It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Announces Televised Chandra News Conference - "exceptional object in our cosmic neighborhood"

page: 21
<< 18  19  20   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by 19rn50
Can a black hole, move and do the same damages as a tornado?
For some reason, I keep thinking about them spirals pictures.

Ahh yes, the roaming black hole of destruction! - Yep they do roam about a bit, but the thing you have to remember is that you really do have to be pretty close (in astronimical terms of course) to feel the effects, and getting suck into oblivion even closer, and the hole prosess takes probably millions of years, unless you can intentionaly travel there.

We on Earth would be long dead before that, probably as soon as we start to see any real effect from it's gravatational pull we would expire because our narrow litle comfort zone we can easily survive in would be upset.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by I think Im normal
...I agree, I do not see how this warrants a press conference at all...

You think you may have discovered a black hole that is only 293,931,268,659,200,000,000 miles away? (50 million LY.)...

... We will never ever ever ever ever ever ever be in the vicinity of this affecting us, so how is it what they are talking about, warrant a press conference? a paragraph or two in a journal at best. I don't see how this discovery will affect any living thing on this planet, if you listened to one of the gentleman talking, he said it would take roughly 40 million years for the black holes mass to double and there is no current way for us to measure this. So you see, IT IS POINTLESS. just as my calculations are pointless...

Er Umm...NOBODY at NASA ever said anything about this directly affecting life here on Earth. NASA didn't hype anything -- That was people posting on ATS who did that.

All NASA did was call a press conference to announce a scientific discovery. They call these press conferences all the time regarding scientific discoveries that most people find to be mundane. Most of the time these press conferences go unnoticed by most people, but ATS conspiracists -- in their infinite wisdom -- decided to over-hype this particular announcement of an otherwise esoteric scientific discovery.

As I said, NASA regularly holds these types of press conferences (although most people never notice). One of NASA's mandates is for scientific discoveries just like this one. I'm glad that they make the announcements of those discoveries available to the general public like this. It helps keep me informed.

edit on 11/16/2010 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

the phrase...in our cosmic neighborhood... definitely means within the Milky Way,
and my guess would be for a wandering Black Hole to be in one of the Galactic spiral arms
and not the one at Sagittarius A (galactic center)

i'm astounded.... that the science community would think that a Galaxy 50,000 LY distant
would be called a thing in the 'Neighborhood'

i finally seen the article that revealed that a birthing Black Hole is being documented
over the last 30 years of visual inspection (of a distant event some 50,000 years ago,
which we are seeing for the first time unfold)
here's the source:

NASA keeps close eye on baby black hole
By Timothy McDonald

www.abc.net.au...

This composite image shows a supernova called 1979C within the galaxy M100 that may contain the youngest known black hole in the earth's cosmic neighborhood. (NASA)

Video: Black hole gets scientists in a stir (ABC News) Audio: First look at a baby black hole (The World Today) NASA scientists say a star that exploded in 1979 has begun to form a black hole, providing the first opportunity to observe the phenomenon in its infancy.

Dan Patnaude, an astrophysicist with the Harvard Smithsonian Centre, says the black hole has been forming for the past 30 years, or 50 million years, depending on your perspective.

"When we talk about how old the black hole is, or how old the supernova is, we're actually referring to how old it is with regards to when we first observed it," he said.

"So when we say it's 30 years ago it means that that's when we saw it.[...]

but all that aside... I was about half correct in my post...the interesting object would be a Black Hole

but i was completely amiss in characterizing the object as being in a SpiralArm of the Milky Way itself...jeeze i'm waay out of tune with my psyche and remote-viewing talents...

i'll work on the ability to interpert the info bytes i get from the cosmic-consciouness thingy...
but how about the 'Black-Hole' hit... give me a pat-on-the-back

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Sigh... NASA, Never A Satisfying Announcement...

I know its kinda silly to think that since yes it can be construed as a good find, but the way they made it out it felt like it was something a lot more than, "well we found a possible black hole we've sort of believed is there for a few decades".

Hmm and like some others, is that really what they think of as our cosmic neighborhood?.. I wouldnt even consider that the same country or even on the same planet.. Id only ever use the term for something in our own galaxy although I guess that would be our galactic neighborhood, rather than cosmic.

