It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheerleader refuses to cheer for rapist, gets kicked off squad

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   

There’s been a recent controversy brewing over a high school cheerleader in Texas who was allegedly sexually assaulted by three classmates, including Rakheem Bolton, who plays football and basketball for the school.

“During a basketball game, [the student] cheered for the entire team but refused to cheer “Rakheem” during his free-throws.”

And for that…she was removed from the cheerleading squad

News article

Link to CNN news video

How insensitive are we becoming as a country, culture?

A suit by her parents was dismissed by an appeals court, who said her refusal “constituted substantial interference with the work of the school because, as a cheerleader, [she] was at the basketball game for the purpose of cheering, a position she undertook voluntarily.”

Why are we so obsessed with being politically correct? How can you even start to justify that?
A young girl gets sexually assaulted, and our "justice" system basically sides with that rapist over a technicality?? It's outrageous.

Thoughts?

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
What I hate about this country is that we take sports to seriously. What I mean is that schools care more about sports then the education of children.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by casijones

WTF are you talking about the Justice system?

This has nothing to do with the justice system. Believe it or not, lawyers making several hundred an hour don't have time to debate over whether a girl should be kicked off a school cheer leading squad because she didn't cheer hard enough..

This is a school matter.. And I couldn't give a damn about a cheerleader getting kicked off her squad.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj
reply to post by casijones

This is a school matter.. And I couldn't give a damn about a cheerleader getting kicked off her squad.

Then why read the thread and reply if you don't care?
It's the principal of the matter.
It's another example of how everything in this country is getting ridiculous and out of control because of technicalities.
No one cares about what's right or wrong.
It's about guidelines and laws and being PC to make everyone happy.
edit on 10-11-2010 by casijones because: ETA

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I can see where the courts are coming from. She offered to be a cheerleader on her own accord and should comply if not she has the option to quit. It's a sad status I know but it's what they go by, yet what I want to know is how the person is still playing sports if the allegation is true or if they even tried to press the charges. I thought that if something of this magnitude were to come up for a sports person especially in a school setting they would effectively be dropped from the team. I feel like I may be missing a key element in this though that would hand me an answer on pretty much a silver platter.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
--[Double post]--
edit on 10-11-2010 by MystiqueAgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Well, cheerleaders should not have to cheer for rapists, and E.R doctors shouldn't have to operate on blacks if they've been robbed by a black person.

As a matter of fact, bank tellers shouldn't have to deposit money from fat people.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Some of you guys replies... I dunno.. Kinda make me want to buy a one way ticket off this planet.

Given the circumstances, she should have been given the leeway to not cheer for someone she had accused of sexual harassment. Honestly, it's not a big deal at a friggen HS basketball game. What harm did it cause? What function does cheerleading do other than self confidence for the cheerleaders themselves? If what she accused these boys of is true, this incident will be far more scarring than the initial one because she's been demonized and punished for coming forward.

Geez, you'd think by the responses and how she was dealt with that she was handling sensitive nuclear info.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Would have been nice to know what was actually behind the accused report a little more. Think if it was plain and cut the boy wouldn`t be playing in school sports. But I can understand her right not to cheer for him with such a crime to her.
Would have been nice if the Cheer team did the same as her. Thought they were sort of a pack type deal. Must be wrong.

The schools need to focus on teaching and forget the sports crap. Or at least be fair and Have Nascar sponsored sports but that`s another subject..

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Connman

That's dealing with the conclusion I'm trying not to jump to. If the boys were essential members of the team, this could easily be a messed up incident. It's happened before plenty of times. Sports bring money into the school and a ton of it. $5 a head at 300 attending per game isn't bad in itself not to mention concessions that are over priced.

new topics

top topics

join