It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another news article related to Patriot Act

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
House Bill Would Enforce Patriot Act Secrecy Clause

Jun 22 - Even as the government increasingly comes under fire from civil libertarians for using Patriot Act provisions to seek personal information without probable cause, some lawmakers are working to expand those powers.

In recent months, signs of public outrage have begun to surface over the FBI�s use of National Security Letters (NSLs) to secretly demand information from business and public agencies about their clientele. Under one of the most controversial section of the USA PATRIOT Act, third party record holders who receive NSLs requesting information about their patrons are forbidden from telling anyone about the Letter.

newstandardnews.net...

What I love is how the government defends this by not answering question about how this affects an innocent U.S. citizen. All they do is mention terrorist, terrorist and terrorist.

[edit on 29-6-2004 by mrmulder]

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Yea, how can you automatically assume that everything in the Patriot Act is just and even effective just because it is poses as a bill to prevent terrorism? It seems that there need to be some changes within the FBI, CIA, DMV, and other government offices before they start hounding public and private businesses for information. This stuff is extremely sketchy and I believe it is only a matter of time before this blows up in our (the peoples) face even more than it already has.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   
The government is using "Terrorism" to promote easy access to your private information without having to go before the courts to obtain it. It violates our constitional rights and you can't even publicly challenge it. To top that off we still have law makers that want to increase the power of the ACT. Unbelievable

Apparently the American Library Association plans to do a survey of a thousand libraries to see how often Federal Agents have used the Patriot Act to secretly obtain the records of library patrons.
Library's plan survey

Now isn't this a violation of the Patriot Act it's self? The association does state further in the article that they will be careful to avoid identifying any libraries that respond to avoid violating the Patriot Act. But doesn't just disclosing the information put you in violation?

The ACLU is challenging the ACT and has had to file the complaint "sealed" in court for fear of the complaint it's self being a violation of the Patroit Act.

The ACLU filed the complaint under seal, for fear that doing otherwise itself would be a Patriot Act violation. And indeed, Judge Victor Marrero subsequently ruled that not only the complaint, but also everything in the case must be kept under seal.

ACLU Challenge

Is talking about it a violation of the ACT? Hmmm....I think my file just got larger.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 11:36 AM
link   
When the government, or the president can arbitrarily label citizens as terrorists, we should all be very, very afraid - and ready to do anything we can to put a stop to it.

Wake up America! No one is safe in this brave new world!

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Whenever I tell people how bad the Patriot Act is they say "well you're not a terrorist, so unless you do something bad you have nothing to worry about." Well I'm worried about the fact that the government HAS that ability even if they're not gonna use it on me anytime soon. If the government wanted to they could fabricate some reason that I'm a criminal and come after me, and the Patriot Act just makes it easier.

E_T

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 11:46 AM
link   
My uncle is Lebanese, but he's not first generation and he used to work for the state, writing and editing budgets and so he traveled around frequently having meetings here and there...Right after the attacks, when they were detaining any "arab looking" people boarding flights, etc. he was stopped in almost every airport he went to until things began to die down - His skin tone is very light for middle eastern descent, he has a Masters degree in psychology and he's a very well respected man amongst his peers...

Does the government care to stope and look at these things? No...they still use your skin color to make flase judgments, waisitng people's time and depriving them of their freedoms...it's incredible what lengths our government will go to.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   
For now it's the Aye-Rabs. Next who knows. In Hitler's Germany, he was rounding up homosexuals in the 30's and placing them in concentration camps. They were the first to be executed.

Basically, anyone the government deems as their personal enemy (dissidents, CHristians, homosexuals) will be designated as terrorists. If we do not put a stop to this now, it will only get worse. And by then, there will be no stopping it.

Everyone - with the exception of the most wealthy elite - are in danger! Take that to the bank.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I fear the Government more than a terrorist.

But wait, the Government is the terrorist.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   
EastCoastKid, you made me think... There is a trend in the ACLU to make Christians seem evil, and they're trying to take away our ability to practice our religion. What happens if this is because of the government, and some day we ARE labeled as terrorists? I truly hope we never have to face such a thing...

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Faisca
EastCoastKid, you made me think... There is a trend in the ACLU to make Christians seem evil, and they're trying to take away our ability to practice our religion. What happens if this is because of the government, and some day we ARE labeled as terrorists? I truly hope we never have to face such a thing...
I think that you will eventually face such a threat. I've read many articles about how those in Power over the United States wish to get rid of the "Patriots" and "Christians", those who wish to protect America.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Well I guess all I can do right now is keep praying that the Patriot Act 2 doesnt get passed, and that the Patriot Act goes away... =/ Probably won't happen though.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   

I truly believe that day is coming. If you read the scriptures on the end times, one can only come to that conclusion. I don't think it's so much coming from the ACLU, per se. It comes more from those who only claim to know God, in all positions of power. (False Prophets) They are all around us.

I believe that after the rapture (bear with me for a moment, non-believers) occurs, the witch hunt will begin in earnest for those who have come to their senses and accept Christ as their savior. According to the scriptures, they will pay the ultimate price in martyrdom.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Well I guess all I can do right now is keep praying that the Patriot Act 2 doesnt get passed, and that the Patriot Act goes away... =/ Probably won't happen though.

Faisca, you can do more! Keep praying, but also call and write your congressmen, senators and any media outlets that you can. Make as many people aware of what is really going on and what we face in the future. Be a PATRIOT! And FEAR NOT!

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
According to the scriptures, they will pay the ultimate price in martyrdom.
Are you saying those who "believe" will become the very terrorists that Governments wish to stop against any future uprising?

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by IMMORTAL

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
According to the scriptures, they will pay the ultimate price in martyrdom.
Are you saying those who "believe" will become the very terrorists that Governments wish to stop against any future uprising?

No, no, no. What I meant is that after the rapture - according to the scriptures - anyone who accepts Jesus Christ as his/her savior will be executed for their belief. Didn't mean to confuse.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   
EastCoastKid I wasn't aware that you knew about end times prophecy, that's even better. Because yeah I can definitely see that happening in regards to what we read in Revelations.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Yes, I'm a Christian - not the most pious, mind you - and I've studied the scriptures for over 20 years now. The learning process never ends.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by IMMORTAL
I think that you will eventually face such a threat. I've read many articles about how those in Power over the United States wish to get rid of the "Patriots" and "Christians", those who wish to protect America.

Aren't the people pushing the Patriot Act and it's agenda Christians? Ashcroft? Bush? Maybe they are apart of a cabal to begin the end of days. That would explain some really irrational foreign and domestic decisions. They are trying to bring in the apocolypse, to hurry Christ's return.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Well I'm glad to have found another one of us out there =).

And I'd just like to let you know that I have actually done some of the advice you gave me in regards to the Patriot Act. I wrote an entire article about it for my school newspaper, hopefully I opened up some eyes and minds across campus. I plan on writing something for my local newspaper also. So we'll see, every little bit helps.

If not... Well when the crap goes down the government can send their boys after me, but they'll have to find me in the tons of acres I have behind my house and they probably won't end up taking me alive... So martyrdom here I come, I guess...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join