Slightly anti climatic regardless...

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigfootNZ

Perhaps the subject matter was exciting to only those involved with/interested in astronomy -- but don't make like the "anti-climactic" part was NASA's fault.

NASA never "hyped" this press conference -- all they did was schedule it; no hype.
It was some people here on ATS who were the ones who hyped this as some sort of HUUUUGE Earth-shattering life changing announcement -- not NASA.

True, NASA did say it was an "exceptional object", but astronomers and astronomy buffs would tell you that was not hype -- SN 1979C is a well-known nova, and a potential 30-year-old (observable age) black hole associated with it would in fact be an "exceptional object".

NASA calls press conferences like this all the time to discuss their discoveries. Most average people just never notice, because many don't care about the subject matter.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigfootNZ
Hmm and like some others, is that really what they think of as our cosmic neighborhood?.. I wouldnt even consider that the same country or even on the same planet.. Id only ever use the term for something in our own galaxy although I guess that would be our galactic neighborhood, rather than cosmic.

The observable universe is about 93 billion light years in diameter. This black hole is about 50 million light years from earth, or within about 0.05% of the total observable universe. To bring it down to a scale we can understand, let's say the surface of the earth is equivalent to the observable universe. The furthest point away from you on the earth is about 12450 miles away. If we take 0.05% of that, we get 6.2 miles. Maybe a little excessive a definition of a "neighborhood," but not outrageous, either. More like "cosmic village," I guess.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Well for me this seems significant right after this 'discovery' The news comes out with a story about a New Planet that has entered our galaxy from another. HMMM sound Familiar? it should. Niburu is from another Galaxy and everything that is said about this new Planet is the same for Niburu except that they gave it a number HIP 13304 b or something like that, then said it was 2000 light years away, then said it would take 16000 years for it to be close enough to get too? So what they were saying was, This Planet will come close to us. Now the ones who follow Niburu closely realize this is the Planet Niburu. Every description of this Planet is the same. Except they say its far away and we cannot get there. Thats the spin to keep everyone calm. Because if they came out and said what it is. A lot of people would panic instead of be happy. Anyway it was funny though they talked about those gamma bubbles then within days. This Mysterious Planet is in our Galaxy. If its path is correct, by April May 2011 we should all be able to see it and they can't spin it away. So maybe this conference has a lot more to it than just Cosmic Bubbles. Maybe they are also going to be talking about Niburu.

edit on 21-11-2010 by NiburuWatcher35 because: Left out Information.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by NiburuWatcher35

Niburu? Really? Out of the thousands of new planets discovered each year you focus on this one? A planet that has survived being swallowed up by it's own sun and survived? One that is incredibly far away and originated in a much smaller galaxy that was swallowed up by our own? One of a few such galaxies which I would have to assume each contained millions of stars so ergo many more planets but this one is Niburu and it will be here in time for christmas 2012?

Hmm ok... Is your microwave properly shielded? Just asking.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

See you are going by what you read not by what you feel. If you believe Nasa Or Scientists or what the Govt tells you, 9 out of 10 you will have been giving you wrong info. Its cool if you don't believe in Niburu or don't believe this Planet is Niburu. They Spin it, They gave you all the info within the story, but you have to pick and choose which parts were spun, first the name, just a Number? then its speed? making it so slow we wouldn't be able to get there for 16000 years. Since the age of 12 40 years ago Niburu became my obsesion. Its ok if you don't think it is. But in talking to a few friends who believe in Niburu they also say that it more than likely is. If you don't see it with your own eyes by April May 2011. Then maybe it isnt. But go back check out its size and everything about it. Funny Niburu does that. 1.25 the size of Jupiter, comes from and eliptical or ecliptial orbit. Is orbiting a dead star. Gives off a gold hue? I dont need more facts than that to say yep its the Planet Niburu right on course. Go read about this year and Niburu it is right on course. Your belief is cool. But I believe it is. Ah well Microwave is broken so I can't do that lol

