It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is it that really crappy off the wall threads get a billion flags, but the well thought out ones

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by malcr

The following statement is true: The preceeding statement was false.

You were correct in you assessment of that post. It completely contradicted itself, but you would be hard pressed to get the author to see that.

At any rate, I thought I would add an example of what it is that I'm refering to. There was a thread that predicted (always an indicator that BS will follow) that some huge, Earth shattering, history altering event was GOING to happen on a certain date last week. Up until this DOOMSDAY date, this thread garnered almost 90 flags, even though it was plain to see that it was just bogus. But the real kicker is that it got THREE flags after the date had passed and the prediction was proven to be complete horse excrement!

Personally, I have adopted a policy of giving the threads I really want read a sensational, tabloid-like title, as that seems to be the only way to get the membership at large to even read them!

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
reply to post by malcr

Personally, I have adopted a policy of giving the threads I really want read a sensational, tabloid-like title, as that seems to be the only way to get the membership at large to even read them!

Now you're getting somewhere

Like Zazz & others have lamented, my absolute best work here went pretty much ignored, but the more ludicrous, off the cuff stuff turned to gold.

I don't get it

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

I have never had a problem getting a thread I felt was important off the ground, I simply U2U people on my friends list, and those who I know have an interest in that type of subject.

It just requires a little extra time, thought and effort, so no, you really don't have to use misleading or highly sensationalized titles.

By contacting quality posters interested in the subject, you are also bound to start out the thread with a lot of quality replies. Add that to a quality opening piece, the stars and flags the initial posters you invite bring, and it won't be long before other members begin to see your thread on the board for the high quality work it is and want to join in too.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
...oh, you mean threads like this. the moment you mention stars and flags is the moment I hit the back button to look for posts by intelligent people. you should try it too.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

I flagged this for ya
haha

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by CastleMadeOfSand

Well, the threads I'm talking about make no mention of stars or flags... And I did NOT write this one to seek either. If you were to bother to look at my mini-profile, I need neither...

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   

reply to post by CastleMadeOfSand

Well, the threads I'm talking about make no mention of stars or flags... And I did NOT write this one to seek either. If you were to bother to look at my mini-profile, I need neither...

Can I have some of your flags if you have any going spare?

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

You can have all the flags I got from this thread...

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

I also noticed that JR

It also happens with timeline shift threads. For example, the one about Australia and New Zealand being out of place on the map. Funny how all those that flagged that, or that believed it, were not from Australia or New Zealand, in fact most were products of the American education system.

It got a tremendous amount of flags with no proof at all, when it was more likely that people had pretty crappy knowledge about geography. Sorry to attack the USA again, but isnt it true that at least half of the country cant even pick out Iraq on a map? I heard that somewhere

Oh and for the record my post on that thread got more stars than the OP....

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Because sex sells.

And you ain't sexy enough. Jax has to be tabloid content, you know that.

Well thought out posts and threads actually take brain power.

I've noticed here lately that the more bogus or ignorant a thread is, the more flags it gets. Meanwhile, those threads that the author put sincere time, energy and thought into remain unflagged and unreplied to... Someone makes a doomday prediction about a date next week because of the pattern of wrinkles on his baby's butt, flagapulooza, but someone else spends hours researching and writing a thread and the cobwebs begin forming the second it's posted...

There has to be some psychological reason behind this... What is it?

*Of course, I full well expect this thread to die, as it lacks that 'tabloid' touch....

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   

I think that my personal best threads have been thread fails

I feel you there... I've been lucky enough to have some of my good threads get pages of responses, but there are also some I've done that I wished got more reads....and that quickly went into an early thread grave...

Nothing to be done for it really...just is what it is...

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Hehe... well this topic is familiar to me. I've given up long ago on receiving Flags for my threads. Every now and then I manage one that goes double-digit, but not often. I try to concentrate on topics that interest me and that I've put some work into (for the most part) and if I post a thread, it's one that I find interesting and that I don't mind having as part of my "profile record"... ie. you won't catch me posting an "I'm an alien thread" ever... Lol.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
The latest ATS craze... The TSA and Wikileaks... Sure there are a few legitimate threads, but then there's the rest... The TSA ate my baby... Wikileaks is ran my Reptilians... Crap, I just gave away two ideas... I'm sure I'll see both of them within 24 hours now...

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join