Can We Within the T&C, And Bump Our Threads?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
There has been MUCH discussions about people that have taken lots of time to make threads and they are being ignored due to either doom and gloom, prophecies, or ***** BREAKING NEWS****!!!!!. So is it possible for those that believe in their threads, and taken the time and research that some have taken to make a great point, or inform the masses be bumped, by the OP?

I dont mean coming up with new and exciting news, but go with what they have and give a chance to their hard work to be looked at, due to sometimes people missing it. I happen to write my threads late, and notice that either there are people that have been... lets say are inebriated, or looking to have fun, while others threads are ignored because lets face it, at 2 am people dont want to read something interesting.

There shouldn't be a time frame for those that have something to say to wait until they can get daytime "traffic".

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
It would be nice. I noticed some that I posted late didn't go anywhere.

link   
I think bumping your own thread should be fine (though I don't know if it is within the T & C). What I find irritating is when someone starts a thread, then 1 hour later says, "What?! Nobody cares? Really?!)

Patience is a virtue. Not everybody will have read the post within an hour.

link   
Welcome to my world
I live in Australia so most of my posting is done when the northern hemisphere is fast asleep. I can't tell you the amount of threads I've started that went nowhere because of the time difference.

But then again I guess there's not enough of us Aussies to give two hoots about is there.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   
We all have different times, whether its where you are located on the map, or your job. Its so different, and by the time you wake up, or the time you go to bed, your thread is lost. I dont think that its fair, and there should be some rule for us to be able to post a either one liner, or something in order to get our point across. Without breaking the rules.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   
If it is as good as you say it is, we will find it, and post in it. dont worry about bumping your own thread.

you can always put a link in your sig, so more people see it.
edit on 10-11-2010 by MR BOB because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
if you post a comment about the topic then you are bumping it and within t&c if you just post the word bump then you are under the two line limit and against t&c if you post two sentences saying your just bumping then i've no idea if it'd be t&c or on topic,

threads loose a lot of exposure once they are off the recent post list, but they still get found by some,

my two cents anyhow.
edit on 11/10/10 by pryingopen3rdeye because: spelling

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Best thing to do is hold a little back so if you come back later you can post the bit you held in a way of bumping for some that missed it

Thanks

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by mars1
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Best thing to do is hold a little back so if you come back later you can post the bit you held in a way of bumping for some that missed it

Thanks

Bump! LoL

Seriously though, the most annoying thing for me is putting a great deal of time and effort into a thread that I personally find interesting, only to discover that I am the only person that finds it interesting

I tend to leave threads like that alone and feel a little embarrassed that I have added something to the board which has no interest.

Having said that I can also say that there are plenty of threads out there that get squillions of responses and stars and flags for the most stupendous inane subject, with no actual content.

That is annoying!!!

But hey, you can't keep a good man down right?

Korg.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Well even this type of topic seems to be getting lost in the weeds, but thats ok, at least I know that some of you realize it.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I wouldn't suggest bumping a thread with the word "bump" or any other single word or phrase, but it is certainly permitted to make a post to your own thread such that it is "bumped" by that means.

A simple statement to the fact that you think the thread has some relevance at that particular time and why would suffice.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Thank you so much for that. I was concerned about both breaking T&C and having my threads disappear and not know that there is a way for me to revive them properly.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
It's always a pleasure.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Maybe more of us should use the new feature that tells us when our friends create new threads?

It can't be done all the time, but a word of appreciation or some relevant new information will bump a thread that we know is dear to someone. Very valuable if our friends are in different time zones

And, part of the value of trolls is that they at least get your thread a bit more attention.
Trolls

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I wouldn't suggest bumping a thread with the word "bump" or any other single word or phrase, but it is certainly permitted to make a post to your own thread such that it is "bumped" by that means.

A simple statement to the fact that you think the thread has some relevance at that particular time and why would suffice.

I hope that doesn't mean I’ve contravened the Ts&Cs for my above post does it?

Just joking

Seriously though, there should be something about this subject in the initial video when people sign up, cause it is kind of an etiquette.

