It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A fine example of video-pokery. Doctor Who Christmas Special 2010!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Hello all and thanks for stopping by.

As I take my leave from here for the festive season to recalibrate my BS meter I thought I should share with you all one parting shot...of a gift.

If you would be so bold as to watch this trailer for the fantastic Matt Smith's first Christmas special as Doctor Who just now:

Pretty awesome yeah?

There's a tiny thing about a teeny part of it...but I'll get into that later.

I don't know how many of you have seen Matt's portrayal of the Doctor since he officially took over the role on January 1st of this year but I have to say I've been thoroughly impressed with the season that started airing on April 3rd.

He taken on the role of the Eleventh Doctor with such zest that it's hard to believe anyone else could have played the role.

Basing his character on the Second Doctor played by Patrick Troughton which is an unusual choice for a role model as so many of his episodes were lost in the great purge of the BBC archives.

And Karen Gillan as his sexy, and now married, companion was a perfect twist to the wonderful writing styles of Steven Moffat which danced with paradoxical events and lay plenty of clues for potential future (or past) stories.

There will be a chance to see a preview of the episode on November 19th an the Children in Need event on the BBC.

Ok, enough twaddle from me. This should be far enough down the page now and more likely to not be investigated immediately without someone having seen the trailer proper.

Have a look at how that video was actually put together:

The author or the piece dwcast25 explains how using Photoshop and After Effects with some branded music from the proms he was able to being a very realistic preview trailer for the upcoming Doctor Who franchise together without going anywhere near any of the usual channels to do so.

If this sort of tomfoolery can be done with over the counter (or down through the pipes) software by an amateur enthusiast then imagine what could be done by a dedicated team of individuals set of perpetrating a believable shame.

But more's to the point. If this type of high quality footage, which represented the brand it alluded to be very well I thought, is available then why do we even consider video footage (especially poorly shot and unconfirmed by other sources) as valid evidence for a claim?

The roles have to be reversed regarding those who place evidence and then expect to be treated admirable (or civilly as is so inelegantly put by certain foul mouthed people) for doing so. The expectation for people to debunk footage has gotten beyond a joke when we are dealing with such potential for visual 'wizardry'. There is not enough time in life to fulfil the egos of those who expect all and give nothing in return.

So conclude that piece. You cannot trust video - even well branded established media video as being the genuine deal.

For fans of the show The Doctor will be returning after the Christmas special by starting off with a 2 parter shot in America of all places.

For a humour look at how we each treat The Doctor stories with different cultural values have a loko at the BBC America trailer for it here:

I'll still be around to read posts and such, I'll reply to this one if the correct occasion requires it - I just won't be joining in on the rabble for a while. Sometimes it's good to have a break from things, and sometimes it's good to let things explode whilst you aren't there

Upon my return there will be evidence of a nefarious conspiracy presented which will shake ATS and it's members to the very core (Dum, dum, dum!)

Fare thee well!

-m0r

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

Yeah? Well good riddance ya bum!

That video looks amazing stuff. I can't watch it as I'm downloading stuff at the moment. So much for the on-topic.

Take it easy m0r and your witty SOBist posts will be missed by some of us. I'll email anything interesting

new topics

join