It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools get go-ahead to teach Paganism alongside major religions

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Djin
Perhaps there is a place for religion in social studies but I'm totally apposed to dogmas being taught to children as some sort of truth.

...agreed, no religious dogma should be taught in public schools - but - do teach the historical and current use of religions as political weapons...

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Well, I suppose the label "pagan" fits me, although there are a couple of words which would fit better, its just that, in modern parlance, they no longer mean what they once did. I'm getting a bit uncomfortable with the term "witch" also, b/c it does have a specific meaning, but is coming to be another catch all term. I'm in several minds about this story.
If other religions are going to be explained, in their historical & social context to kids, then pagan traditions ought to be also. However purely that. The problems I see are that there's very little that can be taught about it accurately for 4 reasons:
1) Very little is known about the various beliefs which come under the heading "pagan" in their historical context, other than Roman & christian accounts, which are certainly biased.
2) Many pagan sects are "Mystery Cults", to use the correct term (ie "cult" in this context doesn't mean some charismatic leader taking advantage of the gullible), so had/have levels of initiation. Thus the info that is available is the tip of the iceberg.
3) Modern pagan revival has taken place in cultures steeped in judeo-christian ideas. This has influenced not only genuine practice & thought, but also what can be reported about such, even more. Still more insidious is that, since there is very little dogma, even in such as Gardnerian or Alexandrian Wicca, Modern Druidry, or Norse Revival, any dogma is undermined by those belief systems placing personal expression, even within a group setting, high up, if not at the top of, the list of priorities, thus, such texts which are available that could be taught from leave an individual to both read between the lines & also bring their own interpretation to what the text actually says. Where does a teacher get their interpretation from? You dont have to be brought up religiously to be full of judeo-christian ideas in the west. Its a potential double whammy of misinterpretation!
4) Its unlikely a highschool teacher will grasp the differences between paganism & most religion.

<< 1   >>

join