edit on 21-11-2010 by NiburuWatcher35 because: put in some wrong info
Oh also it may turn out not to come on 12 21 12, Some say maybe 13 remember Calenders have been changed over the years so it could turn out to be a different date. Funny though the Sumerians and Mayans and all the prophets who talked about this Planet seem to be right on course. Choose to believe or not to believe. The naysayers will naysay till it is viewable by everyone. But will then probably naysay it anyway and still say it isn't what it is.
edit on 21-11-2010 by NiburuWatcher35 because: left out information
I guess I have to throw this in also, If you tell me Nasa or Govt or Scientists say and that's what you go by, LOL forget it, those are three key areas I have never believed, all three are part of the Govt. the Govt is only going to let out what it will let out. Nasa lies, Gubment lies and Scientists give half truths because the other two won't allow them to tell the complete truth.
edit on 21-11-2010 by NiburuWatcher35 because: more to story

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by NiburuWatcher35

OK buddy, I'll make you a bet, I'll give you all the way to december 2015 and if this puppy is indeed Niburu I promise I will eat my hat, your hat and once a week I will purchase a return plane ticket to whatever part of the world you live in and do your house hold chores - every week for a year! Deal?

And if I win you will pay for my internet access for one month, which should cost about as much as a used car by then.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
What ever is going to come it should possess very advanced technology they are not Going to make them self visible

edit on 28-11-2010 by Arcot because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Arcot

Oh man! The uber Egg heads, whew i'm all for science and discovery, but could you imagine having to spend a day in a room with on of these...people?

They get orgasmic about something that we will never encounter! It just blows their mind, but adds nothing to the human race as a benifit...

No wonder the Government wants to cancel Nasa...

They need to 86 MIT while they are at it, i've found no relevant need for MIT, if you see what they put all their time and uber intelligence into you would agree with me too...

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brainiac
...They get orgasmic about something that we will never encounter! It just blows their mind, but adds nothing to the human race as a benifit...

No wonder the Government wants to cancel Nasa...

I have no problem with scientists getting excited over this stuff. There are many things about my profession that I find exciting that may bore other people to tears, but that doesn't mean I think my profession is useless.

Just because the understanding black holes, or supernovas, or pulsars, or whatever have no perceivable direct benefit to the human race does not mean that science should not strive to better understand these things. The knowledge gained about these seemingly far away objects IS often directly relatable to more earthly concerns. For example, understanding the physics of a black hole may help us better understand the physics of the quantum world that is all around us.

They need to 86 MIT while they are at it, i've found no relevant need for MIT, if you see what they put all their time and uber intelligence into you would agree with me too...

Well, MIT is a university that teaches our young people how to become engineers, physicists, architects, economists, and computer scientists, among other things. Some of the worlds best engineers, architects, physicists, etc. have graduated from the university. I think it is still definitely relevant as a school for higher learning.

As a research institute, many of the worlds best technologies were first realized by the cutting-edge (and, admittedly, often off-the-wall) research that is done there. The military radar was perfected there. Advances in photography were developed there (George Eastman of Eastman-Kodak was a huge benefactor of MIT). Many of the physicists who worked on (and are still working on) quantum mechanics work for MIT. One of the principle investigators for the Human Genome Project (which decoded our DNA) works at MIT. RAM for the first modern computers were created at MIT. Plus, many advances in robotics and computer intelligence have come from there.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Flying saucer? I hope so ^^

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
wrong thread.

delete post please
edit on 2-12-2010 by infinite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Brainiac

That is one of the most rediculous things ive read on this site it is in fact idiotic.
This communications media you are using owes its very existance to MIT and MIT educated people.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by twilightzone

Originally posted by nonnez
reply to post by ksorelleesq

I am just curious if they would consider that in our "cosmic neighborhood"....
Seems quite a ways out of town for me but who knows.

My curiosity is peaked for sure!

Whatever you have to say, I will not read. My eyes are bleeding every time I see your avatar.
Please do us a favour and change that annoying picture.

I hate to jump on the bandwagon to attack someone else but I agree with you, that avatar made me entirely skip that post. Not because I am a jerk but because I just don't like looking at it.

top topics

<< 18  19  20   >>

join