It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tyler Perry; Am I the only one who doesn't find anything he does remotely funny?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I believe the title says it fairly well;

I honestly believe that, I mean I can't watch anything this guy makes but why does he get success?

Is it the mere lack of quality stuff out there? I cringe when I hear the name as I know there isn't anything on this planet that could make anything he creates interesting or humorous. What happened to funny? Its like now we just are left its retard cousin.

If your a fan, thats cool, to each their own I suppose however not my bag, nothing against him personally.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Who is Tyler Perry?
I enjoy to watch Pixar movies and Pixar movie accessories.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I'd say the guy in the photograph obviously.

lmgtfy.com...
edit on 10-11-2010 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

Oh that guy! He's a riot! Hahaha. Not!
I agree with you he's overrated. I guess if someone like's him then fine.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
he's the m. night shymalan of black comedy. had 1 or 2 really funny movies then just blehhh. i don't even know if i have seen any of his movies but regardless blehh. from what i remember of all the stupid commercials for his movies he just used stereotypes as characters in all of his movies which never stops being funny i guess.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   

This is awesome. I've spent the past year and a half reading this site and all the different conspiracy theories, predictions, and political opinions that everyone posts on here, and never once felt like opening an account to join in on the conversation.... until I read this post.

Tyler Perry is so UNfunny, my wife and I are baffled as to why he is still in show business. We even used to give his new shows an honest chance, watching a couple entire episodes before throwing in the towel. "Tyler Perry's House Of Cr@p (Payne)" was the last straw, though. Now we cringe every time we hear the talentless hack's name, and scramble for the remote before the show starts.

Awesome post, Lysergic, I'm on your side with this one. We should get a petition together to get him thrown out of Hollywood..... lol

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by jhnsmth

Sweet, to think this got you to open an acct and make your first post for our shared "unenjoyment" of his brand of entertainment.

I don't understand why people like him, that Madea sp? or whatever it is...

I know people that loved it, and they defend it, and I ask, have you been deprived your whole life from actual funny?

If only he realized himself how not funny he is.
edit on 10-11-2010 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
The only character of his that I like is Madea. But I learned the hard way that even if Madea is in the title of the movie it means she will only be in the movie for like 5 min...tops. Everything else is stupid. I've come to the conclusion that when he puts Madea in the movie title it means he's trying to trick you to go and see it. By the time you realize the only good character isn't really in the movie's main plot it's too late to get your money back. Bad comedian, crafty businessman?

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   

I personally cannot stand him anymore...I heard about him a long time ago when he was just producing plays before he hit the mainstream. But I have a lot of friends who love his movies and the messages he tries to get across. If you can get past madea and that terrible show meet the browns, a lot of his movies serve to show the struggles of women of color and how they can get through it with God etc etc etc. So while I hate him I can understand while some people love his work.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Did yall see him on Oprah, crying aboput being molested by three different people growing up? My sis and I were watching, and we just were like, WTF??

If you can find it on youtube, take a gander.

I would not know if he is funny I never have seen one of his stupid looking shows. I just found his intrview on Ope very strange.

Link to Oprahs page, about the intrview:

www.oprah.com...

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Somebody tried to get me to watch that crap once. Meh. Zoned out a minute into it. Bunch of buffoons. No thanks.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
His stuff is the blaxploitation of today and I agree, it's not very funny. He's found his niche and he's going to beat it to death.

I'd be interested in knowing what percentage of African Americans even watch that garbage.

Peace

edit on 10-11-2010 by Dr Love because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal

If you can get past madea and that terrible show meet the browns, a lot of his movies serve to show the struggles of women of color and how they can get through it with God etc etc etc. So while I hate him I can understand while some people love his work.

That's exactly how he gets them, with his dramas showing the struggles of African American women, and how God helps them through it. Then you have his comedies which are (as Dr Love pointed out) the blaxploitation of today.

So it looks like he basically wrote two scripts a long time ago and just keeps rewriting the same stories over and over. The dramas are there to reel in the churchies and the bleeding hearts, then the comedies (if you can call them that) are there to pay his bills with mindless and feeble attempts at comedy.

As much as I can't stand watching anything he puts out, he seems to have stumbled on a really good formula for success. He's a total hack, but he's making millions.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   

no. he sucks.

new topics

top topics

join