It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Insurance Cos. trying to enroll me for life ins. Representing MY Bank?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Before I sound foolish, I told my bank in person on site (the day I opened my account) that I do not want anything solicited to me...If I want it, I will seek it out...

You know it's a drag when telemarketers spam your home phone? My number is unpublished, first-off. And not in any paperwork I filled-out at my bank...

Check this out...Two months ago some Life Insurance creep calls me on behalf of my bank wanting to enroll me for a 30 day trial period of their life insurance program. They already knew my name...It wasn't until the "Supervisor" got on the line to accept my unwillingness to enroll in the free trial...Because after 30 days it becomes costly, and you have to contact them to take you off the program...No refunds given...Automatic deduction before the free trial begins...

I'm jumping ahead of myself, sorry.

These creeps wouldn't take "no" for an answer, kept handing the phone off to the next higher staff member.

According to whoever I spoke to, the call was being recorded for quality assurance purposes. They gave themselves away by not accepting no as an answer; really pushy-like.

So, I'm on the line with this "Supervisor" creep, I make her explain the whole scope to me all over again... These people are not even close to being consistent with how the program works...

So I act like a fish and take a bite. Next thing you know, this creep supposedly representing my bank asks me for my account number...("I don't give that on phone-line", I tell her.) Then this creep asks me my mothers maiden name...("I don't give that on phone-line", I tell her.) Then she asks what my SSN is...("I don't give that on phone-line", I tell her.) ThenI confronted her with; "If you represent my bank, why are you asking me privacy concerns on the phone line?" Phone call ends abruptly.

OK. So the creeps failed their first attempt then...

Fast-forward to today. My wife tells me the bank is on the phone and wants to speak with me.

"Yes, hi. Would you like to be enrolled in a free 30 day trial for the life insurance being offered to you through your bank?"

"I told my bank not to solicit me, what are you doing soliciting me?"

"Yes, well, let me tell you ..." Can I just interrupt you? I ask.

"Yes, well, let me tell you about what is being offered..."

"I'm not interested."

"I'm not interested."

"I'm not interested."

It took three times for this person to hear the word "NO."

Yes, I do have alot of patience...

Basically, I opened this thread to ask any members here if they have encountered this kind of persistence by someone claiming to be a bank representative when you first say "Hello."

These people are not at all who they claim to be. I'm just giving you all a heads-up. The first thing to ask yourself is; My bank isn't even open at this time of night, why is my bank calling me?

These creeps really try their hardest, just hang the phone up, you don't have to be polite and wait for their sentences stacking up to finally end.

They claim to be Minnesota something...I live on the west coast, a member of AARP, and triple A.

I have no need to be contacted by some insurance-based scam operation claiming to be affiliated with my bank...

I'm going to my bank tomorrow to expose this operation, Then I'll remind them I don't want to be solicited by any affiliations...I'll post more when I return with whatever the bank says; if it is legit or not...

I find this whole thing suspicious, how about you???

Thanks for reading.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Highly suspicious! You absolutely did the right thing.
Never ever give out that kind of information to anyone who called you.

Good luck trying to get the bank to do anything. I've gotten bogus money orders through scams... US Postal money orders mind you, looked absolutely real. Took them to the post office, meh! They could care less. I've seen so many scams and I'm convinced that they continue to get away with it because these financial institutions are insured against such losses so, it just gets written off and there's never a significant effort to shut it down. Just the cost of doing business which of course gets passed on to you and me.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
It's a scam for sure. I would report them to the appropriate authoritys including your bank.

The federal police where I'm from suggest not talking to anyone you don't know over the phone. Ever.

Good advice if you ask me.

I just hang up as soon as I realise the caller is not someone I know. Either that or I will take them down the daisy trail with false names, bank details etc...

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scalded Frog
Highly suspicious! You absolutely did the right thing.
Never ever give out that kind of information to anyone who called you.

Good luck trying to get the bank to do anything. I've gotten bogus money orders through scams... US Postal money orders mind you, looked absolutely real. Took them to the post office, meh! They could care less. I've seen so many scams and I'm convinced that they continue to get away with it because these financial institutions are insured against such losses so, it just gets written off and there's never a significant effort to shut it down. Just the cost of doing business which of course gets passed on to you and me.

Yup, I knew the minute I said hello this was a scam...My bank is closed after 6:00 at the latest. My phone rings at 7:15 pm.

My phone number is unlisted/unpublished on purpose. I don't give it out except to people I want calling me. My bank has only my email, or my house address. I'm not sure about my phone number, I doubt it though.

And what you say about the feds correcting these issues rings true; it's never until after the fact that damage results in large-scale that they pursue investigation. Just like how many people have to die at a rail road crossing before they install warning lights/barriers. Or stop signs for that matter.

Thanks for your post.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Highlander_
It's a scam for sure. I would report them to the appropriate authoritys including your bank.

The federal police where I'm from suggest not talking to anyone you don't know over the phone. Ever.

Good advice if you ask me.

I just hang up as soon as I realise the caller is not someone I know. Either that or I will take them down the daisy trail with false names, bank details etc...

Yeah, I have caller ID and these numbers come back as out of state, but the ten digits...I'll do a reverse number look-up with these creeps in the mean time.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
WhitePages
UNPUBLISHED
Lookup who owns (619) 374-XXXX
Type of phone:
Landline
Most likely location(s):
1. San Diego, CA
© 2010 WhitePages Inc.
This San Diego "firm" calls themselves Minnesota Indemnity or something like that.

I did a reverse phone number lookup, and wouldn't you know it, UNPUBLISHED. I'm pretty certain a legitimate firm will not use an unpublished number...

Looks like I'll be turning this over to the police, lets hope they don't drop the ball...

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by loveguy

next time just hang up. the more words you say, the more they could possibly be used against you. it is happening over here in the uk with some of the big concerns. i would not put it past any of these scumbags to record your voice and prompt you to say certain key words. before you know it you have agreed to a platinum life policy at monthly rates in line with mortgage payments and they will claim to have your agreement recorded.
i mean how easy would it be for someone to graft a sentence together with todays gizmo software.
i have had three high pressure in the past week. one got aggressive another gave up and the third just repeated himself over and over like he lost the plot. a curse on you all for not taking no for an answer.
f

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by fakedirt
reply to post by loveguy

next time just hang up. the more words you say, the more they could possibly be used against you. it is happening over here in the uk with some of the big concerns. i would not put it past any of these scumbags to record your voice and prompt you to say certain key words. before you know it you have agreed to a platinum life policy at monthly rates in line with mortgage payments and they will claim to have your agreement recorded.
i mean how easy would it be for someone to graft a sentence together with todays gizmo software.
i have had three high pressure in the past week. one got aggressive another gave up and the third just repeated himself over and over like he lost the plot. a curse on you all for not taking no for an answer.
f

Yes, thank you.

I don't have a mortgage, I'm not paying-off any loans. I maintain a checking account and that is all. I have no other use for any bank.

I'm sure I'll be getting called again in another month or so...I'm going to tell them to remove my number from their call list.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by loveguy

over in the uk we have a telephone preference service which once activated cuts nuisance calls to next to zero.
if the companies persist they can be fined heavily and you as a customer can receive compensation.
another means of complaining is ofcom i believe.
our current telephone nuisance is a well known gas supplier who shafted us with a huge bill a couple of years ago. they treated us like scum when it happened. they now want us back as customers and at the mo i just reply by laughing and telling the salesman he was lucky the wife never answered.
f

new topics

top topics

join