It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. High school, college completion rates rise

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   
More U.S. residents than ever have high school and college diplomas, although rates still vary greatly by race and ethnicity, the Census Bureau says.

Among those 25 and older last year, 84.6 percent had graduated from high school, up from 84.1 percent the previous year, according to bureau estimates being released Tuesday.

www.cnn.com...

This is encouraging news for the U.S. educational system. And although still lagging behind, the completion rates for minorities also rose.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Is this because they are lowering the standards?

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Governor GW Bush's so called 'Houston Miracle' of the school system turned out to be a complete accounting fraud. With Paige now running the Education Department I don't feel any confidence that ANYTHING he reports is worth used toilet paper.

Since it is the Census Bureau, one wants to believe it, but SiRiNO could actually be correct that for political purposes the standards for HS graduation could have been lowered.

[edit on 6-7-2004 by slank]

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SiRiNO
Is this because they are lowering the standards?

In the high schools? YES. In the colleges? NO. It's tougher than ever to get into, and finish, college. As it should be.

A 2001 U.S. Department of Education study (the last one before "No Child Left Behind" became law) said that 90% of Americans had high school diplomas; 25% of Americans had Bachelor's degrees of some kind; 12% of Americans had Master's degrees of some kind; and 5% of Americans had PhD's of some kind. There was no data avaliable on certifications from trade schools, perhaps because there are so many certifications to get (everything from cosmetology to aircraft repair), and that people that fit into the above categories also have certifications of some kind, usually.

The fact that high school diploma holders to Bachelor's degree holders drops from 90% to 25% tells me that the standards of education in high schools are way overinflated. A high school diploma is practially a right these days; they hand them out like SSN's and birth certificates...

[edit on 7/6/2004 by ThunderCloud]

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 11:23 PM
link   
ThunderCloud, by " It's tougher than ever to get into, and finish, college. As it should be.", do you mean the massive amount of money you need? I have been thinking about this a lot lately (I am a Junior in HS), and it seems in the past few years the cost has really shot up. If the trend continues, by the time I am in college, I would be looking at $30+ per credit for just the local CHEAP colleges. The school I go to is populated by upper-middle class families also, so I always hear what college they are going do blah blah. Most these kids aren't paying, and most of them have C and B averages. I am that kid that has a massive thirst for knowledge also (Thanks ATS) so what can I really do in these circumstances? Sorry, that seemed to go a bit off topic. Wait...no... I can kind of run that into this thought... In this census I wonder if the people with higher degrees ALSO had wealthier families... for some reason, it wouldn't surprise me.

[edit] Spelling/grammar

[edit on 6-7-2004 by IMPerial]

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 11:36 PM
link   
No, I wasn't referring to the money at all. College has always been expensive, always will be. My parents are lower middle class, so I went to college at a major university on students loans + working 20 hours a week. I got my BS in December 2001, so things haven't changed that much since then. I've still got that $30,000 in student loans to pay off though... good thing I've got 30 years to do it!

I was referring to the tough academic standards to get into major colleges these days... you have to have excellent SAT and ACT scores, as well as an excellent student record & grades at your high school. They even take a close look at your extra-curricular activities now!

Of course, that dollar amount will go up again when I start my Master's degree... then my PhD...

Anyone who's not classified as "rich" by the IRS can easily get student loans for college (now available even to convicted felons in prison!
) So I wouldn't worry.

The best strategy nowadays is to get the basics out of the way at your local community college (usually 2 years); then get your actual degree plan classes at the big university (usually 3 years).

[edit on 7/6/2004 by ThunderCloud]

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 12:43 AM
link   
[edit on 2004-7-8 by Teknik]

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Teknik
If you can't educate to standards, revise the standards.

Yeah, it's easy to pass a test when the ones you get incorrect aren't counted against you anymore!

top topics

join