It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA planning repairs to cracks in Discovery's external tank

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   

NASA planning repairs to cracks in Discovery's external tank

space.flatoday.net

Two cracks in Discovery's external tank can be repaired at launch pad 39A, NASA officials say.

"This is something we've seen before, something we've repaired before," said Kyle Herring, a shuttle program spokesman at Johnson Space Center in Houston.

The cracks, each about nine inches long, were found near the top of one of the composite aluminum strips called "stringers" that run up and down the tank's ridged intertank.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
space.flatoday.net

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
This might delay the launch of space shuttle Discovery again. What is interesting is they are going to try to repair the cracks on the pad which has never been done before. With this likely being the second to last launch of the shuttle fleet it goes to show how difficult space flights are. After over 100 launches there still are massive delays due to all sorts of unforeseen problems.

space.flatoday.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jrod

Strange how ufo's were flying around on their planned launch date. Maybe thats why they were there. Stopping a tragedy or was it to stop whats inside going up?

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

I doubt there is a UFO connection. This mission is suppose to finish the International Space Station. I am a bit surprised they are doing repairs on the pad, it seems a little risky to me.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Fox News is now picking up on this story.
www.foxnews.com...

As someone who lives on the Space Coast I am used to multiple delays for a shuttle launch. Unfortunately for the tourists who plan their vacation around a launch more often than not do not get to see it because of some sort of delay. Obviously in type of endeavor it is better to be extra cautious and only launch under optimal conditions. Challenger in 1986 is an example of what happens under less than optimal conditions.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by jrod

Maybe, remind's me of when I was working @ an hospital... You NEVER get the exact info if your at the bottom of the row. Thrust me, we're all here on the planet at the very bottom row...

I'm not saying that what you say is false but I say that there's more that is been done then said about those missions.

Cheers

new topics

top topics

join