It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq War footage (graphic)

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by weirdo

Whilst your doing all that his buddies are targeting you and bang your dead cos your farting around with set proccedures thought out in the classroom by desk jocks with more interest in the legals and making sure you don`t do anything that would make the unit look bad.

actually those procedures are there to make sure the soldiers are safe. the guy might be dead but the grenades pin might be out.
also your squad is gaurding you from other attacks.

Don`t matter if your dead that happens but commit an act that might to the uneducated war experianced person offend public opinion that will raise hell.The British military hierarchy are very good at announcing the proffessionalism of the British soldier.What really go`s on is another story

actually no it does matter. every soldier report i see i feel angry that he died and question why we are there.
these guys signed up to defend not go out and invade.
how can shooting an injured iraqi that could give info make the situation better?
really? speaking first hand here?

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   
People join the military for all sorts of reasons not just to defend Queen and Country.
A soldiers actions are dictated by the situation and previous experiance.As in the incident recently when some American Marines entered a Mosque in Iraq and decided to kill the men inside.The Marine that fired the shoots was injured and a member of his squad was killed carrying out body searches the previous day.His reaction can only be explained and understood by people that have been there and experianced the anger and aggression it takes to pull your arse out of the sack every morning and face another day that maybe your last and your inner voice telling you that you will kill the first threat you see without hesitation so as to insure your not the next bodybag out.Your reasons for being there are not an issue.Making judgements correctly that can determine how long you live for are your only thought nobody cares whether afterwards it was right or wrong.
The amount of abuse that was handed out by locals in Ireland was really bad and l can tell you that a few members of my unit would regularly aim with the intention of killing a few of the people we were sent to protect.I and members of my unit have been on charges for meeting a few locals who thought that we could not touch them.Anybody serving over there could tell you it was difficult to know who your enemy was.Same crap in Iraq.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   
He was on the ground and wounded.
He was NOT a threat, not stupid enough to think he could use his weapon while surrounded by armed opponents.
There was NO reason to kill him
That was murder!
If it was A marine, you yanks would squeal like stuck pigs about the brutality and evil of it.
He may have been an enemy soldier but he was also a human being, he was also some childs father, someones brother, someones son.
If you forgo your own humanity you are no better than the enemy.

Those who do wrong and those who support them always make excuses for their behaviour. Selfjustification does not make it right.

You guys are under the geneva convention, its not open to interpretation, thats the point of it!

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 08:41 PM
link   
edited interviews, clipped videos, this smacks of propaganda.

Any who buy into such stuff without question have obviously never had an encounter with the media. I have and I can tell you, they are not to be trusted.

The grunt was answering questions, but what questions?
"Grunt, have you been home on leave recently"
"Yeah, I went home last month - clip - it was an awesome feeling."

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Sure Thomas, thats a very good possibilty. It dont change the fact that a wounded man was shot dead while clearly writhing in pain, he wasnt reaching for a weapon. He was down. The marines obviously had him pinned with their weapons trained on him, there was nothing he could do.
There was no provocation for the fatal shot.
Maybe he said "F*ck you yanky pigs", so they were forced to kill him, because he threatened their pride!

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I sure would like to see the footage that everybody is talking about. Surely this video is available somewhere on the net. Can somebody help me out here please?

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by instar
He was on the ground and wounded.
He was NOT a threat, not stupid enough to think he could use his weapon while surrounded by armed opponents.
There was NO reason to kill him
That was murder!
If it was A marine, you yanks would squeal like stuck pigs about the brutality and evil of it.
He may have been an enemy soldier but he was also a human being, he was also some childs father, someones brother, someones son.
If you forgo your own humanity you are no better than the enemy.

Those who do wrong and those who support them always make excuses for their behaviour. Selfjustification does not make it right.

You guys are under the geneva convention, its not open to interpretation, thats the point of it!

And your basing these comments on knowing who that person who was shot is and that they are inoccent.Maybe before this shooting they had seen this man kill in cold blood maybe he was wanted for killing people.Maybe the Marines had seen him rape some children then kill them.
You are basing your comments purely on this video without knowing jack else.You cannot condem any action without knowing the facts.
War is murder thats the whole point of it

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
War is brutal. The Iraq's set themselves up for this by faking wounded then ambusing troops. Its is tragic, but it is in the middle of a war zone. If you were a marine in that firefight, would you wanted to go and check the guy only to find he was wired to blow etc.???

That was not a playground it was a firefight. Tragic things happen in war.

I think that's true, I wouldn't trust those "Rebels" at all, who cares, ticked, revenge, just being cautious, or just for fun[don't take that the wrong way
], I'm with them on this 1.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Parhelia

Originally posted by celticniall
..Americans..the good guys ????????!!!

