It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

size and power of lazer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Does it posible to build small size laser and enough powerfull to destroyed land-air missile?

If yes. then how?

If no. then why?

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   
anything is possible

it all depends on the power source that you would use for the laser and the range that you want

(learn to spell)

XL5

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
It would fit in a short bus and maybe a large work (not soccer mom) van.

Lasers waste lots of power by making heat and light that is not used, so they need big power supplys and or big gass tanks.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   
What about aircraft witj size of f-18, f-22 or su-47 (fighters)?
And then be air suport for ather fighters. when it go in enemy territory.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Well no.

I think about fighter plain, not boing 747 (flyng castel)

I was thinking about manoeuvreble plain.

Does it posible?

XL5

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Nope, lasers like those are way too heavy to be in anything that is supose to be agile. These lasers are at least 1000 pounds, fighters need to be as light weight as possible.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 05:11 PM
link   
The Joint Strike Fighter is getting equpied with a laser.

XL5

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 07:01 PM
link   
A laser? For what use, painting targets, range finding? How big is this fighter?

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   
the laser on the JSF will be for painting a target and for other things such as better awarnes and so on read below.

EOTS will be based on the Sniper XL pod developed for the F-16, which incorporates a mid-wave third generation FLIR, dual mode laser, CCD TV, laser tracker and laser marker. BAE Systems Avionics in Edinburgh, Scotland will provide the laser systems. DAS consists of multiple infrared cameras (supplied by Indigo Systems of Goleta, California) providing 360� coverage using advanced signal conditioning algorithms. As well as situational awareness, DAS provides navigation, missile warning and infrared search and track (IRST). EOTS is embedded under the aircraft�s nose, and DAS sensors are fitted at multiple locations on the aircraft.

www.airforce-technology.com...

[edit on 30-6-2004 by WestPoint23]

XL5

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Yeah, thats a low power laser it can probably burn through black paper but not through steel.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by XL5
Yeah, thats a low power laser it can probably burn through black paper but not through steel.

I doubt even that.... Most of these lasers in the 1 Watt or less range (total optical power-for comparison the average laser pointer is 1 milliwatt).

To start to burn through anything you would need at least 10 watts (given a 2 cm square beam - typical with long ranges) of continuous power (much less if it is pulsed).

The size of lasers needed to burn through anything substantial is still quite large, far too big for any fighter aircraft.

XL5

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I have seen 2 watt laser diodes burn black paper on ebay and my stupid friend made a red squiggly mark on the back of his hand with a 100mW multi-line argon laser. 10W is the point where the fun starts lol.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by XL5
I have seen 2 watt laser diodes burn black paper on ebay and my stupid friend made a red squiggly mark on the back of his hand with a 100mW multi-line argon laser. 10W is the point where the fun starts lol.

Like I said, it all depends on the beam size. Within short ranges you can get very small beams. But with the ranges you deal with in military applications very large beam sizes are a fact of life.

No matter how good your optics are you can't get around atmospheric distortion.

XL5

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Well yeah, at a distance the beam does widen and the 10W would be needed at miles away to do that.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 02:14 AM
link   
What's the power of the lasers that the military is developing to shoot down artillery shells and missiles I saw one of those lasers on TV and the laser beam itself was the width of a finger but it burned a hole through a 1 inch carbon steel plate in about 4 seconds.

XL5

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 02:37 AM
link   
The power to do that is over 4KW output, probably 10KW or more input. CO2 lasers are about 30% efficient. If its a chemical laser, it still needs to output 4KW and up to burn through steel that fast.

new topics

top topics

join