to Enlarge Free Image Hosting

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by allenidaho

How long ago did you modify your SKS?

I just use the Tapco 20 rd mags and they work perfect.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
About 7 years ago. Sold it about 2 years ago. The problem was mainly with the way the mag was seating. Sometimes it would not be sitting flush after reloading and this would, in turn, cause feed problems. It was built with Norinco parts. Not Tapco.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by allenidaho

I have a norinco sks as well.

I mean use the Tapco magazines that are a direct replacement for the SKS. No modification necessary. Just remove the original 10 round mag and you can remove and insert the tapco's similar to an AK.

That's why I was asking how long ago it was, because they might not have been available then.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join