Don't make me laugh, there has never been a more dangerous time , and it's all thanks to you yanks!

You think you are the only people living in the world, look around you idiots!
People are living their lives in relative peace and Yank soldiers bomb and shoot innocent people, Iraq had no intention of attacking the US, nor had ANY links to Al Quaeda, but that didn't stop you, OIL was there, that was enough reason!
Get off your high horse, and look at yourselves....nothing but barbarians!!!
BUSH is a DICTATOR and you lot are sheep, following him around......what a sad country the US is.

Americans are the good guys... We as a collective population (for the most part) do not think that we are the only people living in the world. We do, however, have some leadership that make us all look as if we are.

When you direct your comments at us as-if we are all just as self-rightous as our leadership, it puts you in the aggressor's seat, and leaves you open for verbal attack from others, just as you have us. You really don't want that.

We do know that the US, Jesus and George W. are not all the same entity. He is the only one who feels/thinks that way.

IMO, you were right on target about the OIL bit, and most of the US believe that way.

Your SHEEP comment is way out of line. There are those who, by constitutional-law, have to follow Dubya's orders, but not as sheep, as professional military members... just as your military follows the orders of your country's leader. (Damn, I don't even like sheep.)

Have yourself a fine day.

parhelia, out

Well, most of US citizens still voted the dictator back into office!!
...what a bunch of suckers!....You had the chance to get rid, if you didn't agree with his policies, but you didn't..you followed each other (like sheep) to the voting booths, and voted for Bush, one afer another (like sheep)......thus you get my "sheep" analogy. This is not a personal attack, but a collective attack on you as a nation! The world would be better off and safer without the United States in it....and that is what most of the rest of the world thinks as well.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
I wont try to justify the Marines REactions to what they did in the video. But we need to think a bit deeper about what we see in it. At face value its a horrendous murder of a wounded enemy soldier. But was it really? We need to think much bigger than this one incedent.

The Geneva Convention and all war time rules and laws for that matter are many decades old. When these mandates were put into place soldiers fought soldiers. Soldiers could identify thier enemy, who the enemy was is clear in most cases. The lines between war zones were apparent most often.

Now we fight in a day and age where our enemy will employ anything to reach thier goal. They will(and do) hide behind women and childeren as they fight. Literally. They hide bombs and could care less who they kill. Terror is thier weapon and there are NO rules. They plant bombs on women and send them into a crowd to denonate. Its dirty fighting to the very definition and core. Terrorists follow no law.

Now again, I cannot (and will not) justify the thoughts and feelings those Marines expressed during and after that incedent, but can easily understand killing that man given the possible situation.

This man could have been wired to blow up. Is that reasonable? Now days not only is that a reasonable assumption it actually happens. He could have been going for his gun or a grenade. Understand people that this enemy will stop at nothing, death is considered a glorious event. In a situation where your enemy is not afraid to die, actually looking forward to myrterdom, you cannot take any chances at all. The Japanese in WWII used suicide as a technique and fought to the death, but even they had rules and honor they lived by. They could be measured and you could expect and anticipate them to a degree. Not the new enemy.

What would your reaction be if the video portrayed a US Marine getting blown to peices as he kneeled over this man trying to help him? I have a feeling your view would be quite different.

I think the bottom line regarding this video is this: These soldiers are fighting in conditions never before experienced. Against an enemy that will do anything without hesitation and play by no rules. Under these circumstances you can take nothing for granted. I think only under the most controlled and obvious conditions should a US soldier approach a wounded enemy in Iraq. Anything less could easily result in dead Marines.

Unless we were there, we MUST assume that these marines felt it was neccessary to kill that man, no matter what the thoughts conveyed on camera were. Please also remember that these are KIDS for all intents and purposes and thier expressions about the incedent reflect that.

I will conclude that until you and I get suited up and start carrying a gun and start patroling Iraqi streets we need to side with our troops: Our Fathers, Mothers, Brothers, Sisters, Sons, Daughters, friends. And they are thier right now in the crosshairs of an unpredictable and determined enemy...

Excuses, excuses.....the soldiers out there, whether they be relatives or friends, are MURDERING people, UNARMED people...and enjoying it.....tell me thats not WRONG......!!!!

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ess Why Kay
What exactly did this guy do that he needed to be shot and killed?

exactly, it's amazing what editing can do. Who knows what the guy was doing? Who knows if that Marine was even talking about shooting the guy, or talking about something else. You can't believe everything in the media. For all we know, the reporter asked the Marine how it felt to win his highschool championship football game.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 03:44 AM
link   

..Americans..the good guys ????????!!!

Don't make me laugh, there has never been a more dangerous time , and it's all thanks to you yanks!

