It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why why?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
...ok, that's a confusing question, so I'll give it to you in the long form.

Religious folks, why must you have an answer to the question: Why?
And why must the question "Why?" even be asked in the first place?
And I don't mean in the case of natural phenomenon, like "Why an object fall if I let it go?"

I mean the big "Why" questions like "Why do I exist?" "Why is the universe here?" etc. The questions you tend to answer with your religious views, as a good deal of your beliefs deal with these sorts of questions.

So religious people of all stripes, I'd like to understand why you ask "Why?"

I'm going to try to keep my personal contributions to this thread minimal, as it's really one of my many attempts to learn about how religious people think, so I might ask the occasional question or address questions asked to me. I'm not ignoring this thread if you don't see my typical quote-by-quote replies, I'm just listening...well, reading. It's text...anyway, I'm watching.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I think the answer to you questions is this: Everyone ask the big, "Why", the only difference is some people believe the answers they are given, some people try to find the answer for themselves and some people just accept that we may never have an answer.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by wisintel

But you're not even mentioning people like me...I don't even bother to answer the question.

To me asking "Why do we exist?" (except on a basis of scientific phenomenon) is as pointless as asking "Why is blue blue?"

It's blue...because that's what it is.

Why do we exist? Because we exist.

What's the point in asking a question that ends in a tautology.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
To me asking "Why do we exist?" (except on a basis of scientific phenomenon) is as pointless as asking "Why is blue blue?"

It's blue...because that's what it is.

Why do we exist? Because we exist.

Maybe I'm being extra thick today, Madness, but I guess that I'm not getting your question -- I agree with you, we exist because we exist, I don't know that I've ever really struggled with understanding (or even caring, for that matter) the "why" of it.

It is what it is. My faith is not predicated on a need for meaning, nor does it present me with a reason for being.

But, like I said, not feeling great today, and maybe I'm just reading you wrong, sorry.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Humans are a curious species. We ponder, think, and seek "Why" to all things. If not there would be no science, no learning, no progress, no technology, no getting better as a collective species. Us humans ask "Why" to everything.

I speak for myself. I seek the "whys" in regards to creation, existence, life, experience, reality, and consciousness because I feel it will truly help me understand myself and understand my fellow humans. I feel seeking these answers will help me to become the best me I can be.

If I drive my car without ever seeking further understandings, I will be lost when it breaks. I will not have the full benefit of my car if a thing is working incorrectly but I do not know out of ignorance. My car will only undergo degradation and never improve or correct the problems.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   

madnessinmysoul,

Why oh why, mybe with True Christians they have found more answers to the "whys' than all the rest and don't need ask why so much. Whys come up in life and there is an answer but may not come quickly. It also helps to dicuss whys among intelligent people and for me I find especially among True Christians.

Truthiron.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   

We ask why for the same reasons scientists ask why. Why does the Earth spin? Why does the ocean look blue? Etc.

The reason is because maybe one day we may stumble on an idea. An idea that will than set off a chain reaction in which clarity emerges for the first time in history.

Why to religious folk is the same thing as how in science. How does it work. Why do scientists always insist on knowing how things work? How, How how?

But in reality we ask more questions than just why. We also use how, what where, when and etc. But I think everyone uses those questions.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   

their isnt a why to me because i believe i can not comprehend it yet.

top topics

join