Love ya all, Well except a few

Korg.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
If I put a lot of time and effort into writing what I feel is a significant thread that is worth reading, then I make the extra effort to try to make sure that a fair number of members I suspect will enjoy reading it know about it by sending them a U2U.

I go through the list of people who have selected me as a friend, and select those ones who I know have had an interest in aspects of that subject or topic in the past and send them a nice friendly little U2U saying hi and telling them about the thread, a brief discription of what it is about, and a link to it.

I will also look at the recent posts board and if there are threads active along a similiar genre, I will pull them up and U2U some of the people who are participating in that thread.

Most of the members I write, often write back thanking me, they appreciate that I am taking the time and effort to make sure they specifically know about it.

Those who write threads themselves then will often in the future U2U to let me know they just posted a new thread and when they do, I always try to go check it out and leave a comment after reading it.

Once a thread picks up a dozen or so replies and a dozen or so flags, members at large are much more inclined to click on it and check it out, and from there if it's a good thread, well it will keep growing all by itself.

Some people don't think it's a good idea or even fair that they might need to put that kind of extra effort into getting a thread off the ground, but hey if you really put a lot of time into it, and you really feel it's worth reading, and you want it to really have some attention, then go ahead and put the extra time and effort to market it yourself to some other members.

If you are going to stay online on ATS waiting for people to reply so you can reply back to them, then you might as well put that waiting time to good use, and U2U people about your latest, greatest effort!

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
A thread is more than one post. I never put all the information into my opening post, and sometimes the thread is based off of news happening now, so research your topic and then come back and add more information.

I believe if you start a thread you have aduty to keep it filled with new tidbits to keep it going. Always respond to everyone in the first say two to three pages if you really want your thread to take off.

At any rate adding new info is not considered bumping your own thread.

Bumping it with a bump, no no.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
If I put a lot of time and effort into writing what I feel is a significant thread that is worth reading, then I make the extra effort to try to make sure that a fair number of members I suspect will enjoy reading it know about it by sending them a U2U.

ahhh so you are the ATS phantom spammer I keep hearing about!

Hehehe joking again

I 100% agree with you!! That’s actually a really good idea. Is there a way to do a group u2u? I don't mean to the whole board but to your friends??

But as I highlighted earlier sometimes I write what I believe to be very interesting things but then they get maybe 2 or 3 replies before doing a swanny.

Ironic as these threads are my more serious topics of research into quantum mechanics and such like, yet the threads I have created about the mystery hat man at MJ's funeral, or missing wings on 911 footage get like 50 pages and loads of stars...

I guess the majority of readers on ATS prefer tabloid style conspiracy rather than science / meta physics.

Just my experience thus far.

All the best,

Korg.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

How do you u2u people your threads? One at a time,or can we mass u2u?

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Korg Trinity

No there is no way to send out mass U2U's and they actually control the rate you can send individual ones through a flood gate.

This works for me though because I always try to make each one a personal note to a certain extent, if I know the person lives in Chicago, I will ask how's the weather there in Chicago, how about those cubs, if we have more of a friendship than that, then I will ask some other more personal questions.

Now here is the thing, there are a good number of posters on ATS interested in things like Quantum physics, what they really aren't interested in is wading through tons of unrelated threads, so U2Uing them really makes them happy.

So you might want to go through some existing threads on Quantum physics and make yourself a list of the members who respond to and create these threads.

When you U2U them about your own, just say you noticed from the boards that they are normally interested in this topic.

The other great thing about doing this, is you will get high quality replies from the beginning, instead of people posting
what's this all about, or the board tabloid poster goofing on the subject because it's not one they are familiar with.

Having people who really appreciate and know the topic make the intitial replies really greatly adds to the quality of your thread, other members stumbling on it then see a truly quality discussion is taking place.

It might take you an hour or two to send out the U2U's you want, but it will be well worth it. Pulling up their mini-profile first you can check when they were last on line, if they haven't signed on in six months you might not want to U2U them, but focus on people who have signed on within the last day to week.

Give it a try, it works for me.

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join