You think you are the only people living in the world, look around you idiots!
People are living their lives in relative peace and Yank soldiers bomb and shoot innocent people, Iraq had no intention of attacking the US, nor had ANY links to Al Quaeda, but that didn't stop you, OIL was there, that was enough reason!
Get off your high horse, and look at yourselves....nothing but barbarians!!!
BUSH is a DICTATOR and you lot are sheep, following him around......what a sad country the US is.

Americans are the good guys... We as a collective population (for the most part) do not think that we are the only people living in the world. We do, however, have some leadership that make us all look as if we are.

When you direct your comments at us as-if we are all just as self-rightous as our leadership, it puts you in the aggressor's seat, and leaves you open for verbal attack from others, just as you have us. You really don't want that.

We do know that the US, Jesus and George W. are not all the same entity. He is the only one who feels/thinks that way.

IMO, you were right on target about the OIL bit, and most of the US believe that way.

Your SHEEP comment is way out of line. There are those who, by constitutional-law, have to follow Dubya's orders, but not as sheep, as professional military members... just as your military follows the orders of your country's leader. (Damn, I don't even like sheep.)

Have yourself a fine day.

parhelia, out

Well, most of US citizens still voted the dictator back into office!!
...what a bunch of suckers!....You had the chance to get rid, if you didn't agree with his policies, but you didn't..you followed each other (like sheep) to the voting booths, and voted for Bush, one afer another (like sheep)......thus you get my "sheep" analogy. This is not a personal attack, but a collective attack on you as a nation! The world would be better off and safer without the United States in it....and that is what most of the rest of the world thinks as well.

Yeah, I'd love to see the world without the United States, that would be a fun place to live. The truth is the world can't live WITHOUT the U.S., that is why everyone hates us.

As for Bush, people voted for Bush because Kerry was a liar and an idiot with his policies, and he couldn't stick with one policy. People didn't like him. In the first election, Bush didn't win by popular vote. This time, he did, by a huge margin. Yeah, that really shows people are sheep, that they made a choice literally. It means former Democratic voters voted Republican this time.

And it DOESN'T MATTER what that guy was doing, he could've been faking it; also, how do we knwo he didn't have bombs or something strapped to him?? You people are judging by a simple video; it is people like you that caused the U.S. to lose so many troops in Vietnam, cuz you wouldn't let them do their job.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Broadsword20068

Yeah, I'd love to see the world without the United States, that would be a fun place to live. The truth is the world can't live WITHOUT the U.S., that is why everyone hates us.

Comments like that is why people dislike the United States, and the fact you wage war in other peoples countries but as soon as somebody brings a little pain to your land you all get paranoid and start crying like babies

Have you been outside your country lately.Don`t believe the hype your country makes we pretty much remove ourselves from our overweight McDonalds munchin cousins.Theres nothing more funny than watchin yanks visiting London.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Cry like babies? Wage war in other people's land? It was Europe that tried to "appease" Hitler and thus WWII started. It was Europe that complained and moaned and argued about Bosnia until the U.S. finally went in and did the job for them.

And stuff happening on our land? The U.S. people band together usually is what happens. We don't try to "appease" the enemy the way the British or French did "Oh no, they're breaking the laws we set!" Well, let's wait and see if they're really gonna keep conquering or not."

Throughout its entire history in the modern world, all Europe has done is complain and not do crap about things it should, yet then they feel they should judge the U.S., the one who actually does take command when the going gets rough. A German journalist even wrote an article about that.

Anytime some crap starts in the world, it is always, "Where is the U.S.??" blah blah anyways; hell, look at France. They wage military affairs in teir former colonial countries, but no one ever mentions that.

The truth is the truth. The world really would be in a state of crisis if the U.S. wasn't around. Japan would've taken Asia, or Russia would've taken Asia and Europe, or Germany would've taken Europe, who knows; you'd all be living either under communism or facism, the entire Middle East would probably be a total mess as well, only they'd be killing civilians and bombing cities from here to high heaven if it was the Nazis or the Soviets, etc....

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Americans seem to have forgotten there past.Who created your country?

As for WW2 get over it.American joined WW2 because the threat of Hitler taking control of Europe would have posed a serious problem to America.If Hitler was successful it is probable that he would have become strong enough to look towards the Americas.Plus it was Japan that helped you decide.
As for wageing War Korea,Vietnam,Cuba etc etc etc etc.Israel

Britain was powerful enough to colonies large parts of the World and l guess you guys just can`t get over the fact that a small island of people was more powerful than you guys today.

Please if your gonna rant do some objective research into History outside of the great American Bull excrement that they teach in American High School

[edit on 12-12-2004 by weirdo]

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by weirdo
Americans seem to have forgotten there past.Who created your country?

As for WW2 get over it.American joined WW2 because the threat of Hitler taking control of Europe would have posed a serious problem to America.If Hitler was successful it is probable that he would have become strong enough to look towards the Americas.Plus it was Japan that helped you decide.
As for wageing War Korea,Vietnam,Cuba etc etc etc etc.Israel

Britain was powerful enough to colonies large parts of the World and l guess you guys just can`t get over the fact that a small island of people was more powerful than you guys today.

Please if your gonna rant do some objective research into History outside of the great American Bull excrement that they teach in American High School

[edit on 12-12-2004 by weirdo]

Well said!

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Hello People:

I served in the U.S. Navy (1983-90) and I can understand
been A soldier. The job you have to do may get you kill or
a friend kill. I know people get very close when they are in
combat together. A soldier don't fight because of obscure
political reasons , for the girl next door , the American way
or cherry pie. The soldiers fights , kills and yes...some times
dies for his brother Marine to his left and for his brother Marine
on his right!!

Now killing that wonded Iraqui soldier may have save the lives
of a few Marines and I'm all for that. I believe that if the wounded
soldier had been a U.S. Marine the Iraquies wold have torture the
Marine for a long time before killing him.

If you want to blame someone blame the war, Bush and even the
D.I. in Paris Island. This D.I. will teach a young "boot" to survive to
care for his/her fellow Marine and yes to...KILL THE ENEMY!!!
In combat is to kill or be kill!!

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 01:50 AM
link   
GET REAL - WILL YOU!!!!!

You armchair critics really p*ss me off. Have you ever put on a uniform, carried a weapon and 'been there' or 'done that'? I seriously doubt it!

Let me tell you about killing people. It is so easy and it gets easier every time you have to pull the trigger. It's your job - to kill other people. It's you or them. 'Mano a Mano' pure and simple!

The hardest part for me, at least, was the FIRST time I had to pull the trigger. The overwhelming feeling of fear of the unknown and the terror you feel when facing the 'enemy' for the first time, of 'going over the top' as it were.

CONTACT!

Your heart pounds, you break out into a sweat and you are so scared, so # scared. Rounds crack past your head [not like angry bees - that's for books] to smack (thankfully) into your mates or splatter against brickwork, showering you will little shards of brick or glass, as you scramble for whatever cover is available.

Then some dick asks 'can anyone see the enemy?' No you can't, 'cause you're flatter than a snakes arse, hugging the only friend you got - mother earth. Then......................

MOVEMENT always out of the corner of your eye. You swivvel your head, rifle muzzle following.

BASTARD! Someone taking aim, got to take them out, oh #!

TREMBLING as you try to steady your aim and control your breathing - just like they taught you on the range back home.

FUMBLING with the fcuking safety catch and shaking so much and as the first few rounds fly overhead until, finally, training takes over.

I cannot remember exactly how many rounds I fired, but I do remember the feeling of relief, the sheer joy of being alive, the exhileration of surviving the firefight.

Then, the aftermath, when it finally sinks in that you've killed another human being. The intense [for me] shame that I survived when a mate died. The absolute feeling of despair that I would probably have to do it again. Then...................... Thinking about 'The Next Time'.

[because] it will get that little bit easier [because] you know you can do it, [because] if you have enough contacts, can win the firefights and assault the objective and get through to the re-org at the other end without a scratch, than you can hack it. But only just. I still have nightmares - not that many after 25 years, but I still get them.

As to Iraq. Grow up will you? The wounded can still kill! Simple! Period! Lots of Iraqi's gave themselves up after a firefight or surrendered, then opened fire with concealed weapons.

What do you armchair warriors want? Do you want our guys to ask them if they really are surrendering or have you got any weaps on you, before they shoot the 'good guys'?

No! You make sure you slot the other bastard before he slots you!

Screaming and whooping? Yeah! Been there and done that! Kinda gets the adrenaline going and the feeling you get from just being alive - WOW

Ain't nothing like it, apart from a good shag! Or maybe watching Chelsea score another 3. Maybe.

But the nightmares.........................................

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Well said, cant argue with a single point there but we cant help feel that its not right.
You cant admit it doesnt feel right seeing another human being shot for any reason.
So this is an endless arguemnt because there is nothing right about war or killing.
with war.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
Well said, cant argue with a single point there but we cant help feel that its not right.
You cant admit it doesnt feel right seeing another human being shot for any reason.
So this is an endless arguemnt because there is nothing right about war or killing.
with war.

War will always be around,we have to learn that putting it on the screen in all its glory detail is never going to gain any simpathy we will turn people against the reasons the actions are being taken unfortunetly that feeling towards war will not push human nature to track a differant cause of action and seek a peaceful end it will cause division at a time when unity is required.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join